Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Save those bits!

e. mort
2006-05-25, 7:44am
Well, I am notorius for saving every little bit of boro that I pluck off other pieces that even has a hint of color to it. Then when my oxy is getting low, or I am having an off day I melt a glob of clear and then roll it in all the leftover bits. I made a heart with this one, and I love the colors. I wish I could reproduce it! I know it has most all the GA luster colors, DAP, and GA triple passion in it, and there may be some of the chameleon colors in it as well. Call it a hodgepodge. So, save those bits and try it out! :lol:

Eric (the glass miser)

suzanne
2006-05-25, 7:53am
ohh that is so pretty , what a clever idea!!!

Janetlee
2006-05-25, 7:55am
Eric,
Beautiful heart ! love the colors , very nice!
Janet

dogmaw
2006-05-25, 8:26am
Beautiful heart!! I do the same thing. Some even gets made into frit if the hammer is handy.

e. mort
2006-05-25, 8:30am
Thanks! Of course I do have to add that not all of my leftover bit projects turn out this nice. Some are well.....darn right ugly. :lol:

RuskinDesigns
2006-05-25, 8:47am
Your heart is very pretty.

FlameDancer
2006-05-25, 7:35pm
OOoh Eric...I'm totally lov'in that heart:) I still haven't tried one of my own. Don't have a clue what I'm waiting on though:)

e. mort
2006-05-25, 7:46pm
Just do it! It is a lot of fun.

Eric

valerie_folly
2006-05-25, 8:02pm
beautiful Eric. I throw my bits in my water bucket but I think I'll start saving them!

e. mort
2006-05-25, 8:06pm
beautiful Eric. I throw my bits in my water bucket but I think I'll start saving them!

I used to do that with softglass, but when I started paying $40-60/lb for boro I became very frugal....ok, cheap. :lol:

Eric

HardwoodTrailGlass
2006-05-26, 4:39am
Wicked heart Eric!

Jupiter
2006-05-26, 5:42am
Hi Eric,
What a beautiful heart. Great idea too, I'm going to try it when I have the boro out this weekend :-)
judith

Juln
2006-05-26, 10:09am
I save all kinds of little bits of boro, too.
I have like 2 lbs of little sqlerps now, including the pieces of rods that fell to the floor and the tips flew off. If you get down to random pieces of 1-3 inches of color, I must have like 5 pounds+ of that! Sure, I punty up and use them... my project right now is to use all the color I have, scraps or fresh, before ordering any more. I don't know how that is going to work out.
I've even started saving the clear I pull off the front of pendants, just because there was so much of it. I don't know what to do with that yet!

rusticstudio
2006-05-26, 11:43am
Can you do a pot melt with the bits?

Lara
2006-05-26, 7:12pm
Very nice, doesn't look like bits at all.

baylie
2006-05-27, 2:44am
Can you do a pot melt with the bits?
Yes is the short answer, some one on this forum was talking about that maybe they'll chime in.....

Juln
2006-05-27, 10:37am
It's highly uncommon for people to melt their own boro in a crucible.
Melting soft glass in a crucible is feasible at a reasonable (sort of) expense, but boro takes much higher heat, and as a result the crucibles are made out of some exotic material that I can't remember-what-it-is and therefore they're quite expensive.
If one was going to do this, it would probably be to make color the way the boro companies do - melt high quality Schott cullet and add chemicals to make fresh glass. I don't think the energy and crucible wear and tear would be worth it for melting scraps.

baylie
2006-05-27, 4:50pm
Aim is making boro crucibles. I would love to be able to get my hands on one so I could pull my own custom colored tubing.

meadowesky
2006-05-29, 11:18am
oh man that is beautiful! what an awesome hodgepodge! :)