Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : I Need A Kiln Expert?

mamabunting
2013-01-04, 6:47am
I have a Paragon Bluebird Bead Kiln Modal # S1018-6 with a Sentry Express 4.0 Controller.

2-3 months ago the kiln died. Would not heat. Over a period of some weeks first the relay was replaced, then the heating elements were replaced and finally the Controller itself was replaced.

At full power the kiln used to get up to my 950 hold temp in 30-40 minutes. Now it will get to 950 but it takes almost 45 to 50 mins at full power to do it.

This kiln has two side by side doors. I find that as long as I load mandrels as I am working on one side only the kiln can maintain the hold temp of 950. As soon as I have been working awhile and need to load on the other side and that door is propped open with a mandrel the kiln temp drops to the mid 800's and cannot recover to the 950 hold.. It used to hold my 950 temp with a chock full kiln with no problem before all the issues.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I have called Paragon twice and they keep telling me someone will call me back but still no answer..

Avery

Anne Londez
2013-01-04, 7:09am
Where is the temperature probe located with regards to those doors ?

mamabunting
2013-01-04, 7:50am
Hi Anne,

This is the kiln. The temp probe is on that right side where the door is open. I have adjusted it both out a bit more into the space (a little more than 1/2 an inch) and when that did not work pushed it a bit more into the fiber wall so it is out only about 1/4 of an inch. I thought that might be the issue because I work to the left of the kiln so the left side is the side I load first. As soon as that right side door is open just a bit down goes the temp.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e245/mamabunting/Kiln_zps7f191156.jpg

Anne Londez
2013-01-04, 8:46am
I think that may be the answer then. Is it possible that before the kiln was repaired, the probe was pushed back in the wall and was a bit too sheltered from the inside of the kiln ? Also, it is possible that the door lining may have chipped a little over time, making the gap wider when it is loaded.

dilly53
2013-01-04, 10:11am
I have a different model of Paragon kiln, and have had to replace parts after 8years of constant use. I have nothing but glowing reports to give Paragon on their customer service. I have spoken many times with a CS rep named Susan and found her to be extremely knowledgeable and extremely helpful. She has worked with me for hours trying to determine the source of my kiln problems and has given me a correct diagnosis 100% of the time. I would suggest you ask for her when you call Paragon. I cannot say enough about how professional she is and I have saved myself lots of moolah by replacing parts instead of buying a new kiln, which I would have done if I hadn't had such luck with her. Give it a try.

Gail Witt
Pickadilly Beads

GLASSFREEK
2013-01-04, 10:20am
Sounds like the TC is not in the kiln fare enough, pull that puppy in there. :)
Also its a fiber kiln any door cracks will cause the kiln to loose heat pretty fast.

Mike

Dragonharper
2013-01-04, 11:01am
If you can, make sure the connections to the heating element are good and tight. As loose connection there could very easily cause the symptoms you are having.

mamabunting
2013-01-04, 1:41pm
Thanks Anne, Mike, Gail and Roy,

Is there a way to reinforce the doors if they are chipped or cracked or should I try to replace them? I will play with the temp probe a bit more and check the connections to the elements.. How far into the kiln should the temp probe be sticking out?

Avery

squid
2013-01-04, 1:49pm
You should also check if the element you put in is as strong as the one it replaced. I purposely put a lower power element in my kiln to prevent wild swings in temp. They do come in different powers. I think it has something to do with the gauge of the wire used, but don't quote me on that.

Alaska
2013-01-04, 2:03pm
If you old element is still available measure the resistance from end to end. For 1000 watts it should be in the range of 14 ohms for a 120 VAC system. If the resistance increases then there will be less heat developed.

If 20 ohms then the maximum power with 120 VAC applied with be 720 watts. At 25 ohms 576 watts both requiring a much longer time to reach operating temperature.

mamabunting
2013-01-04, 2:23pm
Hmm.. I do not have the old element as it was done for me by a local Paragon certified kiln person.
I will try to get in touch with them to see what the kiln should have?
Alaska you lost me.. 61 year old here seriously lacking in electrical knowledge.. :lol:

GLASSFREEK
2013-01-04, 11:10pm
Thanks Anne, Mike, Gail and Roy,

Is there a way to reinforce the doors if they are chipped or cracked or should I try to replace them? I will play with the temp probe a bit more and check the connections to the elements.. How far into the kiln should the temp probe be sticking out?

Avery

About an inch should be fine,also not sure if that controller has it but if it do's auto tune it.

Mike

mamabunting
2013-01-08, 4:56am
Thank you so much everyone!! It is fixed!! Mike you hit the nail on the head. I got into the guts again and reset the lines going from the relay to the elements. After playing with the wires I was able to finagle some extra length so I could move the probe a good 3/4 of an inch into the kiln. That did the trick. Did a test with both doors propped open with mandrels and the temp dropped a bit to the low 900's but then was able to recover back to the holding temp..
You guys are all the best!!
I should have known better and come here first..
I have not yet had a problem with any aspect of lampworking that the LE family was not able to solve..

Avery

mo0nluver3
2013-01-08, 5:31am
I'm a complete newbie to flamework and I feel almost silly jumping into the convo this way. I recieved a beginners lampwork hothead torch kit for Christmas and am slowely learning what I really want instead, minor torch etc. I am actually just wondering what is a good kiln to start out with. I of course want to sell my beads, and use them in my jewelry for the comming summer craft fairs, but I am clueless on where to go next. All of the lingo is so new and interesting loL! I am willing to invest money into this craft but I'm a little stumped on where to start.

mamabunting
2013-01-08, 5:41am
moOnluver3

Although I have had good luck with the Paragon for the last 8 years.. my next kiln is gonna be a Glass Hive for sure.. and from what I can determine it is the favorite of LE'ers..

Check out GLASSFREEK post just above mine and check out the website..

http://theglasshive.com/

Avery

Nolly
2013-01-08, 8:04am
Moonlover3,

Here's an old thread on another forum that catalogs all the helpful information from 2002 to 2007. Because it's old, you might find some broken links, but Maureen Kennedy did a wonderful job of putting this reference tool together and I think you'll see that everyone asks the same questions as she gets started in this wonderful art.

Don't hesitate to pm me with questions; I learned so much on the forii, I'm happy to pay it back.

Nolly

Arnold Howard
2014-07-24, 9:31am
Thank you so much everyone!! It is fixed!! Mike you hit the nail on the head. I got into the guts again and reset the lines going from the relay to the elements. After playing with the wires I was able to finagle some extra length so I could move the probe a good 3/4 of an inch into the kiln. That did the trick. Did a test with both doors propped open with mandrels and the temp dropped a bit to the low 900's but then was able to recover back to the holding temp..

Avery

Avery, what fixed your kiln? Tightening the wires between the relays and the elements, or pushing the thermocouple 3/4" into the firing chamber? Were any of the wires loose?

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com