Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Calculating Ventelation Pipe Diameter

LampworkbyLori
2006-06-09, 5:43pm
Speedy replies appreciated. Working on a deadline!

I'm going to work with our HVAC guy on building my own ventilation system. I'm going to do it once and I'm going to do it right!

First, I plan to have him build something like a metal Barley box with about a 6.25 sq in face opening. To calculate the fan's required CFM, I'll take 6.25 * 80 = 500 CFM. Here is a picture of what inspired my design (near bottom of page posted by gailjoseph of GG Glass):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...light=Hardware

Now, I need to determine the diameter of the exhaust pipe.

I've read the technical stuff on the different forums, including Mike's Velocity/CFM/LF table in .pdf, as well as MANY other threads on ventelation. I must confess that as a non-mechanical mind I'm not very good at understanding the engineering I kinda see how to calculate things like static pressure and velocity, but I get lost when I try to determine how those numbers come into play. But, I can tell you that I plan to use round metal stovepipe for the exhaust duct. It will be about 4-5 ft long with one 45 degree bend. Also, I think it needs to be taken into account that I do use enamels and foils.

Along with KNOWING I have provably safe air removal system, I want/need to be able to tell the HVAC guy WHY I need an 8" or 10" duct. And, I'd feel a lot better about drilling a hole in the side of our brick house as long as I can justify that it needs to be 10" instead of something smaller.

Will someone please confirm my CFM calculation and provide the calculations required to determine duct diameter for lampworking purposes?

Many thanks!

Please respond at the following if possible:

http://www.isgb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9554

Thanks!

MikeAurelius
2006-06-09, 7:14pm
If you show the hvac guy a printout of my technical document, he should be able to determine the size of the duct. It's all there.

LampworkbyLori
2006-06-09, 7:16pm
I have them all printed out and ready. I'm just afraid to trust him because of our special needs.

I'll share final design for commentary before construction. OK?