sarakay
2005-06-06, 2:31pm
Here's the recipe for the blue bead.

You need:
Clear
Transparent cobalt
silver foil

1. Make a base of transparent cobalt.
2. Add threaded clear stringer and melt in.
3. Wrap in silver foil and burnish.
4. Apply more threaded clear stringer.
5. Melt in slowly, watching for the robin's egg blue reaction.
6. Case with clear, keeping the base bead out of the flame.

You must be sitting right in your chair, the stars in the right alignment, and holding your mouth right. In other words, this is a really hard chemical reaction to reproduce. :?

Threaded Stringer

Heat a small gather of glass.
Out of flame, touch the gather to your bead and spin your bead to pull out thin strands of glass.

64966 64968 64969

coyotesfamily
2005-06-06, 3:08pm
thank you soooooo much for posting this yet again!!!

IF-Designs
2005-06-06, 3:12pm
I have to ask how in the HELL do you get such a nice even THIN casement of clear? Im VERY envious of that

Gail Joseph
2005-06-06, 3:58pm
sigh.......this is so beautiful!

sarakay
2005-06-06, 5:33pm
I have to ask how in the HELL do you get such a nice even THIN casement of clear? Im VERY envious of that

It's not that thin, it just looks like it on TV. :D Here's the bead photographed in water...see? I fixed an uneven bead with the casing.

BiaggiaBeads
2005-06-06, 6:37pm
Sara, what a gorgeous bead! Thanks for sharing the recipe too!! Very nice of you..... :D Can't wait to get to the torch tomorrow!

Nicker
2005-06-06, 6:38pm
Sara I think it's really sweet of you to share this bead with us. SOMEDAY one of mine will come out looking like this :oops:

Sue H-K
2005-06-07, 10:11am
How yummy! I can't wait for some torch time now!

Thanks for sharing!
Sue

Amozoo
2005-06-07, 11:14am
Really wonderful share that is beautiful! Can't wait to try it. :D

Sylvie Anne
2005-06-09, 3:45am
Sara, that's a beautiful bead - I can't believe the ingredients are so simple. That blue just really pops.

PattyK
2005-06-10, 5:56am
What a magnificent bead Sara! When you say "threaded stringer" do you mean stringer that is very very thin?

Anne Ricketts
2005-06-13, 5:50am
Sara I really love that bead and blue is one of my fav colors!! I gave it a whack and here is what I came up with yesterday! Yours still looks much better!!

Roseanne
2005-06-13, 7:44am
Sarakay!! That is GORGEOUS!!! I'll have to give it a try too... I'm quite sure tho, mine will NOT look like yours or Anne's! :doubt: It would be fun to see everyone try it & post their results! 8-)

Curly Irish Girl
2005-06-13, 8:06am
A question about threaded clear.....what is it? Clear stringer pulled extremely thin? Clear that is silvered similar to the silvered ivory process??? Inquiring minds want to know....thanks for a GREAT tutorial and a FABULOUS blue bead!

Anne Ricketts
2005-06-13, 8:22am
A question about threaded clear.....what is it? Clear stringer pulled extremely thin? Clear that is silvered similar to the silvered ivory process??? Inquiring minds want to know....thanks for a GREAT tutorial and a FABULOUS blue bead!
What I did with mine was heat up the clear rod, touch it to the bead and then turn the bead. It gets pretty thin lines that way.

Kalera
2005-06-13, 10:14am
Wow Sara... that bead is GORGEOUS! I want to go try it now. :) Thanks for sharing the technique!

Kalera
2005-06-13, 10:15am

I really like the idea of silvered clear... I bet some wonderful effects can be acheived using it, if not on this bead than in other applications. Thanks for the great idea!

cherishbear
2005-06-13, 12:37pm
I love using silvered clear!! :D

sarakay
2005-06-13, 4:07pm

Threaded stringer is when you heat a small gather of glass and barely touch it down on your bead. Then you turn your bead quickly to draw out a tiny thread of clear. It takes some practice, but you can get really thin, delicate lines with this technique.

sarakay
2005-06-13, 4:09pm
Anne, I love your bead! And thanks everybody for saying nice things about my bead. I looked it up in the ISGB archives. I made that bead in May of 2000 and haven't really been able to make one as nice since then.

TroyNC
2005-06-13, 5:24pm
Simply put....I'm =P~

beadbroad
2005-06-14, 3:00am
Beautiful bead -- I tried, and haven't seen final results yet but it doesn't look like I got much. That was before the explanation of what a threaded stringer was, so I'll try again next week. One question -- do you use a lot of the stringer, so it covers most of the cobalt and then the silver, or do you keep it sparse?

Thanks for posting this --

sarakay
2005-06-14, 10:31am
The link doesn't work anymore.

beadbroad
2005-06-14, 1:35pm
GREAT! That really helps. I did it all wrong.

busy_beads
2005-06-15, 9:25am
That is beautiful!!! I am goign to give it a try the next time I torch !!!

firegrl
2005-08-04, 9:22pm
I love :love: this bead !!!! I have tried it twice and going to try again. I got two very cool mottled amber bead. Going to try again.

Cathy

swamper
2005-08-05, 6:52am
I saw this bead at the Gathering - itis awesome. I am going to have to try this technique again. hugs.

firegrl
2005-08-05, 7:18am
YIPPY ~ tried it again and got some blue (with amber mixed in for good measure. Just got to try again. I am making cylinders and thought that maybe I had too much class but the one that "worked" is a cylinder as well.

Cathy

Jamn!
2005-08-06, 3:50pm
That is an awsome bead! Thanks for posting this tutorial! :)

Tami
2005-08-17, 8:45am
Hello Sarakay,
what a great tutorial and of course what a beautiful bead!
I tried it with transparent red and got som blue reactions but forgot to encase it :?
Silvia

Tami
2005-08-17, 11:37am
Kimberly, I have to try this colors. Thank´s for sharing!

Curly Irish Girl
2005-08-17, 11:51am
So many options - sometimes I just become decision paralyzed!! Guess that's similar to another state I visit frequently - analysis paralysis

Curly Irish Girl
2005-08-18, 6:52am
Oh, POOP!!! I tried it.....and didn't get the effect - back to the drawing board - obviously user error = I HATE that!!

Teague
2005-08-25, 8:55pm
Oh wow! I just did this and I feel like I've discovered the coolest thing ever! So pretty! I didn't get a lot of the turquoise color, but it's still very pretty. This was my first time using foil though, and I'm wondering how people handle it?

Teague

NorLigh
2005-09-01, 8:12am
I just have to say--I tried the "blue bead" last night. I did not get a full blue bead like the picture, but WOW-- what I did get was a really pretty mixture of aqua blues-- almost opal looking. I am so very excited to try this again!

Why does it do this? What does the stringing on of clear do to make such interesting color changes?

I read that striking yellow and striking red does something similar with silver. Are there any other colors? I hate to waste my silver because it is expensive!

Oops-- found my answer! "Some other colors this will work well with are the transparent ambers, transparent purples (dark is best) cobalt, black, intense black, ink blue."

Thanks for the info!

NLC Beads
2005-09-18, 8:16pm
Very cool, and I especially like the bead in water tip to show the encasing - fascinating!

alissa
2005-12-04, 6:13pm
does it matter if you use effetre or vetrofond clear?

Nanette
2005-12-05, 12:21pm
Gorgeous bead, and thanks for the helpful pictures! Just beautiful. =D

alissa
2005-12-05, 3:59pm
Okay, so I tried making one using vet clear. I got some of the reaction to happen with the silver turning blue but the stringered areas sort of disappeared. However, the blueish reaction looked green in some parts! Really cool. I figured it might do something like that since it turns silver yellow normally...

Thanks for the tut!

Tink
2005-12-09, 12:42am
Sara, this is a wonderful tutorial! Nice job!

LoriBird
2005-12-23, 8:44pm
great tutorial! I can't wait to try this! Beautiful beads!
thanks
lori

sarakay
2005-12-24, 6:34pm
However, the blueish reaction looked green in some parts! Really cool. I figured it might do something like that since it turns silver yellow normally...

Thanks for the tut!

Well, I have to admit that my recent blue beads are green, but that's cool, too. ;-) I'm using a different clear (vetrofond) now.

Lizabeads
2005-12-24, 10:04pm
Going to try now..

raindance
2007-02-05, 11:59pm
Here are some pictures how I made the blue bead...

http://www.petemacko.org/PICORAMA/Album.aspx?a=38

Awww! The link doesn't work any more!

woops62
2007-02-18, 5:11pm
Hi Sarahkay, this site doesnt come up what am I doing wrong?
Wendy.
Here are some pictures how I made the blue bead...

http://www.petemacko.org/PICORAMA/Album.aspx?a=38

Mantis
2007-02-19, 11:18am
I was also wondering, but didn't want to ask. Thanks :biggrin:

madnesssr
2007-02-19, 11:55am
I gave it a try, but I don't think I made my stringer thin enough. Here are the two I made. One with striking red and one blue

Doesn't look as nice as yours though.

lldesigns
2007-02-19, 1:51pm
Every time this thread pops to the top I feel compelled to try yet again to make a "Blue Bead." And yet again I have another failure... I'm either very stubborn or eternally hopeful. :-D

Midnight Skye
2007-02-23, 7:45am
I am working on a hothead using moretti transparent cobalt blue and clear. I have tried this bead several times, and get a beautiful sparkly, cosmic looking bead, but I do not get the color change that alot of people experience. Can this be achieved on a hothead or do I need to do this bead on a better torch (maybe someday, I'll get lucky and get one). Also, does the moretti glass work on this technique or do I need a different glass/coe? I see references to Vetrofond and still learning, I do not know how this differs from moretti. Your input would be appreciated.

NLC Beads
2007-03-01, 9:25pm
I have done this on a HH, not as strong, but in some spots... I used Moretti, I believe.
Sara told me it had everything to do with the phase of the moon, the way I was sitting, hot I was breathing... ;) One of those tricky techniques that works when it wants to - I only achieved it once.

sarakay
2007-03-31, 1:23pm
Sorry about the link. That was on my exbf's site and it doesn't exist anymore.

I made that bead a long time ago. I had been making beads with cobalt and silver, and started noticing a pretty blue reaction in places on the beads. I wanted to try to get that reaction all over a bead.

It was done with moretti clear. I've been using vetrofond clear, and I get a green bead now.

It's a reduction/fuming technique. Since a lot of silver-heavy glass is on the market now, I understand a little bit more about how it works. Double Helix has good information on their site about how to strike silver.

Make your base bead, roll in silver.

To apply threaded stringer, heat a small gather of glass and, out of the flame, touch the gather down on the bead. Spin your bead to pull out thin strings of glass.

Adjust your flame so that it is slightly reducing (if you're on a hot head, you've already got a reducing flame). Just brush the surface of the bead in your flame to melt in the stringer threads and the silver. Watch for the color change. I do this under the flame. At this point, you are reducing the silver on the bead and also fuming.

And sit right in your chair and hope the planets are aligned. ;-)

When you case the bead, only apply heat to the casing, not the core of the bead. If you overheat the base bead, you'll end up with grey.

And please use good ventilation when you work with silver on your beads.

debkauz
2007-03-31, 2:08pm
Dumb question here...not the first and not the last! LOL
After you burnish your foil on, you aren't burning it in, are you? Just leaving it on top of the bead, right?

sarakay
2007-04-02, 7:10pm
Adjust your flame so that it is slightly reducing (if you're on a hot head, you've already got a reducing flame). Just brush the surface of the bead in your flame to melt in the stringer threads and the silver. Watch for the color change. I do this under the flame. At this point, you are reducing the silver on the bead and also fuming.

And sit right in your chair and hope the planets are aligned.

NLC Beads
2007-04-02, 7:11pm
Cross your toes, too. ;)

debkauz
2007-04-02, 7:50pm
I can't WAIT to try this. I'll cross everything I can think of to cross if I can get a bead anywhere close to that gorgeous thing!

sarakay
2007-04-02, 9:50pm
This is not an easy reaction to get. And quit asking me what threaded stringer is. I think I've explained it several times now.

beadysam
2007-04-03, 3:23am
I was playing with this technique yesterday with both moretti and vetro clear. The vetro brings out sooooo many more colours for me, it is really, really special. I love the moretti effect too, but the vetro is my fave.

Thanks for this tut, its simple and fun!

sarakay
2007-04-03, 5:59pm
Sorry about being a grump about threaded stringer last night. I have some pictures of it somewhere. I'll try to dig them up this weekend. Threaded stringer can really be your friend. It's not hard to do, once you understand what it is.

I like vetrofond glass alot, too, beadysam.

debkauz
2007-04-06, 9:26pm
Hummm....I thought I knew what threaded stringer was but I'll be interested to see the pics.
I made a couple of these beads today and I didn't get a lot of the robin's egg blue but I got some of the coolest reactions. I can't wait to see the beads out of the kiln. I have to wait for Mari to send them to me unless I can get her to take a pic. Great tut!!! Thanks so much for sharing.

sarakay
2007-04-07, 12:02pm
I added pictures of threaded stringer to the first post in this thread. :-)

Deb, I'd love to see what you made!

debkauz
2007-04-07, 1:57pm
Sara, I"ll post them as soon as I get them. They are in a kiln out at Blue Fire Beads. I got some gorgeous colors--some amber, some cool funky blue color...who know what'll come out of the kiln! It may be a few weeks, but I'll get them up here.

And...phew...I did know what threaded stringer was! LOL It's fun to do. You never quite know what you'll end up with--or at least I don't!

sarakay
2007-04-07, 2:23pm
Neither do I! ;-)

debkauz
2007-04-13, 12:40pm
I can't get a decent picture of this bead to save my life! It's gorgeous though. Sarakay thanks so much for the tutorial! It doesn't look that color blue except in a few places but I've got some amazing colors. Looks like a little mini universe.

Gelly
2007-04-13, 2:09pm
I made The Blue Pig using this tut. I only got a tiny bit of the robin's egg blue this time, but like Deb said, it looks like the universe... cool!

http://gellybutton.com/images/Apr07/8/blue1.jpghttp://gellybutton.com/images/Apr07/8/blue2.jpg
http://gellybutton.com/images/Apr07/8/blue3.jpghttp://gellybutton.com/images/Apr07/8/blue4.jpg

Thanks Sara!

debkauz
2007-04-13, 2:38pm
She's so cute! You got completely different colors than I did. Oh heck. I have to go and try again. Well, they turned out better when I just did a crap shoot than when I tried! They aren't as lumpy as they look in the pics. There are two of them and Im not sure I'll get the pics in the right order.
I think this is both of them! The pinkish colors in them almost look like opals. I can't wait to try this again!

debkauz
2007-04-13, 3:14pm
Just resized my favorite.

Gelly
2007-04-13, 11:27pm
Deb, they are GREAT! You got some fantastic colors, way to go! It does look like opal... or abalone.

I think I used too much or not enough threaded clear before I put the silver on. I know I played with this before, and I'm sure I'll do it again... I want a bead like Sara's, lol!

debkauz
2007-04-14, 7:34am
Thanks! I just love the different colors you can get from this. Your gorgeous aqua, the robin's egg blue and the dark swirley blue. I KNOW I'm going to do it again!

I love the little bead hog btw! I don't think you make any pigs I don't like!

sarakay
2007-04-14, 10:18am
Awsome beads, you two! :biggrin:

BlueBetween
2009-07-16, 9:26pm
Have been playing around with this tutorial this week... thought I'd share one - I got the color, but not enough of it, I guess I didn't put enough threaded clear on. And I didn't encase it either.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2542/3727956773_5890425f3e.jpg

framerak
2009-07-16, 11:19pm
Pam, that's yummy! Very milky-way looking!

tasminann
2009-07-17, 5:24am
Ooooo, Pam, I like!!!

Athalour
2009-07-17, 8:01am
Too, too beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. :D

Mermaid Glass
2009-07-20, 4:14am
Pretty!

PaulaD
2009-07-20, 8:08am
I always thought that was a real pretty reaction!
Paula

bousky
2009-08-08, 11:05am
What a wonderful bead! ..........I need to clean today......not go light my torch!

Thanks for the recipe!

Listenup
2010-06-03, 8:49pm

WhiskerWood
2010-06-03, 9:44pm
I am glad this is here, I will miss you Sarakay :cry:

Beadanna
2010-06-04, 5:16am
I found this thread before I found this one - http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164845.

So sad - what a lovely woman.

Mitosis Glass
2010-06-04, 6:14am
I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of this lovely young lady. Her work is beautiful and although I'd never met her, the folks who did spoke so highly of her. :love:

Beyond the Bead
2010-06-04, 10:28am
may there be plenty of Propane in Heaven!

You will be missed dear lady! Until we all meet...

beadstillmyheart
2010-06-04, 2:19pm
Thank you for sharing with us Sara. I will always think of you when I hold this bead I made using your tutorial. Ummm, it wasn't EXACTLY the bead I set out to make, but I still love it.

And thank you for the time and effort you put into working on The Flame with Corina and Kim and myself. The magazine that almost was :lol: We were SOOOOOO close, weren't we? What a wild time we had with THAT !!!

You will be missed.

Lyric0561
2010-06-04, 5:44pm
Oh, Sarakay, you will be missed so much! Thank you for your generosity and kindness in helping me when I first started, and beyond. Rest in Peace, Sweet Lady!

PerfectDeb
2010-06-04, 6:31pm
i remember buying cobalt blue just to try this

you'll be missed Sara

bazile
2010-06-05, 4:45am
Thank you Sara, you made a big difference to me and taught me much.

NLC Beads
2010-06-06, 12:18pm
My one effort at this, years ago...

giapet
2010-06-21, 5:49pm
Used Sara Hoyt's tut for these. The blue is a pretty dark one, just grabbed what was on the bench.

diff view

RIP Sara. You are missed.

NLC Beads
2010-06-21, 6:43pm
So pretty...

I've been thinking I need to try this on the Minor and see what happens, my last attempt was years ago on my HH... And Sara won him on eBay and kept him with her... :love:

giapet
2010-06-21, 7:07pm
So pretty...

I've been thinking I need to try this on the Minor and see what happens, my last attempt was years ago on my HH... And Sara won him on eBay and kept him with her... :love:

I did these on a minor with 2 oxy cons, lots of heat. I work hot, the color comes out pretty quickly.

Karen

Kalera
2010-06-23, 5:11pm
I missed the other thread... I didn't know she was gone until seeing this just now. I'm so sad... she was so gifted, and giving, and had such a warm and grounded presence. I will miss her.

NorLigh
2010-07-09, 8:36am
*sniff* I didn't know Sara at all so why am I tearing up here? I was just a beginner lampworker when I tried The Blue Bead. That was back in 2005. I must have read this tut around the fall of '05. I will never ever forget my total excitement when I took these beads *unannealed at the time* from my fiber blanket. I got excellent effects from the mixture of the cobalt and silver. So from there I added different colored reaction glass frits, tried other transparent glass (red makes for some cool looks,) used tiny dots of rubino... all based on Sara's tut of The Blue Bead. I "perfected" my encasing from making so many variations of The Blue Bead. I can truly say that The Blue Bead was my jumping off point that let me know I would be a talented lampworker (if not small time :)

I am very sad to read that this kind woman has left us yet know she is somewhere wonderful.

Jennifer

As I read back I see I commented in 9/05. I dunno- for some reason this is one of those poignant eye-opening situations. A lot can change in five years.

Pia Kaven
2010-07-10, 5:33am
About head out the door for classes... I hope the day goes fast, so I can come home and try this! It looks absolutely gorgeous!

praxidis
2010-07-29, 3:05pm
I stumbled on this thread a few weeks ago and was very saddened to hear of the passing of the originator of this lovely technique. I had to try it and after a couple of icky looking results I got a bead nice enough to share.

Prax

Pia Kaven
2010-08-06, 4:09pm
Wow, I am speechless, I was just so excited about the tutorial, and did not even read the thread trough. Her passing really is a tragedy, sad, very very sad.

theglasszone
2010-12-25, 2:28am
Thinking of you tonight, Blue Bead Girl, and your kindness and generosity....

Teena
2010-12-26, 1:13pm
Aw...De, nice thoughts from you!

carolinesbeads
2011-01-02, 8:46pm
I can't wait to try this one.

GlassElephant
2011-01-20, 12:29am
Thanks so much for sharing such a lovely bead recipe, cant wait to give it a whirl. I’ve tried it with Rubino pink wrapped in silver foil pulled into a stringer. Turns into a greenish color. \\:D/

Tammy
GlassElephant.etsy.com

PattyK
2011-01-20, 2:40am
That's a very cool bead Tammy!

Joanne
2011-01-21, 2:57pm
I didn't know this wonderful artist, and it's sad that she left so suddenly. But don't you think she'd be pleased to know that 5 1/2 years after she posted this tutorial, people are still discovering it and are excited to try it?
Next time I'm at the torch, I'll give it a whirl...

jkincaid10
2011-11-11, 4:17am
This bead is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

swamper
2011-11-12, 5:59am
I met Sarakay at the first Gathering in Louisville. She was wearing the blue bead. I found her to be a kindred spirit. We both were in awe of the lampwork greats, but needed quiet time to refresh. We spent breaks silently side by side on the sidewalk in front of the hotel. I was saddened by her passing. She left her sweet memory far beyond her short life.

lindag
2011-11-28, 1:58am
I've been thinking of Sara Kay lately. Reading this again brings tears.

essiemessy
2011-12-06, 6:20pm
I'd seen this a few months ago, but failed to read the entire thread. For some reason, I did last week and, well, here's my contribution to it all.
First attempts:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/gertthesquirt/Beads/IMGP3858.jpghttp://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/gertthesquirt/Beads/IMGP3854.jpg

Leslie Dana
2011-12-07, 4:44pm
I miss Sara :(

Kalera
2011-12-07, 6:39pm
I miss Sara :(

So do I.

BlueBetween
2012-03-04, 4:59pm
I am making a memorial bead today and using this recipe as my base... and so am thinking of two beautiful people the world is missing... I'm so glad Sara's tutorial lives on...

Dragonfly Queen
2012-03-06, 12:49pm
I just read this today. So sad. What great contributions to her memory.

simvet02
2012-03-07, 3:20pm
I just found this tutorial today also, how strange to be reading her posts and then to find out that she is gone. Life is just to darn short.

Peace be with you Sarah...

allicat
2012-07-07, 7:19pm
Came across the tutorial and decided to give it a go with CIM's Azure. Had no idea till I got to the end of the thread that sarakay is no longer with us. Damn shame; she obviously was a great gal as well as a talented lampworker. I'm sorry I'll not get the chance to meet her.

Oliver Levy
2012-07-27, 8:33am
That's really cool, I am going to try that when I get home.

PerfectDeb
2013-01-10, 4:27pm
giving this a bump to the top for the newbies

this is a really great tutorial for learning how to play with silver and reactions plus it has some wonderful techniques you can use in other projects

in memory of a very generous Sara

MistyCherie
2013-01-11, 7:22am
<3 Sara - Miss you.

Thanks Deb. I remember the fun times for Chinese Auction. I have a bracelet made with her beads and treasure it greatly. It's always nice to see this thread make its way back to the front for others to see.

Speedslug
2013-10-15, 12:28am
Just a tap to remember Sara.

Dragonfly Queen
2013-11-02, 8:30am
So glad this was bumped up again. I tried this when I first read this with not much luck. When I saw this again, I decided to try again. I sure am glad I did.

Front and Back. That is silver, not gold. I used Effetre crystal clear and while melting in the second string of clear the silver had a fuming affect and the clear turned this lovely gold.

CheriB
2013-11-02, 11:01pm
Inez,
That's really pretty! I was sorting my beads tonight and came across a couple I made from Sara's tutorial. I just had to come back to this thread to read it again.
Cheryl

Dragonfly Queen
2013-11-06, 8:07am
thank you Cheryl. I'm going to play with this some more. I would really like to try to get more of the robin egg blue Sarah got.

bob
2013-11-06, 12:53pm
Nice job on the blue bead Inez.
Bob

bob
2013-11-06, 1:05pm
Deb, Thanks for having bumped this post. I go through the archives alot and made Sarakay's blue Bead with limited success. I decided to come back and try again so I thought I would read through the entire post this time, I did not know Sarakay had passed.
I thought I would make another one today after reading the entire post and this is the first one I am really happy with.
I know it's to late but, Thank You Sarakay:

Bob

Dragonfly Queen
2013-11-06, 4:02pm
Thank you Bob and ditto on your bead. Love the variations of colors you got out of this technique.

Yes, thank you Sarah for your generous soul. May it live on forever.

lunamoonshadow
2014-05-07, 9:10pm
I miss SaraKay. :cry:

angelique_redhead
2014-05-08, 3:34am
So do I. She was sweet. I miss several of our friends that aren't here any more. :cry: :love: Angelique

I miss SaraKay. :cry:

Mustang Dawn
2014-05-10, 7:33am
It's so sad....

pittypat
2014-05-12, 1:11pm
I think it would be really nice to have a memorial section on LE for those we miss. And so many of our new peeps don't know them, but could see why we miss them so much. It would be a special place to leave comments like this. Just an idea...

JavaGirlBT
2014-05-12, 6:21pm
I feel like I missed out on getting to know her better. I took it for granted that she'd always be here. I do that too often.

lunesse
2014-06-10, 7:57pm
I really like Pat's idea.

Mina
2014-06-18, 2:04pm
My attempt at a blue bead. Doesnt look anything like the one in the tutorial, but I like it. Sorry it is a little blurry

carolinesbeads
2014-06-18, 2:37pm
Nice job Mina, I think you need to burn all the silver in so that you can only see little drops on the surface then switch your flame to a reducing flame. If you are on a Hothead cover the holes on the torch with foil flash your bead in the flame then cover with clear.

Mina
2014-06-18, 2:42pm
Thanks Caroline. So I burn the silver off before I encase?

carolinesbeads
2014-06-18, 7:22pm
Yes I think that's right I am not sure if you need to reduce or not. It doesn't say so in the directions.

Mina
2014-06-18, 7:59pm
thanks, ill try it again

LampLit
2014-08-07, 4:28pm
Here's the recipe for the blue bead.

You need:
Clear
Transparent cobalt
silver foil

1. Make a base of transparent cobalt.
2. Add threaded clear stringer and melt in.
3. Wrap in silver foil and burnish.
4. Apply more threaded clear stringer.
5. Melt in slowly, watching for the robin's egg blue reaction.
6. Case with clear, keeping the base bead out of the flame.

You must be sitting right in your chair, the stars in the right alignment, and holding your mouth right. In other words, this is a really hard chemical reaction to reproduce. :?

Threaded Stringer

Heat a small gather of glass.
Out of flame, touch the gather to your bead and spin your bead to pull out thin strands of glass.

64966 64968 64969

Do you think you'd get the same effect with another colour? Your bead is beautifull, but I'm not a "blue" person - just wondering if it would work with a lilac, pink or green?

echeveria
2014-08-07, 4:44pm
Do you think you'd get the same effect with another colour? Your bead is beautifull, but I'm not a "blue" person - just wondering if it would work with a lilac, pink or green?

Try it.

LampLit
2014-08-08, 11:54am
Try it.
And that's exactly what I did. I need to work on the shape of my long focal beads but I am very happy with the colours.

I am so glad I ran across this post. I didn't realize when I posted the first time that she is no longer with us. Very sorry to see we lost such a talented lampworker. She seemed like such a wonderful person from what I have read.

echeveria
2014-08-08, 1:17pm
I love it on green!

DeevaaS
2014-10-15, 12:29pm
I read this tutorial early on when I was on my HH and didn't try it. I was reminded by the new thread Corri started of people's favorite threads. I am on a mega-minor now and thought I would give it a try. I never knew of the original author until too late but she has left a lovely legacy of friends and of this tutorial that continues to inspire new lampworkers to try her technique. I am very happy with my beads but I definitely do NOT have that stringer technique down.

Moucnicka
2017-07-20, 7:11am
What a great tutorial, I can't wait to try that. moucnicka

KEW
2017-07-20, 1:56pm
Seeing Sarakay'so name made me catch my breath.

KayTStudio
2017-07-20, 2:07pm
Yeah, me too. But I love this tut, I made it in a bunch of colors, they were some of my favorites.

AVTrout
2017-07-24, 12:35pm
The bead under water photograph is super cool!

Beth S
2017-08-08, 3:33pm
I just found this tutorial today. Thank you Sara for contribution to fellow lampwork artists! Your flame lives on.

Sdumortier
2018-01-20, 4:26pm
Thank you very much...