Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Mai Tai

Rose
2011-05-04, 12:45pm
Has anyone gotten more than orange with this encased? I've run thru several kiln sessions, ramped up to 1075 and all that. No pink :(

Three Muses Glass
2011-05-04, 2:27pm
Try even hotter and/or longer? The ones I did went to 1150 for about 45 minutes but were unencased. For encased I'd try a crazy long soak at 1150, maybe 2 hours. I did a couple encased Mai Tai beads as testers and they were pretty light orange after 45 minutes and I haven't tried it again yet.

todda
2011-05-04, 5:08pm
my favs are mai tai 419 & 420

Otter's Flame
2011-05-04, 11:25pm
Rose, I kiln strike it at 1150, I have found that I get some amazing color at a two hour soak at 1150. one hour was just not getting the color I needed.... however one hour is generally good enough for Mega Mai Tai unless you want it so purple it is almost black!! lol that stuff is amazing. I will try and post a pic here for you later.

Troll Lover
2011-05-04, 11:35pm
I've put my Mai Tai heart through some more annealing cycles, since it was still pretty red. Now, after about 4 hours in total at 1150 - 1180, it has such much more colors, but not yet the screaming pink. I'll make a new pic of that bead soon. It is very pretty, but the encased parts are still quite red. They didn't get much more color through annealing but red.

This was after 1 hour at 1150:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5030/5677256707_0c994f3d5e.jpg

Rose
2011-05-05, 6:05am
Thanks guys and gals! I have the Mega Mai Tai, too and that stuff strikes easily, and dark like Otter said. I'll have to try the hotter striking. I hate to ramp my kiln up that high for little spacer test beads so I guess I'll have to make something more worthwhile, lol. Anouk, that color you got looks like it's in the same color range I get but mine's lighter. I want pink, dammit! :razz:

Rose
2011-05-05, 8:33am
It's on sale right now. Scroll down this link:
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=27a208618b9b0fbdfa2cbd54a7c872ec&keyword=mai+tai

LyndaJ
2011-05-05, 9:04am
Since this behaves like AP, you might want to vary how you're handling it in the flame.

The AP family really likes a long hot working in the flame, then a quick cool to no glow, then kiln striking.

I've ordered some but it won't be here until next week to try, but you might want to try a couple with a thorough heating to white hot in the flame.

ginkgoglass
2011-05-05, 1:49pm
Since this behaves like AP, you might want to vary how you're handling it in the flame.

The AP family really likes a long hot working in the flame, then a quick cool to no glow, then kiln striking.

I've ordered some but it won't be here until next week to try, but you might want to try a couple with a thorough heating to white hot in the flame.

What she said ^^^^^^^

You may already be doing this, but once you have it white hot, keep it there in that white hot state for a while.
It helps to develop the color. Something about crystal formation?

Three Muses Glass
2011-05-05, 7:37pm
What color are you guys Mai Tai rods? What I got last year is shimmery clear and what I just got today is shimmery pink. Just wondering what color your rods are?

Rose
2011-05-05, 9:04pm
Thanks gals. I DO keep it in the flame for quite awhile. I wonder if rods react differently. I haven't had a chance to try it again, but I will in the next day or so.

If I remember right, my rods are a seedy clear. Or on the clear side but somewhat cloudy.......

MagpieGlass
2011-05-05, 9:09pm
FWIW ... I've found that it plays differently between working it on my oxycon and working it from tanked.

Tanked gets me better color, faster.

Troll Lover
2011-05-05, 10:29pm
I'm on 2 oxycons and a bobcat. I'll try again today and keep it white hot for a while, will let you know what happens :).

Bunyip
2011-05-06, 7:46am
Anouk, I had good luck with A/P colors on 2 5 LPM oxycons & my Lynx, so you're probably ok on the Bobcat too. From your pictures you have enough oxygen as well (no visible haze). You don't have to get the gather soupy as long as the color encasement gets hot hot hot and stays there for a while. Of course, if you're encasing white it will soak through and get floppy rather fast.

Now let's see some pictures. =) I'm living vicariously through you people darn it!

suzanne
2011-05-06, 7:58am
I think ( wild guess) that you need that bit of haze to make it pink instead of dark orange. The haze itself is blue-ish, and that color over orange makes pink ( take soft glass Clio for example, that reduces blue-ish, but turns fuchsia over a red or orange background)

But maybe I am talking poop here.

Firebrand Beads
2011-05-06, 9:48am
YES! What Suzanne said. Paul suggested you work a little reduction in, or lightly reduce before you encase/implode it.

Troll Lover
2011-05-06, 10:20am
I've got a new heart in the kiln now, for it's first strike cycle. It's on top op white, but didn't give any reduction to it. I also made a heart out of a TAG orange, clear and AP (Northstar) on top. It's also in the kiln, but was already a pretty orange/pink in the flame :).

Chris, thanks for the info! I will surely let you know and post some pics :).

Otter's Flame
2011-05-06, 9:54pm
If you work a little extra reduction here and there, you will get some beautiful blues mixed in with pinks. This goes for Mega Mai Tai as well, leave some haze and you will get beautiful blue, contrasted with deeeeeeep purple.

Also.... You really do need to heat this in the flame as well but not quite as hot as regular AP.

Troll Lover
2011-05-07, 12:32am
The AP heart is quite pretty in my opinion, lol :D. I put the Mai Tai heart in the kiln for it's 3rd striking cycle, it was quite pretty but still a bit orange at some places, I'm trying out how far I can go with this color :).

Gonna try some more today, man the dark side is addicting :hide:!

ginkgoglass
2011-05-07, 4:52am
I can't wait to see! Do you have any pics?

Troll Lover
2011-05-07, 5:43am
Yay, it's PINK! I really love this color, TAG thank you :D.

Today or tomorrow I'll take care of the pics!

G.L.McBead
2011-05-07, 11:05am
so is it a lot easyer to get the pinks when it's not incased?
Thanks,
G.

Troll Lover
2011-05-07, 12:35pm
I get the pinks unencased, yes.

orion
2011-05-07, 1:22pm
Yay! I can't wait to see the pinks you got!

TAG did seriously good with these Mai Tai colors. I was so thrilled with my beads in Mai Tai pink and double Mai Tai from the boro box of goodness that I ordered more and already am hoarding it.

LarryC
2011-05-07, 1:42pm
What are the details of your kiln strike? How long and what temp?

Three Muses Glass
2011-05-07, 2:05pm
There is some info in here Larry.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194146

LarryC
2011-05-07, 2:50pm
Thanks. Missed it first time around. I have a couple of rods of the regular and a couple of the experimentals as well. I will try to kiln strike the regular in this way. Beautiful work by the way.

Otter's Flame
2011-05-10, 2:17am
I posted part of this in the boro S&T but wanted to post this one here as well:

Here is a detail pic of the top and wings of a sculptural piece. The wings are Mai Tai Pink and the body is double amber purple. After I kiln struck the wings, I hit them with the torch and took some of the striking out of the tips of the wings because I wanted some visual "texture". The wings were completely pink after an annealing cycle of two hours at 1150 degrees.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Otters_Flame/LE%20Posts/totem1.jpg

Just FYI the Mai Tai Pink is much easier to strike than most other amber purple colors I have used. Also, it is easier to burn the haze off and it seems to stay off. You do still have to set the Mai Tai Pink up with quite a bit of heat but not as much as other AP's.

MagpieGlass
2011-05-10, 5:48am
Otter those wings are awesome. I love how it went back to yellow!!! More things to try.

As a newbie I stupidly never had problems getting color out of my AP ... guess I have the habit of cooking the crap out of my glass. But I love how user friendly Mai Tai Pink is. Never thought to put it back in the flame after kiln striking.

Thanks for the great tip and awesoem pic.

BellaBean
2011-05-10, 6:02am
Gorgeous piece Otter!!!

I can't wait to try MaiTai. I love the amber purples.

Otter's Flame
2011-05-10, 12:14pm
Thanks... I love Mai Tai....... thanks TAG!

Three Muses Glass
2011-05-10, 2:10pm
So pretty Otter! Great effect bringing it back to amber!

Otter's Flame
2011-05-10, 3:38pm
Thanks, I was kind of laughing at myself. All this time I have always wanted the pinks and purples out of the AP family and here I go reversing such a beautiful color.

Firebrand Beads
2011-05-11, 4:10pm
LOL! that's because you're *special* Otter!
For what it's worth, Ladies and Gentlemen... your feedback has been noted, thankyouverymuch, and Mai Tai Pink is about to become TAG-033-38, Double Mai Tai will be TAG-033-39, and Mega Mai Tai is probably going to become regular line as well, and be TAG-033-40. Whoop!

orion
2011-05-11, 6:00pm
yay!!!

Otter's Flame
2011-05-11, 11:46pm
Thank you very much Jenny, glad you don't mind what I did to that beautiful color. Thank you for working hard to get these colors in your regular line.

breeze22
2011-05-12, 1:38am
Whooohoooo! Jenny that is great new's about the Mai Tai family.

Such a great colour, love it!!!!!!!!!!!

Monique
https://bodaciousglassbeads.wordpress.com

Rose
2011-05-12, 4:03am
Wait a sec here! There are 3 Mai Tai? I only have 2. Mmmmm

Beautifil work Otter. I really like the contrast where you unstruck that part of your piece.

MagpieGlass
2011-05-12, 6:05am
Wait a sec here! There are 3 Mai Tai? I only have 2. Mmmmm

Beautifil work Otter. I really like the contrast where you unstruck that part of your peice.

There are actually (at least) 4 that were experimental: Mai Tai Pink, Double Mai Tai, Mega Mai Tai and Mai Tai Green.

Mai Tai Green (I don't think) made it to regular production. It is olive green in color and can change to shades of peach and apricot with work and encasing. I just created a floral implosion with it. I'll have to see if I can get a pix and post it.

Bunyip
2011-05-12, 6:11am
I'm still waiting for Anouk's Pictures...

;)

Rose
2011-05-12, 6:52am
I just made some encased beads with the regular Mai Tai and have them in the kiln at 1150 for 2 hrs. Can't wait to see what they look like. I'll post if they look good. Otherwise I'll just tell you about it, lol.

Laura, I'd love to see your implosion with the Green Mai Tai.

Hey Anouk, yoo hoo! We want pics!

todda
2011-05-12, 5:27pm
you guy must have missed out on the mai tai 419 & 420

Rose
2011-05-12, 6:52pm
Regular Mai Tai from Frantz.......Ok, after 1 1/2 hrs. at 1150 the encased beads came out like regular AP but with a tad of bluish haze. The unencased bead came out a pale coral (over white). A pendant I made that was also unencased came out a dirty pale coral (over white). Another unencased small bead over white was a dirty med. pink coral.

From what I read it depends on the batch?

Otter's Flame
2011-05-13, 12:27am
Rose, I am striking at 1150 for two hours. Try putting them back and cycling them again and see how they come out. Also, make sure you are setting them up with a good amount of heat and crash cooling them below glow before they go in the kiln.

Firebrand Beads
2011-05-13, 11:12am
So... in the interests of either clearing things up or adding to the confusion (?) here's the thing about the name Mai Tai.

About a year ago, we were playing with some amber-purple variations, as well as some a/p + striking Red Elvis combos. The ones with the Red Elvis in them were all called "Crimson Elvis EXP #____". All of the a/p exps were designated as "Mai Tai #____" and the batch number was there. That is what Todd means when he talks about Mai Tai 419 and Mai Tai 420. The name was a working title for all the a/p exps, until we settled on the variation we liked the best. That is Mai Tai 0706, which became Mai Tai Pink, and led us to the variations on that theme, aka Double Mai Tai and Mega Mai Tai.

The exp#0426 was very unusual, and it still carries the name Mai Tai Green; it was part of that initial run of a/p exps.

The Mai Tai #0419 was very nice, and very strong and very dark. It is now called Sasha's Oil Slick, because Sasha bought most of the batch -- at least he got what Todd did not get, lol! And I am now hearing that the Sasha's is giving people grief if they don't work it hot and keep the haze off it? So Todd, please tell the good people here what you have learned about working the 419, it will help them with the sample they have from the Mystery Box that was marked as Sasha's Oil Slick.

deb tarry
2011-05-13, 11:46am
Hmmm clear as mud, just kidding.

MagpieGlass
2011-05-13, 5:32pm
As promised. The pendant on the left uses Mai Tai Green for the petal pattern. The pattern came out yucky but the color is wonderful and natural.

The pendant on the right has some Mai Tai Green mixed and and I can't remember what all else. I really need to keep better notes at the torch.

Rose
2011-05-13, 6:21pm
Otter, I think I'll send you some for you to try. PM me your addy if you are interested. I did get some AP color on some beads but it's so easy to just use AP. The unencased ones went in the kiln cold, were worked Hot like AP and look very pale. I'd just be curious to see what you get. I'm wondering if it's just a different batch.

Laura, very pretty greens. I like the one on the left best for the green. Thanks for sharing.

LarryC
2011-05-13, 7:21pm
Otter, I think I'll send you some for you to try. PM me your addy if you are interested. I did get some AP color on some beads but it's so easy to just use AP. The unencased ones went in the kiln cold, were worked Hot like AP and look very pale. I'd just be curious to see what you get. I'm wondering if it's just a different batch.

Laura, very pretty greens. I like the one on the left best for the green. Thanks for sharing.

I got the pale colors myself until i upped the heat a bit. Still learning how far to push the colors.

MagpieGlass
2011-05-13, 8:32pm

Heee, hee. The green is Neptune Sparkle.

The Mai Tai Green goes peachy/apricot when encased. The flower petals are actually the Mai Tai Green. (unencased it is unripe olive green).

Rose
2011-05-14, 4:57am
Laura, No Kidding! That's a very pretty peach, too.

Angie09
2011-05-14, 7:29pm
Rose, I kiln strike it at 1150, I have found that I get some amazing color at a two hour soak at 1150. one hour was just not getting the color I needed.... however one hour is generally good enough for Mega Mai Tai unless you want it so purple it is almost black!! lol that stuff is amazing. I will try and post a pic here for you later.

Hey Otter or anyone else who would like to answer my question:

What color is the Mai Tai when you actually put it in the kiln???

Thanks in advance.

Otter's Flame
2011-05-15, 12:48am
clear, completely transparent .... MAYBE a tinge of the slightest hint of yellow.... but basically it has no color when it goes in.

Angie09
2011-05-15, 4:26am
clear, completely transparent .... MAYBE a tinge of the slightest hint of yellow.... but basically it has no color when it goes in.

Hummm...is this how Lokis Lipstick works too?? I've never gotten anything from it.

ginkgoglass
2011-05-15, 6:00am
You can get any thing from Amber to purple depending on the time you develop it in the flame and what you put it over.
You can flame strike it or not. Here's a couple of pics of Loki's.
First one is Loki's over clear, the second is solid Loki's with Elvis dots.

Angie09
2011-05-15, 6:03am
You can get any thing from Amber to purple depending on the time you develop it in the flame and what you put it over.
You can flame strike it or not. Here's a couple of pics of Loki's.
First one is Loki's over clear, the second is solid Loki's with Elvis dots.

Hi Lana,

You got these colors in the flame??? The blue is to die for!!!

ginkgoglass
2011-05-15, 6:06am
Yes, the blue one spent a lot of time in that white hot stage and then I cooled it and flame struck it. Loki's will develop more in the kiln just like any amber purple though. The thinner layer you have the less color you will get in my experience.

Mai Tai is gorgeous, I need to get some.

Angie09
2011-05-15, 6:08am
Thanks Lana ... those are just stunning!!

ginkgoglass
2011-05-15, 6:10am
I posted part of this in the boro S&T but wanted to post this one here as well:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Otters_Flame/LE%20Posts/totem1.jpg

I love what you did with the spot reheating!

Otter's Flame
2011-05-15, 4:35pm
Thank you :D

Baywinger
2011-05-21, 6:46am
Hi everyone after seeing the lovely things here,I had to order some mai tai pink this little guy just came out of the kiln this morning

Juln
2011-05-21, 9:46am
It's cute! Nice colors in that purple.

Otter's Flame
2011-05-21, 7:00pm
Very nice BayWinger

Baywinger
2011-05-21, 7:37pm
Thanks Otter
I see why you love the mai tai it is very cool!

Otter's Flame
2011-05-21, 7:42pm
It is an amazing glass, I have been very impressed with TAG over the years, I think they have outdone themselves this time. I am very happy it is going to be part of their regular line.

Baywinger
2011-05-21, 10:20pm
That is good news, TAG is definitely my favorite glass.
Morgan

LyndaJ
2011-05-23, 7:02pm
Here's a Pandora style in Mai Tai.

Otter's Flame
2011-05-23, 10:15pm
That's beautiful Lynda.

Baywinger
2011-05-23, 11:11pm
very nice Linda

MagpieGlass
2011-05-24, 3:08am
Oooooo, pretty. Me likey!!!

Here's a Pandora style in Mai Tai.

LyndaJ
2011-05-24, 3:55am
Thank-you. Mai Tai is a fun glass to work with.

Baywinger
2011-05-24, 7:06am
I decided to start my blown ornament experiments again last night.
here is a Mai tai pink and light blue amber purple one.
Morgan

MagpieGlass
2011-05-24, 2:33pm
For everyone that has asked ...

Got this from Dave at ABR today:

Good news! I got to work on this for you today, and I have 15 lbs of Mai Tai, Double Mai Tai, and Mega Mai Tai, on the way! I will have 5 of each at the GAS Conference in Seattle at my booth.

I will post in a couple days, with a good deal on it.

Keep ya posted, and thanks for the heads up!

Dave

ABR Dave
2011-05-25, 12:00pm
Yes! It's on the way! We will have it by next week. I will get it posted before I leave for Seattle!

Troll Lover
2011-05-25, 12:36pm
I'm still waiting for Anouk's Pictures...

;)

So sorry, just came back from a long holiday to Greece ;)! I'll get my hubby to make some pics for me tomorrow. Got a new heart in the kiln now with some double mai tai, flame struck. It was easy peasy!

Bunyip
2011-05-25, 5:55pm
Welcome back from Greece!

orion
2011-05-25, 10:50pm
Here are a few beads I made with Mai Tai Pink layered over white.

ABR Dave
2011-06-06, 10:49am
Alright, so I'm back from GAS, and have the Mai Tai's in stock. We are still setting up pricing, but should have it done, and on the web by tomorrow.

ABR Dave
2011-06-09, 5:30am
we now have all 3 Mai Tai's on the website. available in single pc, 1/4, 1/2, and full pound quantities.

MagpieGlass
2011-06-09, 12:51pm
These came out of the kiln recently.

I :love: this glass. Reminds me of a lipstick I had back in the 80's!!!

Firebrand Beads
2011-06-09, 2:39pm
Pretty, Laura!! Everyone is getting such nice stuff from these Mai Tai's!
For what it's worth, Paul likes to work some reduction into the glass so it gets swirls in it, and then burns off the haze from the surface before putting it in the kiln. His go in a light yellow, and come out dark pink/purple.

Otter's Flame
2011-06-09, 3:30pm
Here is another Pink Mai Tai from me. I posted it in the boro show and tell also.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Otters_Flame/LE%20Posts/donut_060711.jpg

MagpieGlass
2011-06-09, 5:09pm
Pretty, Laura!! Everyone is getting such nice stuff from these Mai Tai's!
For what it's worth, Paul likes to work some reduction into the glass so it gets swirls in it, and then burns off the haze from the surface before putting it in the kiln. His go in a light yellow, and come out dark pink/purple.

Yup ... I've done that on others. This set was the first time I got it really hot, wrapped it on, got it really hot to shape but no reduction and no flame striking.

I've found that I can get it to "flame strike" as a set up ... to get it to go a deep purple. If it goes into the kiln dark amber from flame striking ... it comes out purple.

I have a pair of grooved barrels I made where I worked in reduction and then rolled in Triple Passion frit. Yuuuummmmy!!!

I'm having a blast with working it different ways to make it bend to my whim on any given day. I'm having a hard time working with anything else ... I just want to play with Mai Tai. (Now I'm thirst too)

MagpieGlass
2011-06-09, 5:12pm
Oh yea, and the best part ... if you're not sure you like them ... toss them back in the kiln for another annealing sequence and get a different set of colors.

MagpieGlass
2011-06-09, 5:13pm
Here is another Pink Mai Tai from me. I posted it in the boro show and tell also.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Otters_Flame/LE%20Posts/donut_060711.jpg

Gorgeous. The Stardust looks really great with the Mai Tai!!

Firebrand Beads
2011-06-10, 10:48am
You all are making me do the snoopy dance!!! {Heart!!}

chrissy
2011-06-11, 12:16pm
Snoopy dance??? Now you got this girl curious.

Who wants to see a youtube movie with Jenny's Snoopy Dance???

ME ME ME!!! ROFL

PS: Still need to play with Mai Tai. If only I had some time :(

Firebrand Beads
2011-06-11, 5:19pm
LOL! No, you reeeeeeally don't want to see that, lol!

Otter's Flame
2011-06-11, 10:31pm
Gorgeous. The Stardust looks really great with the Mai Tai!!

Thanks Laura, I have been playing with several combinations and I am absolutely loving the Mai Tai and stardust. There is also a slight reaction where they meet, I overlap the colors, Mai Tai on top of the Blue Stardust. I really like this combo,

SilverRiverJewelry
2011-06-12, 10:49am
I just did a set of beads in Mai Tai pink and they are currently soaking at 1150. I did them first so they have been in at least an hour and a half and still look more light orange than anything else. Will leave them for another hour and see what happens. I have no idea if I did this right, but they were screaming hot then cooled to no glow before going into the kiln.

LarryC
2011-06-12, 11:02am
LOL! No, you reeeeeeally don't want to see that, lol!

Sure we do.....On YouTube :)

SilverRiverJewelry
2011-06-12, 1:45pm
Okay they did not turn out like the rest of the beads I am seeing here lol. They are kind of a milky opaque pinky amber color. Not sure what I did wrong, but I will try and kiln strike them again the next time I do boro. I'm wondering if its because I layered it over clear instead of just using it as is?

MagpieGlass
2011-06-12, 2:05pm
Sonja,

The milkyness is normally haze. You need to burn that off with a hot, oxy rich flame.

Any you have seen of mine are normally layered over clear and the most recent set had a Dwarf white center, then clear, then Mai Tai Pink.

Okay they did not turn out like the rest of the beads I am seeing here lol. They are kind of a milky opaque pinky amber color. Not sure what I did wrong, but I will try and kiln strike them again the next time I do boro. I'm wondering if its because I layered it over clear instead of just using it as is?

SilverRiverJewelry
2011-06-12, 2:14pm
Okay thanks Laura. Can I heat them back up in the kiln and burn off the haze and then stick them back in to soak? Sorry for all the silly questions, this stuff is totally different than 104!

MagpieGlass
2011-06-12, 3:57pm
You should be able to preheat them in the kiln and reintroduce in the flame to burn off the haze and then replace them in the kiln.

Oh yes ... the boro is totally different than 104 but sooo much fun.

Otter's Flame
2011-06-12, 4:32pm
Sonja,
I would also try bumping up my kiln to 1180 even.... I have done that as well and struck the Mai Tai pretty easily. Like Laura said the milkyness is just haze, it would be worth it to try and burn it off. I would also let them ride through a couple of annealing cycles, it seems like Mai Tai absolutely loves being kiln struck for long periods of time very hot.

Good luck!

SilverRiverJewelry
2011-06-12, 7:47pm
Okay I will give it a shot next time around. I only get about one day a week to torch if I'm lucky but will give it a try the next time around. Thanks!

Firebrand Beads
2011-06-14, 10:53am
The other option to burning off the haze is to build it up with lots of reduction. Then your beads will be blue/green, with the color on the surface.
This is regular Mai Tai Pink, a paddle that Paul made with LOTS of reduction on the surface, then kiln struck. VERY different effect!

Firebrand Beads
2011-06-14, 4:26pm
Sure we do.....On YouTube :)

Oh OK!!!
try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAF7Pgd_VPA&feature=related

I think that is me in the dress? LOL!

mamagerbs
2011-06-15, 5:00pm
I made a couple pieces with Mai Tai yesterday. I soaked them for 1 1/2 hour at 1150. No pinks or purples, just amber. Did i do something wrong?

And can I put them back in the kiln to try to strike again?

MagpieGlass
2011-06-15, 5:52pm
I made a couple pieces with Mai Tai yesterday. I soaked them for 1 1/2 hour at 1150. No pinks or purples, just amber. Did i do something wrong?

And can I put them back in the kiln to try to strike again?

Yes ... absolutely put them back in again. You can even bump the kiln a tad more say 1165 for 30 minutes to an hour. Amber is usually right before the pinks and purples come!!

Good Luck.

Firebrand Beads
2011-06-16, 12:08pm
I have a friend that likes to test his amber-purples by making a small marble, putting it in the back of the kiln, and checking it every day for color change. FOR A YEAR! Seriously! He says you will see some really interesting things this way, I for one do not have that kind of patience. With the MTP, however, it can take a couple of kiln cycles if you did not heat the bejeebus out of it to begin with. What kind of torch are you using, Mamagerbs?

ABR Dave
2011-06-16, 1:24pm
I still have a lb. of Maitai and 3 of MegaMaiTai, all for 50 per lb. Check Sales Rack for details

This was leftover from GAS, and I see you all are fans of the color.....so just thought I'd mention it

mamagerbs
2011-06-16, 5:08pm
I used a Nortel Midrange at a rental studio nearby. I am (impatiently) waiting for my vent and new circuit for my kiln to be completed in my garage to use my brand new Redmax! I'll try to strike it again in my kiln once I have it all set up.

SilverRiverJewelry
2011-06-20, 1:14pm
Okay I put warmed them back up, tried to burn off the haze in an oxygen rich flame and put them back in the kiln at 1150 for over 4 hours. Nothing. They don't look much different than the first time around. and the second one I tried this time around, over white, is a very pretty transparent light yellow.

Firebrand Beads
2011-06-20, 2:37pm
Sonja, that is weird. You should be getting something from the Mai Tai Pink if you have restruck them in the kiln. Where did you get this and when? I can track down batch numbers that way and re-test a stick here at the factory.

Also, are you sure it's Mai Tai Pink, and not the EXP that is on the sale page at Glasscraft? That one is a transparent pink that does not strike, it was a precursor to the Pink Cadillac.

SilverRiverJewelry
2011-06-20, 3:55pm
Thanks Jenny. This is what I have on my tags that I use to label my glass. 1759 Mai Tai Pink 33 Tag. I copy this from the invoice. But I will double check my invoice when I go in to work since I keep all of my paperwork at my day job.

Okay I looked through my saved email invoices. I got this from Frantz and this is the line on the invoice in reference to this.
1 x Mai Tai Pink 33 Coe TAG Glass Rods (622010)
Trautman Art Glass 1/4 lb

SilverRiverJewelry
2011-06-20, 3:56pm
I will take pics as soon as I have a chance to set up my lightbox, I have been working overtime so haven't had much time to do anything.

Otter's Flame
2011-06-20, 6:16pm
Sonja,
Sent you a PM

SilverRiverJewelry
2011-06-21, 11:47am
I sent you one back.

Sonja,
Sent you a PM

Firebrand Beads
2011-06-23, 10:57am
Ah, yes - that is definitely the Mai Tai Pink. (I was alarmed to discover there were older experimental glasses I couldn't even remember being sold by another distributor; if I can't remember them it's hard to answer questions, lol!!)

Otter is becoming my go-to guy on Mai Tai Pink questions, I am sure he's getting you closer to what you want. ;-)
THANKS, OTTER!

SilverRiverJewelry
2011-07-02, 7:09pm
Finally got pictures. These have been in the flame twice and probably sat at 1150 for a total of 6 hours. You can see its trying to be pink lol. I can't get the haze off it either. The ones that came out of the kiln today that Magpie glass sent me a rod off look like they might be better. It was interesting because the rod she sent me turns a deep pink/burgandy color when I put it on the rod rest after making the bead, and the one I used for these has a very pale yellow bit at the end. I made several from each rod so I will see if they are the same or not, same flame, same amount of time in the kiln (except for the time resting while I was making the next one of course!)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6003/5895913084_5d81c8dc8e_m.jpg

MagpieGlass
2011-07-03, 7:55am
Hey Sonja,

I sent you a Mai Tai Pink and a Double Mai Tai. The darker rod is Double Mai Tai. (I thought I labeled them ... but may have forgotten in my hurry).

The Double strikes up in the flame and then a little more in the kiln. You should be able to get some pink/purple with that.

I don't know how you do boro on an M5 ... even on my M15 it is slow to me. Guess it's 'cause I learned on tanked first. You must be a verrrrrry patient lady!!!

Finally got pictures. These have been in the flame twice and probably sat at 1150 for a total of 6 hours. You can see its trying to be pink lol. I can't get the haze off it either. The ones that came out of the kiln today that Magpie glass sent me a rod off look like they might be better. It was interesting because the rod she sent me turns a deep pink/burgandy color when I put it on the rod rest after making the bead, and the one I used for these has a very pale yellow bit at the end. I made several from each rod so I will see if they are the same or not, same flame, same amount of time in the kiln (except for the time resting while I was making the next one of course!)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6003/5895913084_5d81c8dc8e_m.jpg

LarryC
2011-07-03, 8:44am
If your looking for the vibrant purples/pinks you gotta get rid of that haze before you attempt to kiln strike this color. Use a very hot very hard driving flame on the torch and heat the $%^& out of it :) Should be just about clear when you are ready to box it. I use both the regular and the double Mai Tai. The double may be best for your setup as it strikes easily in the flame.

MagpieGlass
2011-07-03, 1:33pm
Wonderful advice Larry ... I'm afraid that Sonja can't get that super hot "heat the bejezus out of it" phaze on the one 5 lpm oxycon.

We've been chatting on PM at length and it all of a sudden hit me that I remember she was working on an oxycon and a baby one at that.

I can get color out of the Mai Tai on my M15 but it takes longer and not as vibrant ... switch to the tank and "life is good".

SilverRiverJewelry
2011-07-03, 9:23pm
Ahh thank you. And yes Laura you did label them for me lol. I did try and get the haze off but it wasn't happening. I will be saving for a second oxy con, in the mean time I will give the double mai tai a try and see what happens. And yes, I am pretty patient but boy, it gets really hot waiting for those beads to melt lol!

The second set (still on the mandrel) is a bit better, I played with it a bit longer and I can see more pink but still pretty orange. Well, its all all a learning experience and I am having fun playing anyway.

MagpieGlass
2011-07-04, 8:00am
Glad you are having fun. Hopefully the dbl mai tai will give you some quicker results.

If you strike it real close to the cones it hazes over to a quick, opaque purple!!

SilverRiverJewelry
2011-07-07, 1:37pm
will give it a go. Not sure if I will get to torch this weekend or not. Am hoping to give it a try anyway!

G.L.McBead
2011-07-26, 1:48pm
My rods are clear and the tip where I used it is clear too the beads came out blue gray.
do i need to cook it in the flame more?I made some DAP at the same time and did them the same and got nice brite purple.
G.

LarryC
2011-07-26, 4:45pm
Grey/Blue Opaque? Sounds like you need to burn off the silver haze. My MaiTai rods are kinda light yellow transparent. Got a picture?

Firebrand Beads
2011-07-27, 10:33am
G, try putting them back in the kiln, too, for a couple of hours more. See how they change color. The blue is silver haze on the surface. If you burn that off more you'll get more of the kiln-striking pink and amber to show through. They should go into the kiln pale amber yellow, and the pink-amber-orangey colors come up in the kiln. And it can be struck for days if needed. Apparently they do strike faster in the kiln if they were worked hotter?

The Double Mai Tai, and the Mega Mai Tai, will give you the immediate color right in the flame like the DAP does. The Mai Tai Pink is designed to be a kiln-striker, because that gives artists who want it more control over their final color. FWIW...

G.L.McBead
2011-07-27, 2:53pm
thanks.
on the ap i could see the haze and burn it off with no prob. but i couldn't see any haze on the mai tai.
I'll give it another go and see what happens.
G.

Otter's Flame
2011-07-27, 11:05pm
The haze actually burns off of the Mai Tai quick and stays off easily. Give it another one, two or three cycles in the kiln, it might surprise you. Also, strike it at a higher temp than you normally would the AP family.

Baywinger
2011-08-10, 8:11am
Here is a Mai Tai heart I made last night
it is mega mai over star white

Firebrand Beads
2011-08-10, 9:33am
nice!

glassfetish
2011-08-19, 12:41pm
This is such gorgeous glass but so expensive - thanks very much for this help, it will save money...... but really need MORE pix !!!

Firebrand Beads
2011-08-19, 4:00pm
This just in... Apparently some batches are a bit slow to strike? And need a good boost to 1150 for a bit to trigger them well? Paul says he has been playing with some variations in this recipe that will kiln strike faster. FWIW...

nevadaglass
2011-09-21, 2:00pm
I havent posted the flowers I made with Mai Tai but they started out translucent lemon yellow, then went to darker and darker ambers - I annealed at 1050 4 times and now they are a gorgeous plum color but no pink.....Should I continue to re-kiln or is it just going to get darker? Its not a bad looking color at this point but not much variation in the color I'll try to remember to post a pic.

LarryC
2011-09-21, 2:20pm
I havent posted the flowers I made with Mai Tai but they started out translucent lemon yellow, then went to darker and darker ambers - I annealed at 1050 4 times and now they are a gorgeous plum color but no pink.....Should I continue to re-kiln or is it just going to get darker? Its not a bad looking color at this point but not much variation in the color I'll try to remember to post a pic.

In my experience, color variation in silver opals like MT comes from some amount of reduction being mixed in somewhere along the way and also some kind of heat differential. Work along those lines and you might like the result. I have not had a whole lot of luck kiln striking so far. I prefer striking colors like the double MT that can be struck in the torch. Just my style.

nevadaglass
2011-09-21, 2:26pm
Thanks! I will try that on the next set.
=D>

In my experience, color variation in silver opals like MT comes from some amount of reduction being mixed in somewhere along the way and also some kind of heat differential. Work along those lines and you might like the result. I have not had a whole lot of luck kiln striking so far. I prefer striking colors like the double MT that can be struck in the torch. Just my style.

Tanner Studios
2011-09-22, 12:25pm
I've been working with mai tai for a month now here some of my results. They are mixed with other colors but are heavy with Mai Tai.

scott

deb tarry
2011-09-23, 7:49am
Beautiful.

LarryC
2011-09-23, 8:59am
Nice, Scott. This color has an amazing range. Are these kiln or torch struck?

Firebrand Beads
2011-09-23, 10:45am
Nevada, yes - what Larry said. Otter too had found that you get more pinks where you heated the bejeebus out of it, and more ambers where it was just melted into place and kiln struck. The blues come from kiln striking the reduction haze on the surface if you don't burn it all off, or are inside the pieces if you work some reduction in while you melt it (that's what Paul T. likes to do.)

nevadaglass
2011-09-24, 8:15am
I promised a pic of my mai tai flower - here it is:

pierces*designs
2011-09-24, 5:45pm
Gorgeous work with Mai Tai! That flower is amazing! And the heart, and Scott's beads always make my say Whoa!

Firebrand Beads
2011-09-24, 6:15pm
like!!

Nitadee
2011-10-05, 3:15pm
Well I had to do it. (that little boro devil on my shoulder was SCREAMING at me!)
Have some stuff in the kiln right now. I have read, and re-read this thread from stem to stern LOL! Hoping that I can get at least a little of the fantastic colors I see here, on my Minor with one oxycon....Hey! It could happen!
Keeping fingers crossed
:love:
Nita

nevadaglass
2011-10-06, 2:39pm
nitadee, just rememeber you might have to re-anneal 3 or 4 times. I annealed my flower 4 different times before I got that color. the first time it came out a yellowish amber, second it came out a dark amber-ish rose, 3rd and 4th were just deeper richers tones of purples and reds. The 4th time is when I really noticed the blues as well.

Firebrand Beads
2011-10-07, 3:33pm
We have altered the recipe to strike faster. FWIW... but that is newer batches only.

firekissedtreats
2011-10-09, 8:18am
A flower I made. Mai Tai over snow white.

nevadaglass
2011-10-11, 2:25pm
Sooo - now you've gone and done it - guess I am going to have place yet another order for glass...oh, and a few more slots to store it in...next stop - a bigger studio - :-s#-o LOL

oh wait - you can never have too many toys or too much glass!

We have altered the recipe to strike faster. FWIW... but that is newer batches only.