Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Different Vine Stringer Technique

Lynn Larson
2006-05-25, 6:09am
I had a request on how I make vine stringers. The tutorial by FiredDesigns is absolutly wonderful! I do make mine a little bit different, so I will show my style too.

What you need!
Opaque White
Transparent Green
Intense Black

Step 1
I start by pulling a thin stringer of intense black. You do want it pretty thin, since intense black will web if it is too thick.

Step 2
Begin heating both the white and trans green in the flame. You want the green molten, but just flash the white. The white only needs to be warm enough not to shatter when you apply the green. Begin applying stripes of green around the end of the white.

Step 3
Once you have the white encased in green, turn your torch way down and apply stripes with the intense black stringer. They don't have to be straight and smooth...but it does help. Don't worry if they are lumpy, for once you pull it, you can't tell.

Step 4
Once you have the black stripes, use your green rod for a punty. Make sure to hit all of the black stripes or they will not pull right. Now heat the entire blob slowly, melting the stripes in and making sure there are no air bubbles

Step 5
Now that you have a molten blob of glass, pull it out of the flame. Twirl it slowly so it won't droop. Let it cool a bit. Say "look at all the pretty colors." Now begin to pull slowly. The slower you pull, the thicker the stringer. Remember heat rises, so if you get a really thick spot, raise that end, pulling continually. You don't need to twist, just a straight pull!

Ta-Da!
Vine stringer! I like to leave the ends with the glass I used, so if i like the combo, I can figure out what it was. I usually burn off one end and cut it in the middle so I have 2 nice ends to start with :D

I would love to know if it works for you!!

Rebekah
2006-05-25, 6:13am
Great tutorial Lynn! Thanks so much!

Bek

Lynn Larson
2006-05-25, 6:14am
You are so welcome!!

Rebekah
2006-05-25, 6:24am
Little tip. If you DO twist it, you can get some really cool reactions. Especially if you use pea green instead of the white and transparent green. I LOVE vine cane!

Lynn Larson
2006-05-25, 6:39am
Little tip. If you DO twist it, you can get some really cool reactions. Especially if you use pea green instead of the white and transparent green. I LOVE vine cane!
Oh yeah! And i bet pea green with med trans aqua would be really cool too! I just used white and green for this one, but any colors would rock! A light colored opaque and darker transparent make really neat colors :D

Nicker
2006-05-25, 8:37am
Lynn cool tutorial! I am going to give it a go whenever I can torch again!

ChaseDesigns
2006-05-25, 8:38am
Great tutorial Lynn!

DreamMuse
2006-05-25, 8:47am
Very cool!! I cant' wait to try it out! thanks!`

Julz
2006-05-25, 9:16am
Nice Lynn! thank you!

Barrie
2006-05-25, 6:14pm
Great tutorial Lynn! Nice nails too!

Lynn Larson
2006-05-25, 6:18pm
Great tutorial Lynn! Nice nails too!
*snort* Thank you dear!!

I really appreciate all of the feedback!!

Rebekah
2006-05-25, 7:28pm
I'm such a dork. I went back up to look at your nails. They ARE nice!

AZ Joolz
2006-05-25, 7:44pm
Nails were the first thing I noticed! *pulls own stubby nails back out of the light*

Oh...good tutorial!

Karen Hardy
2006-05-25, 7:59pm
Ahah! I spot a fraud!
How can you have such nice nails and call yourself a lampworker!!! :---)
Within a week of installing the torch, I had burnt the tips off my nails and
burned one of them almost clear off. SHES USING A HAND MODEL :shock:
hee, hee, hee.

Kidding. I just rated your tut 5 stars. Good going girlfriend!

artwhim
2006-05-25, 8:19pm
Bravo! Oh, had to go back up to see the nails. I definately know I wasn't your hand model.
Kathy

Karen Hardy
2006-05-25, 8:33pm
Oh! You silly girl! I totally see the sample packs of my frit in the background. Did you try them out yet? Do ya like them??? Don't take more than 1 of each!!! I should have put enough in there for the rest of the boro box people. :-D

x_phoenician
2006-05-25, 10:16pm
Nice tutorial Lynn! Thank you for that one. Hey what kind of torch do you have?

Lynn Larson
2006-05-26, 5:05am
Thanks for the compliments on my nails :lol: I grow them extra long so when i stick them in the torch i have some left! Do you know they sparkle when you burn them :shock:

Tracy, that is Mel, my baby Piranha. He's hot hot hot!

Retta
2006-05-26, 2:48pm
LOL, I noitced her pretty nails right off too... Dang those are cute, I have a touch of OCD and I pick at my cuticles, I have to cut my nails short too so I don't mess with them 8-[

Btw- great tutorial :D

debkauz
2006-05-26, 8:06pm
I've always played the piano so I just got used to short nails. I can't imagine having them that long! I'd be setting them on fire all the time!

Oh, thanks for the tut, too! lOL

collectiblesbyrose
2006-05-31, 6:35am
Thanks!!!

bboran
2006-05-31, 8:42am
I am a nail tech parttime and have long pink and whites and todate havent burnt any of them. I have of course have burnt just about every other part of my body but not my nails!!!!

Coffeebean
2006-05-31, 11:00am
:lol: I am laughing that this has turned into a post about nails, but it was also my first thought when I saw the pictures! I thought she cannot possibly be a lampworker because my manicure went WAY out the window when I started working with glass!

Stacy
2006-06-04, 12:49pm
Dark aqua looks great too.

BarbR
2006-06-07, 12:38am
Hmmmmm, sounds like there might be a market for Kevlar FingerNails. :-D

Great Tute too by the way. :cool:

danelady
2006-06-07, 2:35am
bwwaaahhahahaaa This thread is a hoot

First off I have to say i LOVE the tut Lynn! THANK YOU@ I use that method for my cane but I hadn't thought to use that comination of colors, so i am off to try it!

2nd, Yup LOVE LOVE LOVE the nails LOL:koolaid:

danelady
2006-06-09, 4:09pm
Ok Lynn, Thank you for the tutorial, here is the result of my using your Tutorial (don't blame Lynn if it doesn't look right! LOL)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8946375904

I called loco to ask for help writing this auction. She promptly named Miss Licky-Kitty and told me to go write her entire story VERY quickly, just in case someone wanted to sue me for the Krazy Kitty's actions!
LOL

Check her out!
http://www.doglogic.com/AUCTION/catsmeowdet.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8946375904)

Lynn Larson
2006-06-09, 4:27pm
Woohoo Lynnie!! Awesome job woman :D Thanks for showing me :love:

imbeadhead
2006-06-10, 8:36am
Hi Lynn,
I don't do lamp working yet, but I read all the tutorials because the whole process is just so intriguing. With that said, I think I could follow your tutorial w/o any problem. Very well done, thanks, Marie

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2006-06-10, 10:58am
Great tutorial Lynn! Thanks so much!

Bek
Yeah but do you know how to spork?

Great tutorial Lynn, and can I just say you have pretty hands and nails? O:)

danelady
2006-06-16, 9:31am
OK Y'all. I played with Corina's (or whomevers it is) Murrini Tut and Lynn's Vine tut and here's what I have to show for my efforts. Are they ok, or do I need to bury them in the duck pond? LOL
http://www.doglogic.com/AUCTION/olduvaigorge.jpg
http://www.doglogic.com/AUCTION/antiquechintz.jpg
http://www.doglogic.com/AUCTION/chintz.jpg

Lynn Larson
2006-06-20, 5:22am
Oh Lynnie!! They are incredible! I love them all :D

Cherine Perrin
2008-02-06, 7:18am
Very nice tut, I'm gonna have to try this.