Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Shampoo glass

CorriDawn
2005-07-21, 9:18pm
I have some shampoo glass, but have a few questions. Can I only use it with other shampoo glass? I know it has to be worked cool, does it also loose the irridesence if you work it too long?

I have some because I just HAD to have it. sdon't know why

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2005-07-21, 11:12pm
Lather..... rinse....... repeat...........

WhiskerWood
2005-07-21, 11:23pm
Lather..... rinse....... repeat...........

ROTFLMAO!!!!

I don't have any shampoo glass so I don't know...
I does look gorgeous in rod form though!!!

Kalera
2005-07-21, 11:43pm
You do have to work it pretty cool to keep the luster... some colors hold it better than others, though. I think you're only supposed to use it with itself, but I tried it with something else once (Uroboros maybe?) and the bead survived. I never tried more.

Heidi von Frozenfyre
2005-08-21, 10:35am
Hey Corri,
I used to own the Czech Glass company - and the shampoo colors were one of my favorites, and I was the one who named it "shampoo" :)

Work it cool - yes.

The c.o.e. is much higher due to the lead content. (also the brighter the color the higher the c.o.e. in other brands of glass too.... but they don't want you to know that)

Never marver with a graphite paddle - brass marver is fine.,

For the shampoo to keep it's shampooieness, you need to use the shampoo clear. Either encase the bead in it - or swirl it in with the color(s)

Annealing is ok - but do it at around 750ish. This glass melts like bubblegum.

Honestly - you know what a stickler I am for annealing..... the Czech Shampoo and Czech leaded glass while being used in teh Czech Republic is *never* annealed, and they use butane torches - which would be the equivelent of a *choke*hot*cough*head. Only for this reason, and only this glass I would suggest a HH and annealing isn't that necessary. The lead content in the glass will hold the heat.

When I get done with all of my twistie orders - I'm going to use up some of the shampoo in pressed beads :)

If you have any questions about shampoos, the leaded Czech or any Czech glass - just ask. I devoloped most of the palette when I would travel there. I worked with Kavilir company (Boro) and helped de-bug their torch design. The Glaverbel glass co., Ornella, GlassTechnik etc... oh and HutPrinc. There that's my resume and story and I'm sticking to it!

CorriDawn
2005-08-21, 8:57pm
Thank you so much Heidi! I was wondering what the point of my having the clear was. I will have to try it. maybe tomorrow night. no way am I getting out my hothead again though!!!

suzanne
2005-08-21, 10:47pm
Hmz does anyone have some pictures of shampoo beadies? I think I MUST have this glass, but want to see what the colours look like. I just checked Jan's website ( this is the company you used to own right?) and the colors look fabulous!!

Suzanne

SuzyQ
2005-08-22, 5:05am
Hey Corri,
I used to own the Czech Glass company - and the shampoo colors were one of my favorites, and I was the one who named it "shampoo" :)

Work it cool - yes.

The c.o.e. is much higher due to the lead content. (also the brighter the color the higher the c.o.e. in other brands of glass too.... but they don't want you to know that)

Never marver with a graphite paddle - brass marver is fine.,

For the shampoo to keep it's shampooieness, you need to use the shampoo clear. Either encase the bead in it - or swirl it in with the color(s)

Annealing is ok - but do it at around 750ish. This glass melts like bubblegum.

Honestly - you know what a stickler I am for annealing..... the Czech Shampoo and Czech leaded glass while being used in teh Czech Republic is *never* annealed, and they use butane torches - which would be the equivelent of a *choke*hot*cough*head. Only for this reason, and only this glass I would suggest a HH and annealing isn't that necessary. The lead content in the glass will hold the heat.

When I get done with all of my twistie orders - I'm going to use up some of the shampoo in pressed beads :)

If you have any questions about shampoos, the leaded Czech or any Czech glass - just ask. I devoloped most of the palette when I would travel there. I worked with Kavilir company (Boro) and helped de-bug their torch design. The Glaverbel glass co., Ornella, GlassTechnik etc... oh and HutPrinc. There that's my resume and story and I'm sticking to it!

Wow, can I touch you? I knew you were cool, but now.... :)
Thanks for the information. I love the shades of shampoo glass but so far the yellow is the only one I liked when done. I'm going to get some clear and play!

Sylvie Anne
2005-08-22, 6:06am
Hmz does anyone have some pictures of shampoo beadies? I think I MUST have this glass, but want to see what the colours look like. I just checked Jan's website ( this is the company you used to own right?) and the colors look fabulous!!

Suzanne

I don't have a picture, but yes, you really must have this glass. I've bought it a few times but have always ended giving it away or selling it because I don't have the patience to work it way out in the back of the flame. ](*,) But boy is it beautiful!!!

Heidi von Frozenfyre
2005-08-22, 6:31am
I do have photos of marbles I've made with it... they are on a cd someplace. When I have the time and find the cd I'll post. They are luscious! In Europe they were calling it (what translates to be) "Moonshine" Well *ahem* here in America that's a whole different part of the studio... where the still is :) So I called it Shampoo because it looks like Pert shampoo when you pour it out into your hand. Try not to pour the molten glass into your hand tho... not a good idea :)

I used to get the shampoo glass partially encased - I wonder if Jan Burrows is importing it encased?

ALSO... oh my I forgot.... if you know the orgasmic palette of the "Lead" colors... very vibrant - you can get by with just white shampoo... and mix it with the lead colors. WOW it'll knock your sox off :)

suzanne
2005-08-22, 6:42am
Moonshine?? Never heard of that before, shampoo makes all the more sence. I did hear about mother of pearl glass, and I assume it's the same thing. Now to find a suplier of moonshine ( not the alcohol:D)in europe or have Jan ship some here

*sigh* so much glass , so little time

cghipp
2005-08-22, 7:03am
FYI, Mother of Pearl glass is not the same COE as Shampoo; MOP is 104. I've got the MOP in several colors and just got some Shampoo at the Gathering, and I think the Shampoo is every bit as gorgeous and comes in more colors to boot. I picked up a purpley-fucshia color that is to die for.

I made a few leaves with the Shampoo and I have found it doesn't much care for steel, either. I got some little pits just from using mashing pliers. Too bad no one makes brass mashers!

I had no trouble keeping the shampoo-iness of the glass, and I'm using a really hot torch. I just made sure I never kept the glass still in the flame when making my gather for the leaves.

Courtney

suzanne
2005-08-22, 8:12am
I knew it had a differend coe, but I thought the look was similar. Do you have some pictures? The only picture of a shampoo bead I have ever seen was a sweet soft yellow bead ( I saw it on wc a long time ago... it might have been suzyq's bead but I don't remember)

Suzanne

DancingSalamander
2005-08-22, 8:52am
I just got some at the Gathering. Haven't had much time to work with it. I did learn that I can only work with one concentrator going and it at 2.5 for the shampooieness to stay.

Here's a play bead. I didn't know that I had to mix in the clear to keep the color. I just worked in very cool. For the fins, the glass started going clear. I liked it because it made a color deliniation.

It's a really fun glass to play with. Someday I'll take the time to really get more ideas.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/uploadedimages.php?viewid=2004

shawnette
2005-08-22, 8:58am
FYI, Mother of Pearl glass is not the same COE as Shampoo; MOP is 104. I've got the MOP in several colors and just got some Shampoo at the Gathering, and I think the Shampoo is every bit as gorgeous and comes in more colors to boot. I picked up a purpley-fucshia color that is to die for.

I made a few leaves with the Shampoo and I have found it doesn't much care for steel, either. I got some little pits just from using mashing pliers. Too bad no one makes brass mashers!

I had no trouble keeping the shampoo-iness of the glass, and I'm using a really hot torch. I just made sure I never kept the glass still in the flame when making my gather for the leaves.

Courtney

I made my own brass mashers. I had some heavy brass sheets (3" x 6", I beileve) that I cut a couple of pieces off of. I used some 2 part epoxy and glued them to a set of bbq tongs. I bent the arms of the tongs to make them parallel mashers. They're not pretty, but they work great and were really cheap. (The tongs were $1 for a pack of 3)

cghipp
2005-08-22, 10:04am
Shawnette - Excellent idea!

Courtney

suzanne
2005-08-22, 10:06am
shawnette your baby has stolen my heart, what a sweety!!!

shawnette
2005-08-22, 10:40am
Thanks Suzanne. I think I'll keep him ;).

A also made a (Not)Stump shaper and a marver with brass. You can get it at Ace Hardware. I forgot to mention that the mashers should NOT be used in the flame. (Burned epoxy STINKS!#-o)

suzanne
2005-08-22, 10:43am
If you decide to give him away...Just send him over to me, what a beauty!