Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Middle of Mandrel release coating

SGA
2011-11-02, 6:47am
I remember seeing somewhere an option to coat the middle with release. I think it was a frit tray with a little release and the mandrel was rolled in it? It looked like a rod holder for a single rod so I'm assuming that was a frit tray.

I don't remember where I saw it or what thread (if it was on LE) so I can't search for it.

I have an idea of how it was done but before I screw up and have to redip a whole lot of mandrels, I wanted to ask. My MO is to dip everything I own, and it lives in a release coated mess until I'm out. Kind of like my laundry. ;)

So what is your favorite method to cover the middle of a mandrel in release?

Sheila D.
2011-11-02, 6:50am
I put the release in the lid or small shallow container and roll the mandrel in it, voila!

chrisdd
2011-11-02, 7:19am
It depends on what I plan on making. For long beads I'll turn a salad plate upside down and use the dip on the bottom to hold the release. For short beads I'll use a mug.

Doing it this way will leave the release unevenly coated on the mandrel. If the release is fairly thick, hold the mandrel perpendicular to the counter and gently tap it a few times to get the release even on the mandrel. If the release is thin you can twirl the mandrel (like making a bead) and that will even it out.

Lisi
2011-11-02, 7:49am
For a much more even and non-lumpy coating, the jar dip method is best. A helluva lot easier too. It's in this thread:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152020&highlight=middle+mandrel

Diane Woodall
2011-11-02, 8:12am
Hi Shardi, I coat my mandrels in the middle too, and there is a simple way to do it. Fill a small container with bead release (like a Crystal Light drink mix container). Let it mound slightly. Lay your mandrel into it and rotate as you lift out. Tap gently on the table and it will smooth it out. Done!

I use thinner bead release and that helps a lot. Best Bead Release is great for middle dipping.

If you want to read an article about it, check out my free July 2011 issue of my magazine. It goes into more detail. Just click on my signature and you can get the free issue.

Good luck! Dipping in the middle doesn't have to be difficult or messy.

poppymallow
2011-11-02, 9:07am
I tried a Beadalon Bead Scoop for dipping MOM. It can hold 1-2 teaspoons of bead release. It works like the small Crystal Light drink mix container, except that you can cover more of the mandrel.

I find that I need to thin my bead release in order get an even coating. I also hold the rod vertically and tap to get the coating smooth and thin. I wipe away the extra blob of release that collects at the bottom while tapping.

Here it is on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Beadalon-Bead-Scoop-6-1-2-Inch/dp/B000XAOO86/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1320248383&sr=8-3).

I believe I saw this tip in Soda Lime Times.

pittypat
2011-11-02, 9:53am
Hey Poppy. I was just getting ready to say the same thing!! I think the picture shows Diane dipping from the bead scoop..great minds.....

Diane Woodall
2011-11-02, 10:45am
That method works so well for when you are running low on bead release, and you can really coat a lot of the mandrel. So simple!

My friend Ann DeHoff told me about that idea and it's just one of those "ah ha" things!

SerendipityArtGlass
2011-11-02, 11:07am
Coating in the middle of the mandrel makes things so much easier to me. I must be really right hand dominant. IMHO, when you can flip the bead it's easier to get both sides of the bead the same plus I find it helps with wobbly twirl..I can use both hands when the bead is in the middle.

SGA
2011-11-02, 12:38pm
YES YES YES! That's where I saw it at. I've seen so much great information from Soda Lime Times, it should have been the first place I checked. The Beadalon bead scoop is indeed what I remember.

So I have another rather technical middle bead release question. Are there any issues with the thinned release breaking if you use a press or mold?

Diane Woodall
2011-11-02, 2:01pm
Thanks Shardi. I feel like a one woman campaign to convert the world to MOM. I just can't imagine making beads any other way. :)

About breaking release: I've found that it isn't as much a matter of how thin it is as to what kind I use. I like Alice's but it breaks a lot more easily than Best Bead Release. Also, if I heat my mandrel up until it glows, the release sticks better during pressing. Of course, if it comes off the mandrel but is still stuck where the bead is, you're still OK.

Hope this helps.

gemsinbloom
2011-11-02, 2:16pm
I too wish to convert the world to MOM hehe.

Funny, I had no success with Best Bead Release and no real support when I tried to contact them either.

Ravenesque
2011-11-02, 2:29pm
I have to try this, my noodle never can understand doing it...for myself i mean.

Diane Woodall
2011-11-02, 2:32pm
That's too bad. I think a lot of it has to do with location. What works here in hot Houston, TX just doesn't work as well some place else. I'd be a millionaire if I could figure it all out and come up with a formula for what bead release is best for each locale. :)