Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : vintage eye wear (cobalt blue lenses) ???

nwmud
2012-07-27, 8:24am
I am just starting, have not even fire the hot head yet. I have everything I need, except I am not sure about the glasses....
I have a pair of safety glasses my cousin had from the 60's or 70's. They look like many other safety glasses from that time with a wire mess side for protection. these however have flip down half lenses in what looks like a cobalt blue color. These completely block red light. I can take a red lazer light and not see it though these lenses.
These look very retro and cool, but will they protect my eyes?

Looking forward to this next adventure in glass.

Alaska
2012-07-27, 12:48pm
Glasses made for lazer use is at the wrong wavelength to be effective for sodium. This can be checked by viewing a sodium vapor street light. The type that looks orange. These are common but being replaced with LED lights which will not be filtered out with diddy glasses.

What you need to filter out the sodium flair is diddy glasses or a diddy shield. Both are very effective at removing the flair so that you can see what you are working on.

This is more to do with seeing your hot glass without the yellow flair then eye safety. For safety, depending on soft glass or boro, one should use either a welding shade 3 or 5 (darker) depending on needs.

nwmud
2012-07-27, 1:24pm
when these glasses were made - I doubt anyone had access to lazers.
thank for the help - I just dont want to buy diddy glasses yet if this is not a hobby I wish to pursue.

Kalera
2012-07-27, 2:02pm
If you're starting with a Hot Head, you don't need didymium glasses to protect your eye health, because the Hot Head doesn't run so hot that the IR from it can damage your vision. You do need eye protection to protect your eyes from flying shards, and Didys make it a lot easier to see what you're doing in the flame, but if you can see well enough to use the cobalt lenses, they're fine to start with.

nwmud
2012-07-27, 6:09pm
I decided to add some pictures of these glasses.

Role
2012-07-27, 7:14pm
Very similar to Uvex furnace/Lab glasses.

The cobalt should be approximately shade 6, which equals pretty darn dark.

They will not reduce sodium flare, they block IR.

As Kalera said, Didymium glasses are not necessary for the HH so those are fine
if you can see well enough with them.

nwmud
2012-07-27, 7:35pm
thanks everyone - I appreciate the input. Now off to set up the garage and make some stuff....

gbratton
2012-07-28, 8:16am
The 60's are back. LOL

istandalone24/7
2012-07-31, 4:35am
man i was hoping these were like Duane Wayne's glasses from the Fresh Prince.

nwmud
2012-07-31, 4:39am
well they sort of but mine are only half covers. they used to be connected together - but the bar broke off years ago. I have always liked these glass when welding. Not sure how well they will work with glass. I will find out one of these days soon.

nwmud
2012-08-04, 12:47am
well - these work great for welding. but do not work at all for lamp work.

live and learn, thanks every one

nwmud
2012-08-07, 7:27pm
I have found didymium glasses locally for $35.99 - so I will get some soon.
they are basic - but will work. :grin: