Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Glass on my torch, oops..

Jenne
2011-03-18, 5:55am
Ok, I was torching last night and some glass flew and stuck to the front of my torch (Nortel Minor). I managed to get most of it off but there's still some stuck inside one of the holes...and it makes the flame on one side burn orange. Is there a way to get the glass out of the hole?

I'm not very handy, so if it involves taking anything apart...it might not be such a good idea.

Help!

Polgarra
2011-03-18, 6:46am
I did the same this this week. I let to torch cool then the glass easily chipped of. But I am getting a lot of discoloration on my turquoise. I am not sure if that is the result of my accident or just to hotter torch in general.

FosterFire
2011-03-18, 8:41am
I have done this and here is the fix: light your torch, let it heat up really well. Have a bowl of clean water standing by. Turn off torch, put hot torch head down into water. and then pull it back out. The glass inside should shatter and come out. Let your torch dry out with the nozzle hanging down.

Mine came out first try and has been good as new ever since.

squid
2011-03-18, 9:05am
I have done this and here is the fix: light your torch, let it heat up really well. Have a bowl of clean water standing by. Turn off torch, put hot torch head down into water. and then pull it back out. The glass inside should shatter and come out. Let your torch dry out with the nozzle hanging down.

If this doesn't work the first time, repeat as necessary. Also, leave the oxy running when you dunk - the pressure might help push the glass out.

cheng076
2011-03-18, 10:03am
Any time you 'clean' a torch leave the oxy on to blow out the debris. I hook up air to the fuel and oxy side to blow the crap out.

Jenne
2011-03-18, 2:04pm
Thanks, I'll give this a try!

KJohn
2013-09-26, 12:57pm
Glad you posted this, having the same problem with my alpha last night. Off to take a look now. It's good to know I might fix it myself!

Surrealle
2013-09-30, 9:04pm

This doesn't warp the metal or anything?? I'm just picturing ruining a hot pan when you put it in cold water after you cook.. =/

smpalmer85
2013-10-12, 11:33am
it's very hard for a contained circle to deform - not so with a flat plane. as long as the metal wont get brittle/shatter (which SS won't) it shouldn't be a big deal. Restaurant's clean their oven surfaces with this principle just about every night - steam formation releases a lot of energy not to mention the contraction rate difference that is cracking the glass here.