Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Star White... worth another look.

Mr. Smiley
2006-04-27, 3:31pm
I just got a pound of Star White and I must say that I was surprised at how little it boils. It seems the reformulation worked. I always thought of star white as a super hard color to work with, but not any more. I'm glad I have this white, it's much much better than it used to be. :D If you haven't tried some of the newer stuff, give it a try.

Anakin's Glass Eye
2006-04-27, 6:06pm
I have a lot of Star White and I've learned to work with it. Yes, the old stuff is tricky. I will definitely try the new stuff when I run out.

I got a sample of some white at John Olsen's class at The Gathering Place. He referred to it as "Paramore White." I was getting the impression that Paramore was a guy. That stuff was silky smooth. I don't think I could have boiled it if I tried. Brent, do you know what that stuff might have been? Or who Paramore is? Sorry for my ignorance. I'd love to get my hands on some more.

Brad

Mr. Smiley
2006-04-27, 6:13pm
It's Roger Paramore. He calls it Parasilicate I think. I am pretty sure he's just rebatching the borostix white and pulling it into rod. It's a nice white, but thins out with heat. It looks watery. It reminds me of the old gun mounts. Boy, my last pound of those is like gold. I'm scared to use them, because they are gone baby gone... :lol:

Cosmo
2006-04-27, 7:05pm
The Paramore white melts like butter. I haven't had a problem with it thinning out, but I use a lot of it when I use it.

baylie
2006-04-27, 8:09pm
You should have got in on the boro box, all sorts of gunmount colors. Some I had never seen! Black, brown and yellow.....mmmm and there was dwarf green!!! I got it baby!!

Mr. Smiley
2006-04-28, 4:23am
I've got those other colors and they aren't nearly as hard to come by as the white or green. I've got a few sticks of the green left. I'll prolly never use it. It will be like dinosaur bones on display. :lol:

The yellow, green, baby blue and pink wash out to almost white. They are great for use as a base color. :D

baylie
2006-04-28, 5:05am
The color I like most from the gunmounts is the 'turtle green', real pale green. Doesn't seem to wash out. I am having a hard time bringing myself to use them up....

HardwoodTrailGlass
2006-04-28, 5:07am
Can you tell me what is so great about 'gunmount' colors? I don't know anything about them.

Mr. Smiley
2006-04-28, 5:33am
They were made by Corning a long time ago. They were used in electrics. They are short bars of boro that are pastel colored and melt like BUTTER. ;) They haven't made them in a very very long time. It's hard to find them. I have a source for the green ones if you want some Baylie.

baylie
2006-04-28, 7:03am
Yeah they stopped making them 8 years ago, so they were only around for awhile when I first started and I didn't think they would go away. I wish I would have stocked up! Pm me with the price on the green hook up if you would brent.

Juln
2006-05-02, 10:25pm
Parramore's color is also known as 'New Color Company'.
The white is very good for some applications.