Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : What's up with Carlisle ?

Anne Londez
2013-05-25, 12:22pm
The link I have to Carlisle's website leads me to a site where the torches are presented but I can't see any prices. Is there a new site ? Where am I supposed to go if I want to buy ? I must have been out of the loop for too long...

dusty
2013-05-25, 12:30pm
Carlisle doesn't typically sell direct. They sell through resellers. Shop around and ask your favorite supplier if they'll price match competitors. Got mine from Salt City Glass.

Anne Londez
2013-05-25, 12:37pm
I definitely have been out of the loop for too long... last time I bought Carlisle torches, I got them directly from them !

Lisi
2013-05-25, 2:02pm
Which one are you looking for? I've been doing some torch specs and prices research lately. :)

Anne Londez
2013-05-25, 2:44pm
I'm interested in a Hellcat. And if anyone could compare it to a Mid-Range, which is what I have now, I'd be grateful. I'm looking for a soft glass torch but with both the capacity to work small without using too much gas (which is why I like the Mini CC center flame) and the power to heat up large gathers quickly.

HannahRachel
2013-05-25, 4:30pm
I can't compare, but I love my Hellcat.

BellaBean
2013-05-25, 6:17pm
I used a hellcat during a workshop and LOVED it!

carld
2013-05-25, 6:24pm
I just got a quote on CC+, r+p, #5 center fire, 4 inlet, with "B" fittings from ABR and It is in stock!

khan
2013-05-25, 7:37pm
You can definatly buy from Carlisle. I have bought several things from them... you can call them and they will tell you want ever you want to know.

Khan

TJ
2013-05-25, 11:32pm
I just put in an order for a Lucio torch with Carlisle. I did have to phone for prices though.

I chose the Lucio because it is ideal for soft glass, does not shock the glass as much as some torches, and is particularly good for larger pieces; but it can also do a thinner flame (I suspect not pinpoint though - small, but not tiny).

I can only compare it to a Hothead, a Minor and Mega-Minor, however, as those are the only torches I have used besides the Lucio.

dusty
2013-05-26, 12:48pm
I'm interested in a Hellcat. And if anyone could compare it to a Mid-Range, which is what I have now, I'd be grateful. I'm looking for a soft glass torch but with both the capacity to work small without using too much gas (which is why I like the Mini CC center flame) and the power to heat up large gathers quickly.

I love my Hellcat. It's very efficient for me, running the center-fire on concentrators and outer-fire on tanks. The tanks last a surprisingly long time.

I can't comment on a Mid-Range, except to say that I think a dual-stage torch is more efficient than a pair of torches.

Anne Londez
2013-05-27, 5:41am
Thanks. What would you say is the maximum size for a gather that can be comfortably made on a Hellcat ? By comfortably I mean within a reasonable timeframe, 10 min or so.

Anne Londez
2013-05-27, 6:03am
And another question : how does the Wildcat compare to a Hellcat ? And to a Lucio burner ? I'm mainly interested in making large soft glass gathers quickly.

ArtcoInc
2013-05-27, 1:58pm
The link I have to Carlisle's website leads me to a site where the torches are presented but I can't see any prices. Is there a new site ? Where am I supposed to go if I want to buy ? I must have been out of the loop for too long...

Carlisle supports their distributors (like us), but does sell direct too. We have the Hellcat, Wildcat, and the Mini-CC in stock (even if the Hellcat is not yet on our web site).

If you like the Mini-CC, you'll love the Hellcat. The Hellcat is a 2-stage torch with what is essentially the Mini-CC as the center fire. Plus, you can light up the outer fire when you need to heat up your large gathers.

And another question : how does the Wildcat compare to a Hellcat ? And to a Lucio burner ? I'm mainly interested in making large soft glass gathers quickly.

The Wildcat is a single-stage torch, with a single large flame. It would be comparable with your Mid-Range. You won't get the small flame out of it that you can with the Hellcat.

The Hellcat is a 2-stage torch. See above.

The Lucio burner is a large, soft flame. It is rather specialized, as it is aimed at those working in the Italian style, like Lucio Bubacco (for whom the torch was named).

Malcolm

Anne Londez
2013-05-28, 6:55am
Thanks Malcolm. Keeping in mind that I work only soft glass and like Carlisle torches in general (and that I already have a Mid-Range and would like something significantly more efficient), what would you recommend for making large paperweights ?

dusty
2013-05-28, 9:35am
For large soda-lime paperweights, depending on your oxygen/shop situation, I'd look at:

A larger torch, like a Mirage, Black Widow, or Bethlehem Champion. Nothing with a premix center, of course.
A smaller two-staged torch, like a Phantom, Sidewinder, or Hellcat, in combination with a larger, softer fire that requires no concentrated oxygen, like a desk-top glory hole or a Japanese KR-3 (to crossfire with).

If one of the latter looks appealing, you could just start with the torch and may find it's enough.

I'd also look into Schott pucks and a crucible kiln. If you're making soda-lime paperweights, they're just too sweet not to use.

For boro paperweights, I'd go with a GTT triple mix, Mirage+ or bust.

dusty
2013-05-28, 10:00am
Carlisle supports their distributors (like us), but does sell direct too. We have the Hellcat, Wildcat, and the Mini-CC in stock (even if the Hellcat is not yet on our web site).

Cool. When I called about getting my Mini CC repaired, they decided that buying a new one might be better than repairing, but didn't mention that they could sell me one, so I had assumed that they wouldn't. Well, that and the lack of pricing info or a shopping cart on their website.

Anne Londez
2013-05-28, 11:36am
Thanks Dusty, that's helpful. I'm not a big GTT fan though, had a Phantom in the past and sold it because I found the flame too agressive.

RIght now I'm leaning towards either a Bravo or a Black Widow but I'm worried about the oxygen consumption. Carlisle says 448 CFH oxy on the Black WIdow !

Oh and do you have recommendations re: small crucible kilns ?

dusty
2013-05-28, 11:45am
I wouldn't choose a Black Widow without liquid oxygen or one or more homefill units.

No recommendations - still on my to-buy-and-get-electricity-for list.

ArtcoInc
2013-05-28, 5:58pm
Thanks Malcolm. Keeping in mind that I work only soft glass and like Carlisle torches in general (and that I already have a Mid-Range and would like something significantly more efficient), what would you recommend for making large paperweights ?

How large is large? And, what's your budget?

Malcolm

Anne Londez
2013-05-29, 1:21am
I'd like to be able to make lentils between 12 and 15 cm large so I guess that means gathers around 3-4". And my budget is around 1000$.

istandalone24/7
2013-05-29, 3:09am
easy peasy. you already have the midrange. get the redmax upgrade kit.....it just replaces the bottom cannon.

you said you want something more efficient then the midrange. are you sure you just don't want more heat/larger flame? the midrange is pretty damn efficient, considering it sips oxy. the redmax, not so much, but it does have a wide flame.

Anne Londez
2013-05-29, 5:33am
Uhm, that's a thought. I love my midrange for sculptural work, it has the right kind of heat and a very stable gentle flame. It just takes me forever to make large gathers on it so what I mean by more efficient is just the ability to make lrger gathers quickly. I haven't bought a new torch for 7 years at least so I'm not really up to date on what's new, hence my questions.

istandalone24/7
2013-05-29, 5:59am
if you're looking for something that's easy on the oxy tank, redmax isn't it. it's a great torch, with lots of heat and is a workhorse, but it uses a LOT of oxygen.
you said you didn't like the phantom, but how about one of gtt's standard surface mix torches, like the scorpion?

LarryC
2013-05-29, 7:07am
Anne, In my experience what you are describing is actually a GTT triple mix. Versatile enough to be both the gentle flame torch your seeking as well as the raging hot flame for fast gathering.

Uhm, that's a thought. I love my midrange for sculptural work, it has the right kind of heat and a very stable gentle flame. It just takes me forever to make large gathers on it so what I mean by more efficient is just the ability to make lrger gathers quickly. I haven't bought a new torch for 7 years at least so I'm not really up to date on what's new, hence my questions.

artsyuno
2013-05-29, 7:06pm
If you love your mini cc, I bet you'd be happiest with a hellcat. You'd get the mini cc center fire with an outer fire for quicker melting of large gathers (and also useful for giving insurance heat to large beads or pendants).

Anne Londez
2013-05-30, 1:09am
That's really a difficult choice when you can't test the torches first hand.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Bravo or maybe the Hellcat. I just have no idea how they compare for larger pieces.

marcel
2013-05-30, 3:02am
The Hellcat or Bravo are both good torches it depends what you oxygen source is ;) i have a bravo with the centre fire hooked up to two 5 lpm Concentrators and the outer ring on tank :) i work with boro and it takes a while to empty my tank of oxygen. Oxygen is not cheap here too in the Netherlands blechh

Anne Londez
2013-05-30, 6:53am
I have two 5 lpm concentrators and I plan on buying another 10 lpm one. I also have tank for back-up, I just want to use it as little as possible.

artsyuno
2013-05-30, 8:15am
The Bravo and Hellcat are very different torches, even though they're probably in the same class of torches. The Bravo has a hot, aggressive, pointy center fire and the Hellcat has the softer, bushier mini cc center fire.

Anne Londez
2013-05-30, 9:30am
And what about the outer fire ? Are they comparable in terms of size and heat or is one more powerful ?

GlassAlias
2013-06-09, 12:10am
I would say the outerfire of the bravo is not overly aggressive. I find it to be on the softer side. Plenty hot though. 2" gathers with boro are possbile pretty quickly. I don't know about 4" soft glass though. That seems like a bit much to expect fast gather times for either torch. Cant comment much on the hellcat though...never used.