Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Best shipping rates?

sansan239s
2011-03-16, 1:25pm
I wasn't sure where to ask this question, but I figured our L.E. vendors would know best. I need to ship a box that weighs under 10lbs to B.C, Canada and I would like to know which shipping company is going to give me the best rate: USPS, UPS, DHL, Fed Ex???

If this needs to be moved to another catagory, please let me know! thanks Sandy

junko
2011-03-16, 1:59pm
I always ship by USPS to Canada because the other companies charge the recipient extra fees on top of the customs fees they will have to pay.

Lisi
2011-03-16, 4:27pm
I always ship by USPS to Canada because the other companies charge the recipient extra fees on top of the customs fees they will have to pay.

Agreed.

sansan239s
2011-03-16, 11:06pm
Excellent. thanks for the advise!

Ari'elle
2011-03-17, 11:06am
Make sure you get a Priority Mail Flat Rate box, will save you a little money if the package has a little weight to it and your items can fit in it.

penny5658
2011-04-09, 1:03am
Hi
I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I was aways getting items by Priority Post. It was always way to much, sometimes the shipping was the same price as my order .Also I have waited 8 weeks or more for supplies. In March I bought some glass from the Garage. The person asked wich way I wanted it shipped , Priority or First class. First Class International was so cheap. I had given her $6.00 plus she refunded me $2.00! It only took 10 buisiness days. She also gave me the customs number and I was able to track it with that number.
I had ordered a few things and paid First Class. Same great service again. Sorry I didn't mean to write a book on shipping costs, but I was on the role.
Penny

sansan239s
2011-04-10, 10:57am
Thanks, Penny! This is great information for future use. I ended up send the box USPS Priority for $36.00 and it took about 1.5 weeks to get to her with no additional charge to her at the end. The post office said, if I wanted to get a tracking # for the box, it would have cost $90 (NO KIDDING ~ OMG), so no tracking on the box and it still got there in 1 piece.

Thanks everyone for your great input. I think this would be a good topic to keep open for those "just in-case". hugs Sandy

ABR Dave
2011-04-11, 10:45am
USPS to Canada may be cheap, but it's junk.

We've had Canadian customs hold USPS boxes for over 2 months. UNREAL!

DHL does not charge the extra fees on arrival, also they aren't that much more expensive. The service from US to Canada via DHL is 1 Day guaranteed.

From our door to the customers, 1 day!!!! We use USPS International at customer request only.

junko
2011-04-11, 6:50pm
Hi
I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. I was aways getting items by Priority Post. It was always way to much, sometimes the shipping was the same price as my order .Also I have waited 8 weeks or more for supplies. In March I bought some glass from the Garage. The person asked wich way I wanted it shipped , Priority or First class. First Class International was so cheap. I had given her $6.00 plus she refunded me $2.00! It only took 10 buisiness days. She also gave me the customs number and I was able to track it with that number.
I had ordered a few things and paid First Class. Same great service again. Sorry I didn't mean to write a book on shipping costs, but I was on the role.
Penny

Yes, first class is much less pricey, but you can only ship 4 pounds or less by first class- any more than that has to go Int'l priority.

Interesting about DHL- I will have to look into that!

flameonglass
2011-04-16, 6:01pm
I am in Canada & have been buying supplies from the US for two decades now.

I always request USPS & First Class International if possible. Priority Post is much more expensive than this but less expensive than UPS or Fedex.

The difference in price at this end is huge compared to couriers.

Kevan
2011-04-16, 6:04pm
Try to figure out what it costs to send a package to another country on the FedEx site. It's just not possible. It's like trying to figure out the tax code.

Elizabeth Beads
2011-04-16, 7:42pm
The best thing about first class international is you can send up to 4 lbs. I think, not like the USA where first class is up to 13 oz.

The worst part is having to make a trip to the post office and fill out the customs forms.

maren
2011-04-18, 2:21am
The best thing about first class international is you can send up to 4 lbs. I think, not like the USA where first class is up to 13 oz.

The worst part is having to make a trip to the post office and fill out the customs forms.

Yes, for all I know in the US above 13 oz is either priority or parcel post (FYI: parcel post to Hawaii really does go by boat).

I have been able to USPS click-n-ship to Canada (it prints the customs forms and I have a stockpile of the envelopes - if you have a printer that prints two sided you have to print the pages separately otherwise you get front and back which isn't what the PO wants).