Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : launch pictures

patienthand
2011-05-16, 2:18pm
This was taken right as we arrived inside Kennedy Space Center. My bead was "space walk" and an imitation if this suit, so I HAD to get this picture. This is about 1 am in the morning

This was taken at dawn. I am frozen. There is also a space blanket under the other covers. During the night the whole space center was open. I went and watched the 3D Imax movie on the hubble telescope, and wandered around inside a retired shuttle, and looked at the rocket graveyard and other exhibits.

Part of the viewing area next to the big screen TV, where retired austronauts would come and speek periodically and explain the nasa speak and what was happening throughout the night and morning. the ones in the blue jump suits are astronauts

the big screen TV. we got to see the astronauts get suited up, ride to the shuttle, get loaded and strapped in, sitting on the pad. KSC is about 10 miles from hte launch pad, closest VIP viewing is 3 1/2 miles

the rocket graveyard view from where we watched the launch, it was gorgeous at night all lit up, but my pics didnt turn out

all I saw of the launch. see the glow at the bottom of the tree? There was a low cloud deck, and it was in the clouds and out of site quickly. This is all I got to see. But I could hear the roar and feel the shockwave. I was waiting for the shuttle to clear that tree and when it didnt my heart stopped, I thought something horrible had happened. Our astronaut announcer assured us it was ok and just above the clouds already. WHEW!!! On a clear day you can see it launch for about 2 minutes.

This was one of the original 35 astronauts chosen for the shuttle program when it began, he was one of our announcers. I happened to see him on our way out of the park and he was sweet to stop and let us take this picture.

You can be sure I was yelling my fool head off at launch and carrying all your love and good wishes.

Terri has added more pictures further down in the thread

Lea Zinke
2011-05-16, 2:29pm
ATo view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. great pics, Candice! It was wayyyy too cloudy over here in Clearwater for us to see anything! Thanks for posting pics!:waving:

xtweeksx
2011-05-16, 2:33pm
Wow really interesting read, thank you. Glad you had a great time - looks brilliant :-)

patienthand
2011-05-16, 2:57pm
I was awake over 31 hours before I got back home. I have had a short nap since then, but still feel like i have sand in my eyes. They shut down the access roads into kennedy space center several hours before a launch. they also have to bus folks to some of the VIP viewing areas, and the causeway. They advise you to be there 7-8 hours before launch. Leaving the area after a launch can take hours and hours. we expected a 4 hour trip back to orlando, which would normally be an hour. But we got smart, knew some back ways, and went for some great seafood on the water and let the worst clear out before we got back on the roads

I did take a pocket full of beads with me to the launch and gave some out to kids and folks around me, and some nasa employees, it was tons of fun.

Fine Folly Glassworks
2011-05-16, 4:23pm
Thank you for sharing! What neat pics and descriptions!

PattyK
2011-05-17, 7:39am
Thanks for sharing those pictures Candice. It sounds like you had a wonderful time!

BellaBean
2011-05-17, 7:59am
Thank you for sharing the pics Candice!!! It looks like you had a great time.

Lara
2011-05-17, 6:01pm
Thanks so much for sharing. YAY, someone from our little group was there!

debim
2011-05-17, 8:25pm
That's really cool Candice! I'm glad you got to be there!

tikiterri
2011-05-18, 12:43am
The rocket Graveyard at night
View from the SVB
View of the launchpad
Another view of the launchpad
The wind picked up a bit
Beads of Courage Headed into the space.

patienthand
2011-05-18, 4:06am
yay Terri, thanks for sharing your pics too...for other folks.. Terri had VIP tickets for this launch and was at the banana river site, the closest spot to view it from at 3 1/2 miles. I was about 10 miles away

Diane Woodall
2011-05-18, 6:12am
What a thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime experience. I'm so happy you were there to personally share in the excitement of it all. And thanks for sharing your photos with the rest of us.

Lara
2011-05-18, 4:33pm
Very cool, thanks for the photos Terri.

Jeri
2011-05-18, 6:13pm
Thanks for the photos. I loved seeing them. Jeri

bshelle
2011-05-19, 7:21am
Love the photos!!! Thanks for posting them Candice!

LoriGreenberg
2011-05-22, 9:25pm
Wonderful! Goosebumps again!

dalilly
2011-05-24, 6:18am
Candice, What are the odds you would have your beads onboard AND get to be there to see the shuttle off into space? How fantastic for you and the BOC program! WTG

Thanks to Terri and you for sharing great pictures of this very special event.