Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Working outdoors/in spare bedroom

cherylsart
2006-04-10, 12:46pm
Ok, I see that Mike said it's ok to use a torch outside. This would be best for me living in a duplex with a backyard. There's enough breeze here that if I set up with the wind blowing at me from behind I shouldn't have to worry about fume buildup.

There's a small concrete porch out there but I'm thinking maybe I should get some cheap cinder block pavers to make the work area larger? I'd hate a piece of hot glass to land in the grass and start a fire! I was thinking it would be a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy anyway. Or at least a bucket of water.

As far as the spare bedroom with the sliding glass door, for ventilation I'd like to say that there is a great wind tunnel between my front door and the bedroom. There's no hallway and the whole apartment is only about 600 square feet. With the bedroom door and the front door open the fresh air will flow right through the place. Does this sound a little better? As I said I'll be starting out on a HH with 1lb propane bottles.

Cheryl

cherylsart
2006-04-11, 8:00am
So nobody has any more advice on this? Mike? Dan? I'm moving ahead with this plan so please speak up so I don't blow myself or anyone else up!

Cheryl

Dale M.
2006-04-11, 8:06am
Ok, I see that Mike said it's ok to use a torch outside. This would be best for me living in a duplex with a backyard. There's enough breeze here that if I set up with the wind blowing at me from behind I shouldn't have to worry about fume buildup.

There's a small concrete porch out there but I'm thinking maybe I should get some cheap cinder block pavers to make the work area larger? I'd hate a piece of hot glass to land in the grass and start a fire! I was thinking it would be a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy anyway. Or at least a bucket of water.

As far as the spare bedroom with the sliding glass door, for ventilation I'd like to say that there is a great wind tunnel between my front door and the bedroom. There's no hallway and the whole apartment is only about 600 square feet. With the bedroom door and the front door open the fresh air will flow right through the place. Does this sound a little better? As I said I'll be starting out on a HH with 1lb propane bottles.

Cheryl

As for outside not a problem .. Do you have garden hose??? Excellent for fire in grass...

As for spare room, the answer is maybe... IF you have volumes of air flowing and your torch is in front of door so fumes are taken directly outside, its a maybe situation at best... But if you forget to open front door or you do not have a breeze any particular day you are NOT even up to the "maybe" condition... Power ventilation is only sure way to guarantee you are safe in a indoor work area.

Dale

cherylsart
2006-04-11, 8:19am
Thanks Dale! I think it's going to be outside for me. It just seems to be the easiest and safest way. If I did work inside I'd make sure the table was right in front of that sliding door with the front door opened and the fan running! But the porch is right there so why take the risk?

cheryl

bclogan
2006-04-12, 12:25pm
I've worked outdoors. On a slightly breezy day it works well. On a brisk windy day it's really hard to keep a flame still enough to work in. On a still day I have to have a fan blowing from behind me to move the fumes - and I CAN tell that the fumes are "building up" if the fan is not on.