Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Bluebird vs fishbone

88mph
2012-08-06, 5:50am
Hi, can anyone shed some light on the difference between these two? I have researching and can't find any fundamental differences... Why would you choose one over the other?
Cheers!
Lisa

Eileen
2012-08-06, 6:27am
What are they?

JavaGirlBT
2012-08-06, 6:28am
What are they?

This is what I was wondering. There's a paragon kiln called a bluebird, but I don't know what a fishbone is.

Lizzydee
2012-08-06, 6:36am
lol, I assumed some sort of smart phone...

PittsGlass
2012-08-06, 2:11pm
Fishbone is an Evenheat kiln. I can't tell from the images and specs if it is a fiber or brick unit. It does say it only goes up to 1200 degrees so fusing would be out in that one. Also the elements are listed as embedded, which can be problematic when needing replacement.

The Blue Bird is fiber not brick. it too has a max temp of 1200. It holds heat well when running, but does not hold the heat quite as well as brick when the elements turn off.

Have you looked at The Regular Guy? It is comparable to the Blue Bird in size, and it is on sale for 20% off right now(the discount comes off when I invoice you, the online prices are retail). Our chambers are all brick construction not fiber blanket or board, doors are more durable, our chamber s deeper, and our doors are 4" instead of 2 3/4". The max temp for ours is 1700.

The Regular Guy kiln page (http://www.theglasshive.com/BEADANNEALERS.html)

JavaGirlBT
2012-08-06, 2:19pm
I would always choose a Glass Hive kiln over any other.

flamingobeth
2012-08-06, 2:25pm
Me too! Get any of the Glass Hive kilns, they are all great!

Baywinger
2012-08-06, 9:55pm
We did choose a glasshive over the blue bird, and I have a paragon sc2 as well love the glasshive over my paragon one big reason is the shelf infront of the doors instead of the metal shark teeth to hold mandrels, I hate the metal mandrel holder glasshives shelf makes more sense and works much better. also glasshive is having one heck of a sale and free shipping this week.

PerfectDeb
2012-08-06, 10:10pm
my bluebird is brick not fibre

give a choice i'd go for either a glasshive or a paragon, the only reason i chose a paragon over glasshive at the time was delivery time - i think they're both equally quality kilns

Arnold Howard
2012-08-07, 6:27am

give a choice i'd go for either a glasshive or a paragon, the only reason i chose a paragon over glasshive at the time was delivery time - i think they're both equally quality kilns

Thank you for your nice comment about the BlueBird. The standard BlueBird and BlueBird Jr. are made of ceramic fiber. The BlueBird XL has firebrick walls and floor and a ceramic fiber roof.

Here is a maintenance video that shows how the element is embedded in the ceramic fiber roof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10sN7vKNWxc&list=UU-s5mbIYuvcrA1H-_WneDZQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

alb6094
2012-08-07, 8:14am

Ditto that.

Also, I have a Paragon Caldera. The controller went out recently but I didn't know that's what it was at the time. I called the company and the walk-through on the phone was awesome.

I live about an hour from the factory so asked if I could bring it over because I was freaking (huge order due NOW, no kiln) and they worked me in. They had the controller replaced and had me on my way in 15 minutes.

They didn't have to work me in or help me out like that but they did and I am hugely grateful for that. My order went out on time and my new controller is a dream (the old one had survived amateur shipping from Ohio and lasted five years after that AND was used when I bought it).

I've seen how exemplary Glass Hive is about customer service too so I would be careful to investigate how the Fishbone customer service is. Believe me, down the road, it does matter.

PerfectDeb
2012-08-07, 10:19am
Thank you for your nice comment about the BlueBird. The standard BlueBird and BlueBird Jr. are made of ceramic fiber. The BlueBird XL has firebrick walls and floor and a ceramic fiber roof.

Here is a maintenance video that shows how the element is embedded in the ceramic fiber roof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10sN7vKNWxc&list=UU-s5mbIYuvcrA1H-_WneDZQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

i love my bluebird, its survived shipping from the US to Australia then from the east coast to the north (7000ks) and back again, and has never skipped a beat, and yep, mine is an XL so its brick

PittsGlass
2012-08-07, 12:57pm

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

My apologies Arnold. I really should have pointed out that difference in the XL. I was speaking solely on the standard Blue Bird, but the information would have been good to include for a more fair comparison across the product lines.

Luckily for the buyers, there isn't a bad choice, simply preferences. We all make good products. Depending on the size of your work and your budget, one of the companies makes what is just right for you.

Arnold Howard
2012-08-08, 5:39am
Luckily for the buyers, there isn't a bad choice, simply preferences. We all make good products. Depending on the size of your work and your budget, one of the companies makes what is just right for you.

Thank you! One of the things I love about the kiln industry is that most competitors are friendly. Last Sunday I attended the Ed Hoy's International open house and enjoyed spending time with Mike Kelly of Evenheat kilns and Mike Sievers of Skutt kilns.

I wish you much success.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard