Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : I can strike fire lotus, unless it's on the side of the bead...

cinder
2012-08-09, 10:16am
I played with fire lotus last night for the first time and all is peachy and beautiful.... except the sides of my bead that remain a pale yellow caramel color. I don't *mind* the sides being that color, because it's actually really pretty, I'd just like some advice for striking the edges because "heat, cool, strike, etc" is not working for the edges. :confused:

Anyone?

Firebrand Beads
2012-08-09, 11:11am
Hi Cinder - are you pressing the bead? I can't wrap my head around "sides" unless it's not round, you know?:)

AKDesigns
2012-08-09, 12:18pm
If you are talking about a round bead....

I've never used Fire Lotus but I do use DH striking glass and I can tell you what I do. I super heat rolling in the flame, then angle the bead so the flame is hitting around the bead hole on one side while I'm still super heating, switch to the other side and then one more good heating down the middle again. Cool, strike. When you strike, make sure you angle to get near the bead holes again. Some colors like TNT, if you just heat a round bead down the center, you won't get color near the bead hole so you really have to make sure you get some super heating there as well.

BoulderGlassMonkey
2012-08-09, 12:27pm
Kiln strike the caramelly parts, they will turn a beautiful fuschia!

cinder
2012-08-09, 1:03pm
Kiln strike at what temp? Mine didn't change in the kiln any more than they were when I put them in. Thanks, Amy, I'll try angling it more. Jenny, they're not pressed, just donut shaped.

jamie lynne
2012-08-09, 3:36pm
Mine kiln strike at 950 for 30-45 minutes (I can't remember the schedule). But, yup, toss them back in, you'll probably be surprised.

cinder
2012-08-09, 4:08pm
I'll try that. Thanks :)

Firebrand Beads
2012-08-12, 1:26pm
:-k Weird, Jamie - I anneal at 945 - 950 and they don't change for me at that temp.

We get significant change at 1000, tho. Don't leave them too long too hot, or they can develop small pits on the surface, we did get that result running them in Paul's boro kiln (4 hours, 1050.) But the beads won't distort at these temperatures.