Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Boro Sampler / Starter for Beadmaking?

GlassGalore
2011-10-25, 10:23am
Do any vendors have a good kit / price for someone wanting to dabble in boro beadmaking? :hide: Some easy-strike color rods, frits, and clear is what I'm thinking that equates to.

Or, where's the best place to buy in small quantities to assemble my own 'sampler'? 8-[

TIA!

BellaBean
2011-10-25, 11:28am
Most of the vendors will sell boro by the rod. Some of my favorite pretties are...
- NS Double Amber Purple (Get it super hot to burn of the haze and then kiln strike at 1050 for about 20 minutes. Gives purples and pinks. Put it over white for hot pink.).
- NS English Ivy (After making your bead, stick it in a reducing flame for a few seconds. Encase if you want. It gives a nice green with a bright turquoise haze.)
- NS Blue Moon (a slight reduction flame adds waves of lighter blue and cream and will even give a metallic sheen. Don't encase! It goes green.)
- Tag Mai Tai (or double Mai Tai) - (Kiln strike for purples, blues, and pinks)
- NS Loki's Lipstick (Work hot to burn off haze. Then put in a reducing flame for a few seconds. Kiln strike. Gives nice burgandy color with bright pink and blue haze. Encases well too!)

Another option is to buy some shorts from a vendor. It's a nice way to try out a bunch and see what you like.

Clear is cheap. Unlike 104, it's always clear and scum free.

PS. Secret Santa will be starting soon. I bet if you put some boro on your wish list, you just might get some. :)

GlassGalore
2011-10-25, 12:21pm
Thanks for the tips, Cori. I've never shopped for boro before, so it's a whole new realm!

Cinnamon
2011-10-25, 5:20pm
pming you about some Boro I have.
Neomi

MagpieGlass
2011-10-26, 6:48am
Lisa ... Sunray (Phyllis at Trev's Glass) used to have a sampler that went directly with Brent Graber's first CD (the colors he taught in the video).

I'm sure she could hook you up with a care package of all the best.

GlassGalore
2011-10-26, 9:54am
Thanks for the tip, Laura.

PM'd you, Neomi.

Elizabeth Beads
2011-10-28, 6:50am
If you contact Ron Bearer, he will make you up a boro starter kit (at least he made one for me and one day I will actually take it out of the shrink wrap).

:)

LarryC
2011-10-28, 7:56am
Thanks for the tips, Cori. I've never shopped for boro before, so it's a whole new realm!

Its just like soft glass but 33 COE.....Gotta learn someday.

PennyLane
2011-11-07, 9:29am
bump bump I'm listening.

mikefrantz
2011-11-07, 9:41am
Do any vendors have a good kit / price for someone wanting to dabble in boro beadmaking? :hide: Some easy-strike color rods, frits, and clear is what I'm thinking that equates to.

Or, where's the best place to buy in small quantities to assemble my own 'sampler'? 8-[

TIA!

That is a very good item, what would you put into it?

Some rods of various diameter glass rods, a few smaller size tubes, some frit and some color rods made of easy to use colors.

And the length of the boro clear should be short enough to fit into a smaller and less expensive box to ship.

If anyone has any ideas, please give them to me and I will see what I can put together.

Mike Frantz

GlassGalore
2011-11-07, 9:47am
See, I would have no idea what to do with tubing for beadmaking, so that would be a no-go in my idea of a starter kit.
A variety of easy use / easy strike colors from various makers and some different diameter clears cut down, as you said, for shipping economy. Add in some frits in small enough amounts to not send the cost of the kit through the roof and you've got a winner! IMO :)

MagpieGlass
2011-11-10, 2:09pm
For a beadmakers starter kit: For more specific items (coming from someone that already made the jump).

Some clears in various diameters. Some black, some white (not china white it doesn't like to be put next to the mandrel) for nice bases to build on. I also love me some caramel as a base but that may just be me.

Some easy to work colors (blue moon, silver creek, loki's lipstick, spring luster being four of the big silvers that I find easy to work with). Ideally something in each color pallete

Frits: definitely clear in large size, most likely black and Silver Strike 5 being included in the basics

I always request my clears be cut down. I'd even be okay if my 20" rods came split to 10". They punty back together easily enough and with doing implosions I'm just pulling stringer so I don't need the whole 20" be manipulated around at once.

My starter kit for myself was some clear, Momka's 5" solid colors sampler pack and some clear frit. Then I built out from there.

PennyLane
2011-11-11, 6:59am
Oh Laura.....THANK YOU! Some really great tips in your post, so giving of you.

GlassGalore
2011-11-11, 9:39am
Yes, Laura, thank you for your input! Question... what does one do with the large clear frit? (What is the effect it has?)

carolinainmymind
2011-11-11, 12:09pm
I called Mountain Glass Arts, told them what I wanted, and how much I wanted to spend, and they (Chris?) picked out some good stuff for me. Their customer service is great!

MagpieGlass
2011-11-13, 10:27am
Yes, Laura, thank you for your input! Question... what does one do with the large clear frit? (What is the effect it has?)

You are all very welcome for the input. Since Mike was looking for specifics ... I figured I could give him some.

On the clear, hee hee. Sounds pretty boring right? Take Blue Moon (or really any silver rich color)... heat it good, roll it in frit ... melt it in and then let it cool slightly. Then strike or hit with a light redux flame and watch the fun.

Some of the neatest boro beads I have seen are just the silver color with some clear swirled in. or several silver colors with clear swirled in.

I'll see if I can scare up some photos. LEs boro room ... colors/combinations thread started by gingko glass is a great starting point for some color purchase ideas if you know what you are looking for (here is the link: To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.).

Aka hot pink comes from NS extra light yellow over several choices of red glass.

Rare_Ale
2011-11-13, 11:44am
Mike did you come up with a boro starter kit? Just wondering as I couldn't find it on your site.

sunray
2011-11-13, 7:46pm
I have put together some starter kits, adding clear rods to NS and Momka Shorts
and a color chart so you can figure out the colors.. Its a good way to practice using Boro
Let me know if I can help you..
Phyllis
Just the shopkeeper at Trev's Glass

tiptrinket
2011-11-16, 10:12am
How is this starter kit listed on the website?
Tippy