Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : BOC amazing experience!

Jeri
2011-05-18, 6:01pm
Today I was an invited presenter at the Watchung Hills Regional High School, where I demoed beads for two art classes. One of the (NINE) art teachers, Michelle Ravettina has adopted BOC and the whole school is on-fire with projects and events related to BOC, all because of Michelle. The art students are making polymer and paper beads, in sewing they are making bead bags (with sewn on BOC labels), in wood shop they are making beautiful bead boxes. Not just a few, I think they already have over 50 boxes, a ton of bags, and a many many bracelets. There are banners and posters everywhere in the building, and the teachers I met were wearing strings of letter beads spelling their name, ending with the BOC white ceramic bead.

It was so inspirational and rewarding to see teenagers turned on by acts of charity and goodness. Michelle has come up with the idea of "bead sponsors". She receives beads from BOC and anyone can sponsor a bead for $5. These are pretty much the beads that all of us send in, just ordinary ones, not special ones. For that donation, they can write a note that gets packaged with the bead, when it is given to a child. I read a few of the notes and was so touched I had to turn away. Each card had a personal cheery message, for the unknown recipient.

Think about it, basically the student shells out $5 for the "opportunity" to pick the bead, write the note, put it in a bag, and hand it back to the program. They have raised hundreds of dollars.

They are also making bracelets and returning them with inspirational notes that are amazing. I am trying to attach a few pics, but I just wanted to share with you how uplifted I am to know that ordinary people can be so GOOD. Michelle studied to be an art teacher at NYU, where she was interested in art for social justice. I'm sure BOC could use 100 more like her.

I am grateful to Ashlee and Lori at BOC who connected me to Michelle and the High School, because we are only about 30 minutes away from each other. I intend to participate in more events with them going forward. I hope my facts about the program are close to accurate, it was a long day, but I just had to share. Jeri

Banner at the front door:
One of the bead boxes
demo in class
student's bracelet with note

Lara
2011-05-18, 6:47pm
How cool Jeri! What a great group of kids. Really like that bead box.

Lizzydee
2011-05-18, 7:15pm
awesome.

carolinesbeads
2011-05-19, 12:04am
That is so cool! That note was really sweet too.

Caroline

Beadanna
2011-05-19, 12:10am
Thanks for sharing that Jeri - inspirational.

patienthand
2011-05-19, 4:33am
oh wow... this needs to be cloned to other schools....thanks for sharing

Jeri
2011-05-19, 5:21am
I was definitely having 'bead box' envy. They are so beautifully made!! Next year they plan on having the wood burning tool that will let them write BOC on the lid. Jeri

Diane Woodall
2011-05-19, 6:24am
Jeri, what a wonderful group of young people! I think each of us has within our hearts a desire to do good things for others. And each of us can imagine what an ordeal it is for children to battle cancer, though I don't think we can ever really know how painful and difficult the journey really is. The beads the kids get from BOC do seem to have magical qualities. All those teens needed was someone to lead them in the right direction, and now they will know the joy of working with BOC like we do.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Melinda
2011-05-20, 4:46pm
WOW!! let me know if they consider selling some of the box's as a fundraiser. I'd love to have one.

LoriGreenberg
2011-05-20, 7:14pm
That is fantastic Jeri. Thank you so much for taking the time to connect and demo for the kids! The sure do have a great art program there and I love how they're integrating it into everything!

kissmyglassjackie
2011-05-20, 10:53pm
Thanks Jeri, Thats a fantastic school effort. i love how all the departments get involved! Loveit!

Ness
2011-05-21, 3:12am
How amazingly uplifting, what a great bunch of kids.

alb6094
2011-05-21, 7:47am
How awesome, I love the bead boxes!

Kris Schaible
2011-05-21, 8:48am
Awesome Jeri... thanks for sharing....

zany artist
2011-05-22, 12:00pm
WOW!! let me know if they consider selling some of the box's as a fundraiser. I'd love to have one.

Looks like there is a market for them. \\:D/ I would love one!

Jeri
2011-05-26, 5:09pm
I think the kids make the boxes with school provided wood, and then they go to BOC, so I doubt they would be able to sell, them even as a fundraiser. Still, I will look into it, couldn't hurt!

Today I shipped BOC all the test beads from my book (at least the ones that made it through in one piece). I'm really excited about what a big heavy box it turned out to be! Jeri

cakelady
2011-05-26, 6:03pm
What wonderful kids. The work they are doing is amazing. I also love the bead box, and would be interested. I gave 118 bead to BOC right in time for Christmas. I can't explain how it made me feel. I got way more out of giving then I ever thought possible. So if your thinking about giving do so, you won't be sorry. God bless all the Children the giver's and receiver's.