Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Torching while pregnant

Elisenda
2013-06-13, 2:23pm
My sister is considering joining a torching day while she is around 7 months pregnant. What would be your level of concern? She is particularly concerned about fumes, and the torching would be done probably ourdoors, with a fan in front to help pull fumes.

Would you be ok with it?

Lorraine Chandler
2013-06-13, 2:44pm
I would only be okay with it if she was wearing a respirator with a P100 filter. I really don't think one day would be really bad though. :)

SadiesJewels
2013-06-14, 12:20am
I don't think it would be a problem with a respirator, but... When I was pregnant I stopped all jewelry work (mainly silver at that time)...of course I was using it more than one day late in my pregnancy. But I am of the opinion " Why take the risk"?

bbisker
2013-06-14, 6:48am
We have a group that torches every Wednesday night. One of our member torched while pregnant. We have a ventilation system but she did not use a respirator. Best advice is to have her call her OB

ingetraud
2013-06-14, 7:43am
I wouldn't do it. Why take a chance?

Elisenda
2013-06-14, 10:01am
Her OB said they couldn't make a decision without knowing more about glasswork.

So I thought I'd ask the people who do know more about glass. :)

Thanks for the advice.

trickypixies_jewelry
2013-06-14, 4:17pm
I had stopped all torchwork when I was pregnant with my daughter, with the exception of taking a 2 day class with Leah Fairbanks that I had already enrolled for before I found out I was expecting. I was about 7-8 months along, and was working in a studio with excellent ventilation. I didn't think to wear a respirator at the time, and I gave birth to a wonderfully healthy baby girl. In my opinion, I honestly don't think she would be at too much risk working outside (with ventilation to boot) as long as she is careful, and maybe wants to wear a mask to be on the extra-safe side. It really should be fine... But don't quote me, I'm not a doctor! :)

Sue in Maine
2013-06-14, 6:10pm
I seriously doubt a one-day outdoor torching session would bother anything.

Just my thoughts and worth what was paid for them!

Sue

BellaBean
2013-06-15, 3:35am
My OB have me the green light to torch throughout both of my pregnancies as long as the place had adequate ventilation (no respirator was needed). It was fine, except my belly got in the way a bit because I couldn't get as close to the bench as I wanted.

glvz
2013-06-18, 5:01pm
Just came across this-

http://www.helenvanekdesign.co.uk/page_2632383.html

Georgia

flame n fuse
2013-06-19, 3:25pm
thanks for this excellent link, a good and informative read. It's worth pointing out that cooking in the kitchen on gas also produces oxides of nitrogen etc, for example see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1740176/