Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : If you could only do one show this year....

Just K
2011-11-17, 10:52am
Hi all,

It has been FOREVER since I posted, but that's a whole 'nother story.

I'm living in Hawaii now, so travel for shows has gotten, shall we say, a little more complicated than throwing my stuff in the car or onto a Southwest flight. But I am missing the bead scene enormously and want to come to the mainland for at least one real, awesome Bead Show next year. Trying to choose is hard! I have a friend who wants to share a booth; she suggested Glasscraft, which I have never been to. One benefit of Vegas (ugh) is that for some reason, that is the choice holiday destination for people who live here, so there are likely to be good airfares, as opposed to, say, Milwaukee.

So I'm asking y'all, if you could only do one show this year, what would it be and why?

Thanks for your input!

Kim Van Antwerp

zen-mom
2011-11-17, 12:45pm
The Gathering is being held in Seattle in 2012... That would be my choice... or Bead & Button... I've never been. I've been to The Gathering once when it was in California and it was awesome.

You know that there are a couple of bead shows in Hawaii, right? In Honolulu at the Ward Warehouse in March and September and then there is another one at the Blaisedale (sp?) in January.

nevadaglass
2011-11-17, 1:42pm
I have gone to Glasscrafts bead expo every year in Las Vegas for the past 5 years except for 2 years ago. I love this show - lots of vendors that I normally buy from throughout the year usually set up booths there and I get to meet most of the big names in glass since many of them either teach or participate in some fashion in that show.

I also typically try to take classes at this show. There is always a huge selection to pick from. I love hitting the exhibition floor on saturdays and getting those "show room specials".
This year I am not going home til Sunday so for the first time , I might actually make the dinner!

All in all - I love this show. I only missed one show in last 5 years and that was 2 years ago because every class I wanted to take was sold out. I just couldnt bring myself to pay for a hotel and gas just for a discount from vendors on the exhibition floor

Just K
2011-11-18, 2:01pm
Thanks, yes, I was at the Softflex (Ward Warehouse) show in March and will likely go back this year. B and B is great, I have been many times, but it is VERY expensive! Still, my friend hasn't been, and if we could wrangle a booth, it would be a blast!
Thinking also of BABE, in Oakland.

zen-mom
2011-11-18, 2:48pm
Thanks, yes, I was at the Softflex (Ward Warehouse) show in March and will likely go back this year. B and B is great, I have been many times, but it is VERY expensive! Still, my friend hasn't been, and if we could wrangle a booth, it would be a blast!
Thinking also of BABE, in Oakland.

You were? I was there too! I have the space in the corner by the window just inside the door over near where the Bead Gallery and Calvin Orr are at. My DH and I will be there again... I will come and find you =)

SuzyQ
2011-11-21, 7:34am
The Whole Bead Show is doing one in Hawaii this January. They are great promoters. Although I don't know where you are in Hawaii. It might be quite a swim :D

Eileen
2011-11-21, 9:54am
Is there a list anywhere of shows and locations, dates, links for costs, etc.?

Moth
2011-11-21, 9:00pm
I've never been to a bead or glass show of any kind in my whole life, but if I were to go to one it would be the Glasscraft Bead Expo dealio.

I would love to go.

zen-mom
2011-11-21, 9:10pm
Is there a list anywhere of shows and locations, dates, links for costs, etc.?

Ha ha, noooo. You have to hunt each one down and check the websites... Not too hard if you know the names of the shows. It really would be kinda cool if they were all in one place.

JennW
2011-11-22, 1:08pm
Hi Kim,

Here is a list of some of the shows I've participated in (both with Soft Flex and with Crystal Myths):

The Best Bead Show (Feb-Tucson) www.bestbeadshow.com
- There are other shows in Tucson, but I really think the buyers looking for lampwork go to Best Bead (when we ran the show we used to get criticized for having too much lampwork - which was a legitimate beef - but it has balanced out into an overall good bead show...with tons of wonderful glass!)

Bead Fest-Santa Fe www.beadfest.com
- This show returned to Santa Fe 3 years ago. First year it was back was GREAT for those of us at the convention center location, but those at the Hilton seemed to not do well in general. The 2nd year sales/traffic dropped off - but there was also super bad weather (blizzards, snow with lightning). Last year it seemed to rebound, but they were still moving the secondary location around (went from Hilton, to La Fonda, to Hilton). This year they have everyone selling at the convention center - which is what I think should have been done from the get go. Anticipating a good show.

Glass Craft & Bead Expo - Vegas www.glasscraftexpo.com
- Good show, overall sales have stayed steady - even with the economy. As a glassworker - kind of like being a kid in a candy store. They have the bead bazaar area - where most of the one-of-a-kind beadmakers are located, and then all the suppliers, and larger distributors fanned out from the bead bazaar. Also - chance to get in on some great classes. And like you said, cheap overhead with low fares and low hotel rates.

Rocky Mountain Bead Bazaar - Denver www.rockybeads.org
- Good show, held at the Merchandise Mart (which has NO drayage...and is absolutely WONDERFUL for folks who need to ship directly to the site - also, you order as many tables, etc as you need, and they are in your booth - no extra charge). The society and its volunteer really have put a lot of work into this show. They also have a dinner/get together for all the vendors one of the nights. Very good traffic at this show.

Northern California Bead Bazaar - Oakland (same venue as the BABE show)
www.beadsocietyofnorcal.org
- Super busy 1-day show put on in the same location at the BABE show that is every November. It is a LONG day, as set-up, show and tear down are all the same day. But good, quick sales.

Bead & Button - Milwaukee www.beadandbuttonshow.com
- The biggest bead show all under one roof (regardless of some of the advertised numbers I've seen for some of the Tucson bead shows...no bead show in Tucson has 500 individual vendors). Traffic did seem to be down last year, but still a strong show given the economy. Again, another great show for classes as well.

The Gathering - Seattle www.isgb.org
- The Gathering this year is going to be in Seattle. The Gathering is more of a conference, with an amazing bead bazaar thrown in the middle, along with a lot of commercial/technical vendors who are set up for the entire length of the conference.

Bead Fest - Philadelphia www.beadfest.com
- Probably the strongest bead show on the East Coast. Been around 10+ years. They did just move, but I was surprised at how much traffic there was given them switching locations. They definitely got the word out. They normally have a great line up of classes, but I did hear that they dropped having any lampworking classes at the last minute. Not sure if this will continue, or they will bring them back.

Bead Renaissance - Denver www.beadshow.com
- This show moved to the new location at the Merchandise Mart this past year. They had very good traffic, especially for a new location. Helps that there are another 3 shows going on at the same venue.

BABE - Oakland www.beadextravaganza.com
- just got back from this show last week. Traffic seemed down, but there was also more commotion than usual in Oakland with the Occupy stuff going on. This is a strong, consistent show - held in the same location at the Norcal 1-day show.

Hope that helps Kim. I just listed shows that I have experience with, and have the contact info on to reach them. I've also heard good things about these shows:

Houston Bead Society
Portland Bead Society
San Diego Bead Society

Was thinking these shows might be the ones for you to check out if you were flying from HI.

Hope to see you at the Spring Glass Art & Bead Festival (http://www.softflexcompany.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=FestivalHI_Main.html) in March!

Jenny

Lara
2011-11-22, 8:07pm
Jenny, what a great list, thanks so much for taking the time to type that all out.