Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : General safety rules... comments?

InspirationToolworks
2006-04-25, 5:44am
I'm updating my tool instructions, and am including general safety guidelines. Anyone have any suggestions on what I've got?

Safety First:

Be proactive about safety. Take classes, do research, and talk with experts. Actively work to reduce or eliminate hazards.

Always use the correct filtered glasses to protect your eyes from infrared radiation, ultra violet radiation, and flying pieces of glass.

Always wear natural fibers like cotton or wool when working. Synthetic fibers can melt, dramatically worsening burns.

Wear closed-toe shoes. Glass between the toes is bad.

Keep your workspace clean and organized. Set up your tools and glass so you don't need to reach over or around the torch.

Always work with proper ventilation. Talk with an expert about your situation.

Set up and operate your torch safely. Take a class or get an expert to show you.

Be careful with water. Putting hot tools or glass in water can generate steam. Long tubes can create jets of steam.

Watch out for repetitive strain injury (RSI). Take breaks, watch your posture, and cushion your elbow rests. Pain means you are hurting your body.

Always remove beads while wet to minimize bead release dust in the air.

-Jeff

Dale M.
2006-04-25, 8:19am
Secure torch to bench top to prevent it from being dragged off bench top in event of a "incident".

Keep hoses up and away from floor ares where they can become tangled with feet and legs - Tripping hazard (drags torch off bench top).

Periodically inspect fuel lines for leaks.

Always keep propane tanks outside.

Dale

Ree
2006-04-25, 8:30am
Where and what kind of air pump/generator do I get? I haven't found in all my reading of books and this forum what kind and where.

Dale M.
2006-04-25, 8:50am
Where and what kind of air pump/generator do I get? I haven't found in all my reading of books and this forum what kind and where.

Though this off topic in this thread... (maybe a system moderator will move it?)...

Usually most glass workers use a "oxygen concentrator". They are a reapplied medical oxygen therapy units. There are several Vendors who supply them through this forum (See VENDOR section(s) on forums). And many are available through e-bay (careful here - Ebay is pretty much buyer beware). Generally they are units that produce about 4.5 to 5 liters of oxygen per minute (LPM) at a pressure of about 7-8 pounds per square inch (PSI)....

There are also more expensive "generators" that work on same principal as concentrator but are more industrial in nature and usually have more volume (LPM) and more pressure (PSI) and are more expensive ($$$).

Also if one "concentrator" does not supply enough oxygen, then two or more can be linked together to supply more volume (LPM).

Dale

Ree
2006-04-25, 9:08am
Thank you that's helpful.

jaylee78
2006-04-25, 9:20am
Tools will become hot with use . . . no brainer, I know . . .

pam
2006-04-25, 10:13am
Keep a fire extinguisher between you and the closest door.

When laying down a hot glass rod, always point the hot end away from you so you don't pick up the wrong end.

When using enamels or powdered glass, use the appropriate mask to keep from breathing in glass particles.

Heather/Ericaceae
2006-04-25, 11:39am
Im my beginner classes I cover safety in seven categories:

-Explosion
(fuel safety, leak detection)

-Toxic air and lung damage
(ventilation, make-up air, masks, proper handling of vermiculite, bead release, glass powders)

-Burns
(Non-flammable work surfaces, proper natural fibre clothing, fire detectors, fire extinguishers, system for placing hot things and avoiding reaching across the flame, having cold water nearby for minor burns, having first aid supplies in case of deeper burns, pointing shocking rods away from self when heating)

-Cuts
(Proper footwear, melting in sharp bits, careful storage, awareness, first aid supplies)

-Eye Protection
(suitable safety/filtration glasses)

-Repetitive Strain
(ergonomics, breaks)

-Dehydration
(drinking lots of water)

I think most of this has been covered here but I like categories. :) -H.

baylie
2006-04-25, 11:44am
Remind watchers that they need eye protection as well.

InspirationToolworks
2006-05-09, 6:27am
Thanks for everyone's comments!

This is what I have come up with. Feel free to steal the text for your own use.

-Jeff

Think Safety:

Get instruction. Don't start lampworking without it.

Be proactive about safety. Take classes, do research, and talk with experts. Actively work to identify, and then reduce or eliminate hazards. You are responsible for your own safety and long term health.

This list is not an exhaustive list. Take classes, do research, and ask
questions.

Proper Preparation:

Always use the correct filtered glasses to protect your eyes from infrared radiation, ultra violet radiation, and flying pieces of glass.

Always wear natural fibers like cotton or wool when working. Synthetic fibers can melt, dramatically worsening burns.

Wear closed-toe shoes to protect from hot and sharp glass.

Keep your workspace clean and organized. Set up your tools and glass so you don't need to reach over or around the torch.

Tie long hair back, and put it down the back of your shirt.

Don't torch if you aren't up to it. Stop if you are tired, dehydrated, hungry, or under the influence.

Torch Safety:

Always work with proper ventilation. Talk with an expert about your situation.

Set up and operate your torch safely. Take a class or get an expert to show you.

Get help with picking and using the correct regulator, connectors, and hoses.

Secure your torch to a solid, non-flammable working surface.

Never bring propane tanks inside.

If you use bottled oxygen, talk to your supplier about safety. Always chain
the bottle up when stored, and keep the cap on when moving.

Make sure a fire extinguisher is on your way out of the room.

Manage your hoses. Place them where you won't trip on them, and inspect them
regularly.

Work Safely:

Watch out for repetitive strain injury (RSI). Take breaks, watch your posture, and cushion your elbow rests. Pain means you are hurting your body.

Be careful with water. Putting hot tools or glass in water can generate steam. Long tubes can create jets of steam.

Read the directions for your kiln, especially in regards to distance from
flammable surfaces and objects.

Don't use enamels or metals without instruction, and take extra care with
ventilation, a respirator, and clean working habits.

Work to eliminate sharp points of glass. Melt the ends back.

Keep track of what is hot. Tools and glass will become very hot. Think
before you reach.

Stay hydrated.

After Torch Safety:

Always shut down your torch system properly.

Always remove and clean your beads while wet to minimize bead release dust in the air.

Do not sell un-annealed beads or use them in jewelry. They are too easily broken.