Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Sick of Clear

PolychromeBeads
2011-09-26, 4:52pm
Yes - this is another clear thread!

First I want to say that I miss my Diamond Clear. :pout: I never had any problems with it, and it was beautiful. I recently bought some other premium clear, and while it works fine with plain old Effetre or Vetrofond - it cracks with every single silver glass I have used it with! I have tried Double Helix, StrikingColor, Precision, and TAG. All of them have developed nasty incompatibility-type cracks (the wandering-all-over cracks, not just end-to-end).

It really ticks me off to pay a premium for glass that just won't work - and yes, I tried to contact the manufacturer, but received no response. I would rather pay more than waste time pickling glass, but if no one can make a clear that works...

Okay, rant over. Now that pickling clear has been around for a while, is there anyone that isn't happy with it? Those who are are quite vocal, and I never hear anything bad - so does it work for everybody?

Aimee

AKDesigns
2011-09-27, 4:39pm
Hmmm.....I strictly use DH clear and I encase solid and mixed silver glass at every torch session and I've never had an incapability problem. I'm thinking it's not the clear?....

Wait....I'm confused. What clear are you using. I think I read your post wrong.

JavaGirlBT
2011-09-27, 4:46pm
Zephyr is coming.

PolychromeBeads
2011-09-27, 5:32pm
I didn't want to name names because you know how people latch onto things and run with it. I didn't want to be the one starting another "incompatibility" fiasco.

I haven't tried Double Helix clear. I was concerned because it is on the high side (price-wise), it has a history of changing the colors of silver glass, and their website says the seconds may have "tiny rocks" :wtf: and bubbles (which I'm trying to avoid!)

Is it Aether that you've been using Amy? Or did you get some of the pre-release of Zephyr?

Aimee

Angie09
2011-09-28, 4:28am
Aimee ... the seconds of DH Aether are so much better than any firsts... yes, even Diamond Clear. I use it exclusively now. It's wonderful! I bought some Zephyr for silver colors but use Aether for everything else.

I have 1.6lbs of DC I bought about a year and a half ago I would gladly sell you for whatever the going rate is. Just pm me.

MelanieG
2011-09-28, 7:17pm
I like reichenbach crystal clear a lot, and it is only $26/lb, which while more than double moretti prices is a pretty good deal these days for decent clear.

AKDesigns
2011-09-28, 7:21pm
I use Aether seconds and they are the bomb. I rarely see a little rock in a rod but you see them easily so I just pluck them out when I get to them. I use it on all silver glass except Aurae, Clio and Triton...off the top of my head. I'm patiently waiting for Zephyr. I bought some from some friends so I could get started on tutorial test beads. But really, you can use Aether on most of the silver glass.

chrissij
2011-09-28, 7:28pm
I am in love with Aether. In. love.

Sherry
2011-09-29, 10:30am
Another vote for Aether. It's expensive, sure. But it's not as expensive as the crap clear that I'll never ever use; that's sitting there collecting dust. Clear is very important to me, and being able to work without frustration is worth every penny.

I've got some Zephyr too, but I keep forgetting to try it.

PolychromeBeads
2011-09-29, 11:36am
Okay, I just ordered some Aether to try. Y'all convinced me!

Aimee

kirrakat123
2011-09-29, 4:12pm
I like reichenbach crystal clear best.