Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Dot Question

Barb H.
2005-08-02, 5:41am
Is there a trick to making those little dots? I've tried and they always end up with all different sizes. Is it better to use a stringer instead of the regular rod? Thanks for any help. Plus...those cute little flowers so many of you make. When you overlap the petals, do you cover them in clear before putting on the second round of petals? I love all your guys work that you post. Now...if I can just make some decent dots and even just a single layer of petals! Even if I could just make one so I could wear it on a chain and actually be able to say, yes... I made this! LOL Thanks again, Barb H.

Mr. Smiley
2005-08-02, 5:49am
Practice practice practice... and yes, stringers are easier for some dots... Heidi invented the "dot", so I'm sure she'll chime in here too. ;)

Just keep at it and you'll be inpressing yourself with what you made, in no time. :D

Heidi von Frozenfyre
2005-08-02, 7:09am
Yes! This week only I'm having a sale on dots. 0.05 cents each!

I think you can have better control with stringer-made dots - until you get the hang of it and you can make dots out of just about any thickness of rod.

Work in a rythm

melt a tip of stringer to the size of dot you wish to have - then plop that baby onto the bead.

remember - the sale is this week only :)

Heidi

Barb H.
2005-08-02, 7:46am
Thanks guys...........Yep I will do the P.P.P. thing, and Heidi, maybe about 5 dozen should do! You're tooooo funny. When frustration lurks, I get a chuckle when I come in here and lots of great info, so then I feel much better. Thanks again, Barb

Lisi
2005-08-07, 11:51am
Yes! This week only I'm having a sale on dots. 0.05 cents each!

I think you can have better control with stringer-made dots - until you get the hang of it and you can make dots out of just about any thickness of rod.

Work in a rythm

melt a tip of stringer to the size of dot you wish to have - then plop that baby onto the bead.

remember - the sale is this week only :)

Heidi

Hehe, Heidi you're funny!! :D

I found out recently (and I've been making beads for 2 years, sheesh) that I can get better dots this way. I had trouble with the HH because it threw the heat out all over and balled up the stringer too quickly. I have it much easier with the new torch. Now, was it the HH or me?! More likely me I think. :rolleyes:

BillBrach
2005-08-07, 3:32pm
Lisa,

It was the HH. You MUST have good flame control to do consistent dots.

And Heidi summed it up:

RYTHYM !!

1. Heat the stringer to the size dot needed
2. Stab the dot onto the base bead
3. Pause for a fraction of a second with the stringer on the bead
4. Pull the stringer away the same direction off the dot each time

RYTHYM, works great for dots, not so good for birth control.

See post #24 in the 'Fish' thread for an example of consistent dots:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2552

Bill

krista michael
2005-08-07, 4:28pm
RYTHYM, works great for dots, not so good for birth control.

LOL!! :lol:

PaulaD
2005-08-07, 4:39pm
Get Brad Pearson's and Deanna G Dove's new book on Dots. Paula

Curly Irish Girl
2005-08-07, 6:14pm
I picked up the Pearson/Dove Dots book at the gathering - first time thru it was confusing as they seem to contradict each other. Then I decided it was SUPPOSED to be that way as it gives the "traditional" and the "impromptu" approach. The next time thru, it made lots of sense!

Lara
2005-08-07, 6:54pm
I use the rythum method too and have birth lots of dot beads. Bill discribed it right, but you may want to try counting and start with larger dots. Hold the stringer or rod in the flame for X number of seconds, then dot onto the bead, turn bead, count for X number of second and dot, etc. As you get used to this, you won't need to count anymore. I just got the new dot book to, it is very good.

Lara

BillBrach
2005-08-08, 4:09am
Oh, I meant to add in my post that larger stringer, about 1/16" or so, works best. Too skinny and it melts too quickly, loosing control before you are ready.

Lisi
2005-08-08, 9:36am
Thanks Bill! I'm relieved to know it was the HH and not me! It's a lot easier now, and the Mini CC does throw out a lot of radiant heat, but no problems really. I do have a problem with a "breathing" flame from the generator though. Yeah, I do have a small holding tank that I need to get hooked up, but I have to call the guys in NY (Airsep) because I think I need an 02 regulator??

Oops, sorry, veering off the subject! :oops:

dogsrlove
2005-08-11, 7:43pm
I ordered my book Monday, recieved it today (Thursday), and ~BRAVO~ Brad and Deanna, best $ I've spent in a while, great color pics, simple explanations. You've identified a few "trouble spots" I've had and given easy "fix-its". Now if I can find the time to PPP!

Vanessa

shawnette
2005-08-11, 10:34pm
I ordered my book Monday, recieved it today (Thursday), and ~BRAVO~ Brad and Deanna, best $ I've spent in a while, great color pics, simple explanations. You've identified a few "trouble spots" I've had and given easy "fix-its". Now if I can find the time to PPP!

Vanessa

No fair! I ordered mine Saturday! :sad: I'm getting better, but my dots still suck.

sunnyone
2005-08-13, 2:36pm
yup....buy stringer! after awhile it will come naturally...ppp....also if you do pull your own stringer maybe try pulling the stringer off the end of the mandrel of the bead you are making....it is easier to get a thicker and shorter stringer that way when you are just learning to pull stringer thick!

crystal