Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : What about beads with words?

CheriB
2012-03-03, 2:36am
Hi,

I searched for an answer, but could not find one. So, is it okay to use words on the BOC beads? I have done just a few so far, like "Hi", "Hello", "Smile", "UR GR8!", and "Ouch!".

Would more beads like that be a good idea or not?

If so, what would be suitable/popular? There may be medical acronyms or inside jokes that would be fun, but I just don't know them. I thought about doing names too - but not really long ones!

If anyone could suggest names, phrases, etc. that are (hopefully) no longer than 7 letters long, I would have fun practicing my stringer work. I just bought metal stamps too, so could maybe use those. Any hints or directions are appreciated. I am willing to take special requests also from the BOC administrators, like beads in certain colors with specific names.

Cheryl

RSimmons
2012-03-03, 9:27am
Words of encouragement are always a good idea. Names get more complicated, but encouraging words are always welcome. Greart stringer practice, too!

Robert

CheriB
2012-03-09, 6:06pm
BuyBeads,
After a torching session making nothing but beads with words on them, I kinda agree with you! It was hard picking words that I thought were appropriate, but it was fun in the end. I packed them all up and am going to the post office this afternoon.
Cheryl

Eileen
2012-03-09, 7:22pm
I wonder what the chances a bead with just a letter would get to the right child that would see meaning in that particular letter.
I'd be inclined to just decorate with other things if the words were not working (and I cannot imagine myself writing on beads, just don't have the stringer control!)

CheriB
2012-03-09, 7:29pm
How weird. When I got back from the post office, BuyBeads' comment was gone. Now my comment to her/him doesn't make sense to anyone else. Oh well. Robert, my beads are on their way -- 212 total (not all words!). The tracking number is 03100480000265356351. Please let me know if any style is preferred over the others, and I will happily make more.
Cheryl

CheriB
2012-03-09, 7:49pm
Hi Eileen,
So you saw the comment too before it disappeared! Here are some photos of the word ones I made. If you can think of others that would be appropriate, please let me know. I haven't had experience with children with cancer, and don't know if something is silly, dumb, or rude to them. From looking at sites for inspiration, it seems a lot of kids develop a dark sense of humor. No surprise there, I guess, but it's sad. In case you can't see the words, they are: "hugs XXOO", "Brave", "Bravo!", "Luv", "Love", "groovy", "Port", "Faith", "Pray", "You Rock!", "Way to Go", "GR8 JOB!", and "KOKO" (keep on keeping on).

Eileen
2012-03-09, 8:05pm
Amazing!

How about:

Hope
Win

gosh, it's hard coming up with more, you have such good ones though!

RSimmons
2012-03-10, 9:11am
The Word Beads look great. Hope and Win would be wonderful additions to the collection.
Thanks for the creative approach!
Robert

alb6094
2012-03-10, 10:45am
Cheri, those are awesome and what a fantastic idea! I'm going to see if I can write well enough to make mine legible,lol, I've never tried that. :love:

ETA: What about 'dream' and 'play'?

Sadie Mae
2012-03-10, 12:46pm
wow--these make me want to try them too--but the stringer control, er, ummm,...yeah, PPP!

CheriB
2012-03-10, 9:26pm
Those word suggestions are great, and I will make more for sure. For me, the best stringer I've found for writing is an opaque glass encased in clear and pulled thin, but not hair thin. The clear keeps the color from spreading, and the inner core won't go transparent if it's a dense opaque. You can see on the LUV beads that the pink isn't dark enough to be easily read. Thanks for your comments!

flamingobeth
2012-03-10, 9:52pm
Love it! Teens are so into words these days. I think they're are going to love these!