Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : I am learning to make beads AND I receive BOC

belliott18
2012-01-14, 8:33pm
Hello!

My name is Beth and I am very new to lampworking. I learned about two months ago while undergoing radiation in Florida and, long story short, I now make beads for the Legacy Beads program which is the same as Beads of Courage but is only at St. Jude.

This is a picture of me with my Beads of Courage. I never got to pick out of the acts of courage beads but I did get to admire them. Those beads mean so much to lots of kids!

Here is a picture of me with my Legacy Beads. They are much more uniform and diverse in that they are awarded for a wider array of medical happenings.

I make the end of treatment proton radiation beads for the kids undergoing proton radiation in Florida as well as the ones at St. Jude. (Which is only possible because of the AMAZING Debra Clutter! She has been so very kind, is helping me learn the ways of lampworking, and allows me to make my sad, simple, boring yet meaningful beads in her studio. Thanks Debra- someday I'll be as good as you.)

You can check out my blog at: bethfightsback.com to read more about the proton beads.

All of your bright beads are making sick kids' days brighter!
(It's true... I've seen it!)
Thank you!

msy439
2012-01-14, 8:46pm
Welcome Beth,I bet your beads are far from boring.So there is another program out there that uses beads for kids.Maybe you could tell us a little more about this.

ginko
2012-01-14, 8:49pm
You warmed my heart.

beadmama
2012-01-14, 8:56pm
Hi Beth:waving:

Welcome to LE. How exciting to be making beads! I hope you post some pictures of them. We would love to see them.

Some my first beads were pretty wonky. Wait... Some still are,..lol... I still have a lot to learn in lampworking.

Becky

DiamondLilGlass
2012-01-14, 8:57pm
Hi Beth! Thanks for sharing :) isn't glass fun! Wishing you a swift recovery!

Kalera
2012-01-15, 12:27am
Hi Beth! Welcome to LE and lampworking... it's AWESOME that you're using your new skills in glasswork for BOC!!! And thanks for sharing pictures... you have a radiant smile that is a joy to behold!

Glowbead
2012-01-15, 4:47am
Welcome Beth! Thanks for sharing your experience. It inspires me to make more BOC beads. I bet your skills will improve quickly. That happens, once you get the lampworking bug.

Robinj
2012-01-15, 8:19am
Welcome Beth! We'd LOVE to see the beads you make!

RSimmons
2012-01-15, 8:24am
Welcome Beth! It's great that you have learned to make beads yourself. You bring such experience to the programs!
Thanks for posting!
Robert

clan tabby
2012-01-15, 9:05am
Hi Beth. Thank you for introducing yourself & telling a bit of your story. It's very exciting that you have joined us in our collective lampwork delirium - welcome!

Lorraine Chandler
2012-01-15, 9:19am
My goodness Beth. Your beautiful smile just lights up the screen and my heart! You are a survivor and a warrior! Welcome to the wonderful world of lampworking and kudos to you for also being a giver, giving back and fighting back...

We need more people like you on this forum and in the world.:love:O:)

(((hugs)))
Lorraine

Diane Woodall
2012-01-15, 9:39am
Hi Beth, welcome to the wonderful world of beadmaking. I used to think that taking rod of glass and turning them into balls of glass wasn't very meaningful as art goes, but then I discovered BOC. Those little pieces of glass have a healing power we can't explain.

I'm sure your beads aren't boring at all. With a smile like yours it is easy to see that you have too bright a spirit to make boring beads. :love: If only the kids who get your beads could know that you can truly relate to them in a way few of us can.

Stay strong girlfriend! Keep melting glass. And keep us updated on your progress.

CarolS
2012-01-16, 12:02pm
Hi Beth! I'm so excited for you as a new beadmaker!

I hope you post pictures of your work here and in the LE Gallery and keep us updated on your progress!

Hugs and Welcome!:)

dclutter64
2012-01-16, 6:46pm
Beth you are so sweet! Beth is an amazing person and a joy to work with. She is making glow in the dark proton beads which are cool. She is coming along nicely!

Eileen
2012-01-16, 8:01pm
Welcome Beth! I wanted to say thank you for telling us how important the beads are from both sides, and how neat I think it is that you are making them now too! Hugs and good wishes for you,
Eileen

Lara
2012-01-18, 9:51am
Welcome Beth. Thanks for sharing your story. Watch out, bead making is super addictive. :-)

tikiterri
2012-01-20, 3:21pm
A BIG welcome to you Beth!!!

angelique_redhead
2012-01-20, 10:45pm
Welcome to LE, Beth. We're very glad to have you here. You're lovely inside and out. *HUGS* Be sure to put your address in the RAOGK. I noticed you're not in there. :love: Angelique

Deborah
2012-01-20, 11:11pm
Welcome, Beth! How wonderful that you're making beads! Good for you.

belliott18
2012-01-21, 1:28pm
Wow! Thanks for all the kind words, everybody. I am absolutely loving making beads and learning the tips and tricks.

I am sending 20 proton beads today so they will have enough beads to give to the kids that will be finishing up proton radiation in the next few weeks. It sounds like nothing but everybody starts small, right?

angelique_redhead, I added my information for the RAOGK. What exactly is that?

I am going back to St. Jude this week for my 6 week checkup scans. Maybe there's good news in my future!

angelique_redhead
2012-01-22, 6:03am
RAOGK is Random Act Of Glass Kindness. Those of us who have been in glass working for a bit try to share some of what we've gotten from others here in the past. For example glass, twisties, frit, beads, tutorials... If we have an address or email address that's been mudged it makes it easier. For example, mine mudged is angelique_redhead at yahoo dot com

20 beads is a fair number of beads. When our lampwork group has a BOC beadmaking night we get somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 beads so that's not shabby at all! Good luck with your St. Jude's trip. *HUGS* :love: Angelique

Wow! Thanks for all the kind words, everybody. I am absolutely loving making beads and learning the tips and tricks.

I am sending 20 proton beads today so they will have enough beads to give to the kids that will be finishing up proton radiation in the next few weeks. It sounds like nothing but everybody starts small, right?

angelique_redhead, I added my information for the RAOGK. What exactly is that?

I am going back to St. Jude this week for my 6 week checkup scans. Maybe there's good news in my future!

jaybee766
2012-01-22, 6:10am
Welcome Beth! Thanks for sharing your fantastic story. So glad you've joined the LE fun! :-)

dla
2012-01-22, 2:41pm
Welcome to LE and the world of beadmaking Beth ! It is a wonderful addiction ! :)
Thanks for posting about the St. Jude program. Something I had never known about before.
And thanks for posting those pictures ! What a joy to see your smiling face with all your beadies.
Please come back and let us know how your check-up went.:love: