Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : On a torch search

Phoenix
2006-05-16, 1:27pm
I'll be in the market for a new torch in the next couple months and I'm trying to tie down which one I want so i can start watching the garage sale and choosing the accessories I need. I know torches are a personal choice and every one has advocates- but i'm hoping if I toss out there what I do that some of you may have good or bad to add about some you have used in these ways

-I love hollows and vessels - small and large
-my standard bead is at least 25mm
-I do like a point for florals- but something capapble of keeping a larger bead or vessel warm is more important
-I use mainly 104 right now but need something for the 90 and 96 that i don't like to use as much on the hothead
-I like extras- reactions, frits, silver, copper, mica...
-i will be using a concentrator- so one that i could use with a less expensive concentrator is a plus
-I am not picky about natural gas or propane, but I would prefer ng if it will run on household pressure for ease of use.
-I'd love to be able to work boro- but that isn't my top concern since I don't own any yet and probably don't need another glass stash (who am I kidding)

Thanks!

Palestrina
2006-06-08, 8:49pm
Mini CC! Mini CC! Mini CC! It absolutely does everything you mentioned above and MORE! It's only about $170 new, plus, there are more of those for sale here lately as people continue to buy the more expensive ones. A Nortel minor is in the same league as the Mini CC, basically, but doesn't have the radiant heat you're looking for. Definately the Mini CC.

Rebekah
2006-06-08, 8:54pm
I think the MiniCC is on sale at www.glasscolor.com for $135.

Palestrina
2006-06-08, 8:57pm
Well, there ya go!

Rebekah
2006-06-08, 8:58pm
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/default.aspx?cID=113&pID=1415

Hah! Found it.

Now, which one is the torch that looks kind of like a mini-Cuda?

Palestrina
2006-06-08, 9:04pm
Which one are you talking about? The Pirahna?

Phoenix
2006-06-08, 9:11pm
Thanks for bumping this one up guys- looks like I need to go shopping!

Rebekah
2006-06-08, 9:12pm
Yup, the Pirhana.

This might also help:
http://arrowsprings.com/html/torch_comparisons.html

Palestrina
2006-06-08, 9:13pm
Man, Bek! You've just got all the links, don't cha!

Palestrina
2006-06-08, 9:15pm
Jessica, you really should hold off for a week or so and see what come up in the garage. There are a lot of pieces... a lot of money, and then you still have to get gas. You can't use MAPP on anything but the HH, as far as I know, and you definately can't use it on the Mini cc.

Rebekah
2006-06-08, 9:17pm
I'm good for nothing if not shopping. :D