Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Seahorse tutorial

Ladyhoss67
2006-04-11, 12:04pm
I won the lampwork source challenge. You are supposed to post a tutorial on what you entered. I know it took a while but I finally got it done.
So here we go. If there are any mistakes or problems let me know and I will try to fix it the best I can. This is the first time I've done this so I'm hoping to get it right the first time.;)

Materials and tools needed
1 rod of morretti black
raku frit
2 2 mm purple transparent stringer
1 2 mm light grass green transparent stringer
1 1 mm black stringer
1 1 mm white stringer
1 1/16 mandrel dipped in release and dried
long tweezers
razor tool
small flat paddle shaper (I use a small dental tool)
brass tool (I use Corina's magic wand)

Steps
1. Put out your frit so it's ready for you when you come to that step.
2. Using the black rod wind on a round bead about the size of a nickel. This will be the seahorse's belly.
3. Get it centered, let it cool just slightly, but before it's totally stiff let it droop just a little down and towards the bottom end of the mandrel. It will look like a lopsided chocolate kiss. Now he has a belly side and a back side.
4. At the pointed end of his body wind on a small thin barrel. This will be his neck.
5. Add a little extra glass at the top of the neck, melt in and slightly tip your mandrel top down and let the neck droop down just a little on the same side as the belly.
6. Keeping him warm, get a a dime size gather on the tip of the black rod.
7. Warm the tip of the neck and place the hot gather on the neck. This will be his head. Keep the ball(head) pointed up until it cools.
8. Add a small dot on each side of head for his jaws bones.
9. Keep him warm while getting another gather hot on the end of the black rod. This will be his nose. Warm the tip of his head and place the gather on.
10. Immediately turn him downwards and pull the nose down and out. Burn off at about 1/2".
11. This is what he will look like.
12 . Heat up the dots that will be his jaws and slightly flatten with your small paddle shaper.
13. Keep him warm while gathering another ball on your black rod. This will be his tail. Warm his "butt" and place the gather on.
14. Hang the tail down so it will droop a little.
15. Get a second gather hot on the black rod and add it to his tail. Melt in and let it droop down. Make sure to keep his body warm in between steps.
16. Now get his whole tail hot but not soupy. Touch the tip of his tail with the black rod and pull his tail down until you get it to about the right thickness that you want. It doesn't matter if it's too long. The top of his tail should be about the thickness of a pencil.
17. Burn the tail off at about 2 1/2' long or how ever long you want it to be. Give him a good heat bath. Make sure to keep his nose warm. It's thin and will pop off easily.
18. Heat up one side of your seahorse and lay him in the pile of frit.
19. Bring him back into the flame and heat up the frit so it will not pop off.
20. Keep heating up parts of his body and touching it in the frit until he has frit everywhere you want it to be. Remember to keep the tail and nose warm while doing this.
21. Now slowly start melting in the frit. Be careful not to lose his shape by getting him too hot. Use your paddle shaper to keep his nose and tail straight.
22. After melting in the frit, if the raku has dark brown spots, I heat up that spot and touch or lightly rub it with my brass tool. This will help turn it the nice colors raku is known for. I do it this way because you can't super heat the raku to get the pretty colors or you will lose your shape.
23. Now you will need to pull his tail to a nice pointed end. Heat up the end of his tail at the length you want and pinch off the extra glass. Pull as you pinch to give him a nice small tip on the end of his tail.
24. Take a minute to heat him all over real good. Pick which side of him you like the best. This will be his front side.
25. Now with the side you want to be the front towards you, very carefully heat just the tip of his tail and curl it with your tweezers towards his belly, just a little. Let it cool until stiff.
26. Heat just ABOVE the curl being carefully NOT to heat the curl. Slowly curl the tail a little more. Make sure you curl the tail in front of the mandrel without touching it on the side you want to be the front.
27. Keep curling the tail until it almost touches the belly. Let the tail cool down and stiffen, then give him a good heat bath. Make sure not to heat the tail too much so it doesn't touch the mandrel.
28. Now with your purple transparent stringer start applying a small thin line from the top middle of his head, across the mandrel, down the middle of his back where the "backbone" should be, following his back all the way down and around the spirals of his tail.
29. Go back up to the top of his head and run another strip of the purple stringer, this time going on the other side of the mandrel, meeting up with the first line of purple on the back of his neck.
30. Heat him all over real good. Take your tweezers and start heating the purple stringer (his mane) on his head and pinch with the tweezers. Do this all the way down his back and around his tail. Be careful not to pinch his body. You only want to pinch the purple stringer. Be careful not to heat the tail so much the it starts touching the mandrel.
31. Keep him warm while you heat a gather on your purple stringer about the size of a big pea. This will be his dorsal fin. Apply this gather to the middle of his back right on top on the purple line of "mane".
32. While still hot pinch right in the middle then once on each side.
33. Now with your white stringer apply a very small dot on each side of his head for his eyes. Melt in just a little bit leaving them slightly raised Be careful not to melt his nose. Make sure to keep the rest of his body warm.
34. Now apply a small dot of light grass green on top of each white dot. Melt in just enough to give his eye a nice smooth round look. Give him a good heat bath.
35. Take your very thin black stringer and heat just the tip. Place a very small black dot on the middle of each eye. Melt the black dot in totaly,being careful not to melt the eye it's self too much.
36. Heat up the end of the purple transparent stringer, heat the nose. Touch the tip of his nose with the stringer and pull his nose out just a little to make it nice and smooth and straight.
37. Burn his nose off at the length you want it to be, about 1/2".
38. Give his whole body a good heat bath. Heat just the tip of his nose and point it towards you. With your razor tool touch the end of his nose and push just ever so lightly to give him a little mouth.
39. With you purple transparent stringer heat a small gather and apply it to his head at the back of his jaw on his neck. Do this on both sides of his head. These are his little ear fins.
40. Take your tweezers, heat the purple dot and pinch to make his little ear fin. Do this on both sides.
41. Heat him all over and check to make sure you didn't melt his "mane" in too much anywhere. If needed reheat and repinch his mane with your tweezers.
42. Heat him all over and put him in your hot kiln and anneal properly
43. There you go. Here are a few pics of some that I have made. GOOD LUCK!!

donna322
2006-04-11, 12:10pm
HOLY GUACOMOLE!!!!!:shock: What a fantastic tutorial...Thanks so much...you make it look so friggin easy!!! I'll go see how frustrated I can get trying this!!!:rolleyes:

chrisdd
2006-04-11, 12:30pm
CUUUUUUUUTE! And what a great tutorial. I'm giving this 5 stars.

IF-Designs
2006-04-11, 12:47pm
those are just adorable!

Ladyhoss67
2006-04-11, 12:51pm
Thanks guys.:biggrin: I have to say.... doing tutorials is a BIG PAIN IN THE BUT!!!:P my butt is a little bigger from sitting here so long.
I want to see what you come up with now, OK? post them here.

Kim

PaulaD
2006-04-11, 12:55pm
Wow. That is great! Paula

Blueflameart
2006-04-11, 3:01pm
Awesome! Great job on that Kim!!! I'm working as fast as I can on the new site and think I'm going to release the first part of it soon. Great job!

juniemoon
2006-04-11, 3:54pm
holy seahorse. how cool are they? what a nice thing for you to do, yeah i bet it is a pain in the butt......youre very generous, thanks again for treating us!
junie

taj
2006-04-11, 8:54pm
Kim your the BEST. You really worked hard to get this all together.
You do deserve a 5 star...........& I do appreciate the work.
Thanks
taj

meadowesky
2006-04-11, 10:03pm
thanks! definetly a 5 star! great tutorial! Cant wait to try it

seafire
2006-04-11, 11:01pm
Wow...great detail on the tutorial...thanx so much.....

sassy
2006-04-12, 11:45am
Great tutorial, Kim. Thanks

DBN Designs
2006-04-13, 6:13am
Awesome!!!

thanks!

Daniel

WillfulOne
2006-04-13, 7:12am
Excellent!! Thank you for sharing.

Ladyhoss67
2006-04-13, 11:17am
Thank you everybody for your nice comments. It means a lot to me.
I WANNA SEE SOME SEAHORSES! I wanna see if I explained it good enough.

Kim
:tigger:

taj
2006-04-13, 7:13pm
23734:) Thank you Kim!!!
O.K. Here is my first try. Didn't get the tail long
but for the first one it will have to do.
What u think?
taj

hummingbird3172
2006-04-13, 8:26pm
KIM, you are AWESOME! 5 STARS FOR YOU! (said in the soup Nazi voice)

My mom wants a shell necklace for mother's day...I may try and see if I can make a seahorse for the focal. Thank you!

TAJ, wow that is a great first try!

Laurie L
2006-04-13, 10:41pm
Just beautiful...I love the seahorse....what a great tutorial !!!

Ladyhoss67
2006-04-14, 5:26am
=D> =D> =D> WTG Teresa!!! You did great. I LOVE IT.
You said you need to pull the tail longer.... I usually pull the tail about 2 1/2". That way you have plenty and you can burn off what you don't want.
What I think is funny ...is when I made my first few I also put side fins on. Someone told me "seahorses don't have side fins" I told them " In MY world they do"...LOL.

If you want a good laugh, I will show you the pics from MY first attempts,lol. I got the idea from a toy squirt gun my son had.You will see how much they have changed.My first few kinda look like birds...LMBO!

C'MON everybody.... I want to see more!

hummingbird3172
2006-04-14, 6:36am
Actually, I think your first tries are pretty good too! One of them makes me think of giraffe print. I am going to try this this morning...

Ari'elle
2006-04-14, 11:53am
Great tutorial Kim! I appreciate you taking all the pics, that's the best way I learn. Thank you very much!

Ari'elle

Ladyhoss67
2006-04-19, 6:06am
where's everybody's seahorses? I wanna see!!!:smile:

amberbryant1
2006-04-19, 6:14am
I will ask my mom if they have side fins, she raises them. She has been on my case for months to make her one. The problem is.... I am sure I won't be able to make one that looks like a seahorse! It will be ugly. I know I won't be able to keep it all hot long enough to stop it from popping apart. I sure thought that they had side fins too! Good Greif! I see them at least once a week, you'd think I'd notice something like that.

Ladyhoss67
2006-04-19, 7:05am
LOL...Isn't it funny how you don't pay attention to things you see everyday.
I actually did a search and found LOT'S of pics of real seahorses. They don't have side fins,lol, just the ear fins. But what I didn't know is how many really pretty colors them come in.There was one that was neon yellow. It was sooo pretty.

Kim

amberbryant1
2006-04-21, 7:37am

Here are my mom's "babies". The one wrapped around the coral is the male, see his pouch where he gets pregnant! The othe is the female. They will change color depending on mood. It's alot like a chameleon. I like it when they are yellow, mom likes white and dad likes black. She was SOOOO happy to share these pictures, and give me a lesson in seahorse antomy!

amberbryant1
2006-04-21, 7:38am
Wow Sorry Those Are So Big!!!!!

Ladyhoss67
2006-04-21, 7:54am
OMGOSH Those are the cutest thing EVER. I LOVE THEM. I also love the yellow. I'm gonna go make a yellow one right now. Thank you for posting those. Tell your mom thank you so much for the pics.

KIM

amberbryant1
2006-04-22, 7:55am
I called Mom and told her that I had posted them, she said she would happily accecpt any seahorse bead for "examination". She said she would keep all of the "duds".

wendbill
2006-05-04, 1:29am
Oops. Lost control of the tail.

Ladyhoss67
2006-05-04, 5:57am
Wendy, you did good. That's so cute. =D>
Don't worry I have had many tails and noses crack and pop off.:roll: I just add more glass and keep going.

Here is a pic of a few I just did, one is getting donated to an auction in our glass club and the other is just because I wanted to make a yellow one like Amber's mom's real one.:biggrin:
I just started trying to make these little stands so you can display the seahorses without having to wear them. These stands have real beach sand on the base and free formed starfish and shells on it,wth a few little sea urchins. I made another stand a while back with just seaweed and places for a few fish, but I think I like this new stand better, but I would like to try and put a backdrop of seaweed like my other stand on the backside of this new stand. But it's very hard to get all this together by yourself without something cracking. If I ever get it together in one piece I'll post a pic.

Ya'll keep practicing your seahorses and don't forget to post'em here so I can see. I love looking at them.

Kim

wendbill
2006-05-05, 3:04pm
3rd seahorse I made (second one thought it was a bird)

creartelier
2006-05-06, 4:43am
hi kim,

thank you for this great tut!! =D>

i had to try it, and thats the result.....

have a sunny week end
love
jacqueline

Ladyhoss67
2006-05-06, 6:44am
=D> OH you did good Jacqueline, I love the body of the first one.

Kim

creartelier
2006-05-06, 7:43am
thanks so mutch kim, for you compliment.

it was very funny to work and i think i have to do somme more:-D

hugs
jacqueline

OceanObsession
2006-05-07, 7:00pm
Oh, wow! I absolutley have to try this. I haven't had much time for lampworking lately but I get done with finals this week and will then have time and this is going to be one of the first beads I try! I'll post picks if it turns out.
That is an awesome tutorial, great pics!

Ladyhoss67
2006-05-08, 5:56am
Thank you...can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

Gelly
2006-05-26, 8:40am
Kim, sorry I forgot to post my seahorsies over here too!!

My first seahorse

And, my second (it's on ebay now!)

Thanks so much for posting this tut Kim!! It is really fun to make these lil buggers!!

Ladyhoss67
2006-05-26, 1:41pm
You did GREAT Gelly. Those are so cute.And your right, they are a lot of fun.
I hope you have better luck than I did selling them. I didn't get one bid on the mine. I can never get anything sold on ebay. I think everybody just doesn't like me,lol. JK

Kim

Kristina
2006-05-28, 2:55am
my first Seahorse. Both are broken :confused:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/Ellessonbeads/100_4132_1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a342/Ellessonbeads/100_4135_1.jpg

Ladyhoss67
2006-05-28, 6:51am
Kristina, nice. You did really good. I like the color combo of the yellow and green one.
I've had quite a few crack along the mane by the mandrel. You just have to make sure to give him a real good heat bath on all the fagile spots (nose, mane, tail, neck, pretty much the whole body,lol) right before you put in the kiln.

Kim

Kristina
2006-05-28, 11:45am
It is nice to hear that you had the same problems. If the first will be still allive I tell you!!!

mixednut
2007-02-17, 10:32pm
Wow thanks for the tut!!!! These are great!

Ladyhoss67
2007-02-18, 1:29pm
Actually, they do have pectoral fins (side fins) - they are located at the back of the cheek (more or less). The fins are very small and transparent and not easy to see. They also have a ventral fin that is located at the bottom of the belly - again, transparent, small and difficult to see. They have all of the fins that "regular" fish do, just smaller. They really don't have a fin that runs the length of the body, but I put one on mine, too.

Yes I know,lol. At the time I wrote this I had just made my very first seahorse. I put fins on the side where fish would have their fins. Ever since then I put little tiny fins at the back of the check or jaw. I also have thought long about not puting a long fin down the back but it just doesn't look right to me with out it. Like I said I make my seahorses how they look in "MY" little world,lol. They are better that way. :) ;-) IMO

Rose Leslie
2007-02-18, 2:01pm
Here are two of mine. I'm having trouble with the tails also. Go figure. It will just take a little time.

glassnut
2007-02-25, 9:19am
Thanks for the great tut Kim!!!! You did a great job on it!
Here's my first four tries in order from right to left. I just love making these!
Thanks Again! Have a happy day!!

Ladyhoss67
2007-02-25, 11:11am
=D> =D> =D> WONDERFUL job everybody!!! I LOVE the looks on their faces.
SO CUTE.

It's so fun to see everybody elses. MORE MORE

SadiesJewels
2007-04-09, 9:16pm
Beautiful seahorses you all ...

I just made a sea serpent and read this first - it really helped with the head!

Ladyhoss67
2007-04-10, 4:14am
I'm glad it helped. Can we see your creation......pretty please?

glassattack
2007-04-10, 3:02pm
these are awesome. i have been doing lampwork for about four months. may have to give these a try and hope i can keep them from cracking. i am using a fireworks torch head and mapp gas. i will give any thing a try once. again thanks for the tut, these are great

mike

Jasmin2002
2007-04-16, 12:05am
Hello!

Thank you very, very much, for this great tutorial!
Yesterday evening i tried it first and here is the result:

It is made of alabaster türkis...

Greetings from austria

Jasmin

Ladyhoss67
2007-04-18, 6:27am
Sadiesbeads we would love to see your sea serpent.

Thank you Mike. I have never heard of a fireworks torch. I can't wait to see what you do with your torch. Make sure you come back and let us see.

Jasmin, he is ADORABLE! Great job! I love that color blue.

helensharvest
2007-05-21, 6:52pm
Here's mine, Kim. Hope you like him. Love, Helen

Ladyhoss67
2007-05-21, 7:30pm
OH Helen.....That is WONDERFUL. I LOVE him!!! :)

helensharvest
2007-05-22, 7:53pm
Thanks, Kim. I gave you credit for this tute in my auction. And you gave me courage to try him, so thanks again! Love, Helen

Ladyhoss67
2007-05-22, 8:04pm
AAHHH Thank you so much, that's very sweet. I'm so glad you tried it!
And I hope it goes for a lot for you.

ruffje
2009-01-02, 10:03pm
I'm in complete awe! I'm still at the very beginning stage of learning how to play with fire and since my 'studio' is in the garage, I have to wait until it warms up as I work in soft glass. My favoriate of all the glass sculptures that I've seen are underwater items. I can't wait until I start to see my work improve.

Your tut is terrific. I'm saving it so when I get more experienced, I will try it. (I hope me copying it to my computer is ok. I'm just saving till I have better control of the glass.)

J

volkanokaren
2009-01-03, 12:43pm
WOW,The seahorses are just too sweet,the tutorial is a most generous treat

Karen
Volkano Exotik

Jill Hoblick
2009-01-03, 4:25pm
I have to say that Kim Hart is one of the most talented and generous women I have ever met. She is as genuine as the day is long...... She is top notch in my book! I am thrilled to say she is a friend of mine and I have had the pleasure of seeing her work in person. She is incredibly talented! :) Jill

Ladyhoss67
2009-01-03, 5:25pm
Jilll, THANK YOU sooo much. You make me blush. I hope I can live up to your kind words....REALLY!!! And I am Proud to say you are one of my good friends! too!!!!
Thank you very much about the seahorses.... They are a lot of fun to make ....and wear!!
You are most welcome to save the tut, make as many as you like, sell , give them away, what ever you would like to do with them. I just ask that ya'll post the pics here so we all can enjoy them!! :)

Have Fun!!!

Hayley
2009-01-03, 5:49pm
Hi Kim,

Good to see you post! How have you been? My sister and I both LOVE the seahorses we got from you! I will have to try making one . . . some day! lol!

Happy New Year!!!

Hot Glass Oasis
2009-01-07, 12:31am
Thanks so much for the lovely tut. I learned all I know about lampworking from books and tutorials like yours, and i appreciate so much the generosity veteran lampworkers like you show by sharing your nuggets of knowledge. I'll have some pics of my work to share hopefully soon!
Shannon :smile:

MadelineBunyan
2009-01-10, 3:02pm
I just wanna say ooh pretty! and thanks for sharing!

it cant just be me that has a list of things as long as my arm that I wanna try 'next time' I torch?

earlbacher
2009-01-11, 10:03am
a truely great tut!!!!

tt4st
2009-01-11, 1:42pm
Thank you for posting this great tutorial. It was very easy to understand..... now let's see how easy it is for me to actually follow along and make something that looks kinda maybe like a living creature!!!!

Jaterwunky
2009-01-11, 6:27pm
OMG everyone's seahorses look soo cute... Makes me almost want to try... Although I don't know if my patience is up for it.... Worst case scenario I will just bleep a lot.... Happy new year everyone.

Virginia
2009-01-13, 1:10pm
really cute seahorses - hopefully I will remember to give them a try -

allicat
2014-01-18, 5:45pm
I'm kicking this back up the charts; this is an awesome tut!

Alli

Listenup
2017-08-31, 11:58am
Bumping this back up. Looks like a fun one to try.

lhowell
2017-12-31, 2:40pm
Its tempting for me to pull out all that soft glass I have sitting around. Boro is way easier for me to control!

Sdumortier
2018-01-20, 4:23pm
Very nice. Thanks.