Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Encasing Lentils - Question

mco
2005-07-24, 12:33am
When encasing lentils, do you wrap the glass, then wrap the clear over that and "then" smash the lentil - or do you smash the lentil and then wrap clear and resmash?

Another question - are there any tips to wrapping your bead in clear without melting and smearing the pattern? This is where I'm thinking smashing the lentil and then wrapping would be the trick. I've heard to make sure that your clear is overlapping and not to leave gaps - I'm doing that, but still gettig some of the pattern coming through. I think part of it is that I'm so afraid to really melt in the clear because it can get "smoky" so easily.

Any help would be great. Thanks. :)

paintingwithglass
2005-07-24, 1:28am
When encasing lentils, do you wrap the glass, then wrap the clear over that and "then" smash the lentil - or do you smash the lentil and then wrap clear and resmash?

Another question - are there any tips to wrapping your bead in clear without melting and smearing the pattern? This is where I'm thinking smashing the lentil and then wrapping would be the trick. I've heard to make sure that your clear is overlapping and not to leave gaps - I'm doing that, but still gettig some of the pattern coming through. I think part of it is that I'm so afraid to really melt in the clear because it can get "smoky" so easily.

Any help would be great. Thanks. :)

I encase the core color for the lentil then decorate then use the press to create the lentil. It is the easiest way to have the shape in my opinion.

For not smearing a pattern that you are encasing in clear you need to keep the core warm but not hot...and the clear hot. It just takes some practice to get the right temps. If the clear is getting smoky you are burning it...so just go farther away from the torch in the flame. Please show a picture and it might help us give you better feedback too. :grin:

mco
2005-07-25, 12:51am
Thanks - that must be what I'm doing wrong - I'm keeping my base bead way too hot when I'm encasing - my patterns melt and deform before I even have all the clear on the bead. I'll have to practice some more.

Curly Irish Girl
2005-07-25, 2:19pm
If you drag the clear over the decorated surface rather than letting it flow onto the surface you will smear & distort. It's that old P thing again = practice, practice, practice! Keep after it, you'll get it!