Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Armed and Dangerous - Newbie on a Lynx

SilverSage
2006-05-16, 6:06pm
So exciting....graduated from my hot head...got my gently used Lynx set up today and she is just dreamy. Got everything set up like I was supposed to (I think). Propane 5psi, Oxy 12-15psi at 8lpm.
It melts glass beautifully and I almost dripped two beads all over the place. So it runs great. But how do I really know I've done it right? Montana is not generally flooded with lampworkers so I can't just call someone up and have them come over....
Flame looks pretty....candles about 3/8 inch. Flame could be called soft and gentle compared to the hot head I've been using. If I blow on the flame it wavers...hot head sure wouldn't do that...
Guess I would like some reassurance of some sort. The lynx was so quiet by comparison it was spooky. It all set up so easy it just feels like I must have done something wrong. There's so much I don't know, problem is usually I don't know I don't know it until something happens :lol: (make sense of that one, huh).
Anybody up for doling out comments, advice, or support?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Julie

kbinkster
2006-05-16, 8:12pm
Candles at 3/8" is good. :) If the tips have little or no yellow tips, you have a neutral flame.

If you add a little propane, or take off a little oxygen, you can get some yellow tips and have yourself a nice reduction flame.

If you add more oxygen and have no tips to the candles at all, and the torch hisses a little, you have yourself a nice oxidizing flame.

If you use the red and blue valves only, you can get a needle flame.

Those are some of the basics. I hope that helps some.