Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : How small is too small?

glassymom
2006-05-30, 9:06pm
Hi all
Right now I'm working on my screen porch but was wondering how small is too small because my husband has an attached to the house shed. Its about 5x10, has a window and door.........and I was thinking it would be nice to have for a small work area. i'm working on a HH with a 20lb tank that is on a 12' hose so that is no problem anyway, I can run the hose out the window or door and quite aways from where i'm working and it would be out side. It already has a work bench too so I wouldnt' have to do anything but more all his "stuff" out and move mine in!! I was thinking I could keep the door open and also have one of those fans that goes right in the window and reverse it so it pulls the air out.........I dont use any enamels or anything like that, just propane, fire and glass.
What do you all think? I work on my screen porch right now and we have a large field behind us so its pretty windy most times..........(who would have thought that in central florida? LOL) Some days I just think of lighting the torch and the wind picks up!!! Any thoughts??
thanks,
sue
lake wales, fl

meadowesky
2006-05-30, 11:29pm

my studio is 5 1/2 x 11 and it works great for me. still working on the ventilation trying to find a hood or build one but i love my studio!

Kevan
2006-05-31, 12:23am
How small is too small? I'd say anything under 4 inches and I'm calling it a night.:wink:

Oh, your studio - try turning on the fan and use a piece of incense or something to see if it is sucking the smoke out right away.

shawnette
2006-05-31, 4:59am
If you have enough space to work comfortably, then it's not too small. It sounds like you have plenty of space because 5x10 is the size of half of a small room (10x10).

msritaa
2006-05-31, 11:52am
My bead room is 7 1/2 x 7 1/2 ft. And I share it with a tool storage shelf and electric water heater. It is perfect for me. My rolling chair is in the middle and I just swivel it around from the torching table to the beading/photography/shipping table. I use a squirrel cage fan up at ceiling height above the torch table. I don't need a hood because of the small space. I'm very happy with it. If I had a bigger space I would just fill it up with unnecessary stuff probably. Good Luck!

glassymom
2006-05-31, 6:02pm
Thanks everyone........now to convince my dh I "need" his shed!! LOL
Thanks for sending Pics Meadowesky!! nice and neat studio!! All I have is a small 2x4' table and its a mess all the time LOL
Thanks everyone!!
sue
lake wales, fl

HannahRachel
2006-06-01, 4:39am
How small is too small? I'd say anything under 4 inches and I'm calling it a night.:wink:

Yup, I was going there too, glad someone else did first.

meadowesky
2006-06-01, 9:59pm
hahahahahahahahaha! that is too funny! I didnt even catch that at first!

glassymom
2006-06-19, 1:07pm
Well I got it!! WOO HOO. We put in shelves to hold dh's stuff at one and and then I took over the other end. I have my work bench and my glass on top and my kiln is underneath. I do have to take the kiln out of the shed to use it but its better than what I was doing before........it was in a bedroom and I'd have to carry it outside and then back in when done.....whew thats great to not have to do that again!
Its working out great!!
thanks for the help!
sue
lake wales, fl

Moth
2006-07-12, 7:34am
Glad to hear that your small space worked out for you! My studio is only 5' x 6' so I understand what you are working with! :)

Why do you have to keep taking your kiln in and out? Is it a power source issue?

~~Mary

Emily
2006-07-12, 7:51am
The space is probably fine, but I'd think seriously about putting in some real ventilation. Air flow is only good if it's going the right way -- the bad stuff needs to be going out, and the good stuff needs to be coming in. With such a small space, it doesn't need to be difficult or expensive to put in ventilation that will do the job.

Yeah, the "how small" question was just begging for it, wasn't it?

Frostfire
2006-07-13, 3:44pm
I have an 11' x 11' room with a very small closet for my studio. That poor room holds my lampworking area (in the corner formed by the two outside walls), my collage/bookbinding/paper arts area (with a small worktable and floor-to-ceiling shelving for the supplies, and my weaving area (more floor-to-ceiling shelving for yarn and sample notebooks, plus a 25" wide floor loom and its bench).

The lampworking area is about 4' x 6', and consists of an industrial shelving unit broken down into two worktables. One is the torching table, with the oxygen concentrator underneath. The other, parallel to it and about 2 feet away, holds the kiln and dipped mandrels on top, with glass and supply storage underneath. I sit in my rolling drafting chair between the two, so I can just swivel from torch to kiln and back. It's small, but it works just fine.

BTW, the spinning wheel is in the living room and the sewing machine is on the kitchen table :hide: .

glassymom
2006-07-13, 7:01pm
Hi mary
Yes, the kiln has to come out because it sits right under the shelf and would melt the siding if I put it on inside. I have a jen ken bead kiln, not a little tiny one. Here is the pic of my area. As for ventilation the fan sucks the air out pretty good........I got one of those double window fans. When you stand outside of the window you can feel tons of heat. So much so that my dh thought the fan would melt but it hasn't LOL
I have one behind and above me too and that blows towards the window.
I work with the door open too and in the evenings there is usually a nice breeze......I'm actualy chilly at night....imagine that here in florida on a summer night!!! LOL
sue