Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Downdraft kitchen ventilation?

KelCorn
2013-07-25, 9:31pm
Hi,
I got a 600 CFM downdraft kitchen vent, it is the type that raises up behind the burners when you turn it on. It was a special order return for
$50 I thought I would use it for my soldering area but as I look at it I wonder if I could use it for my lampwork torch (Bobcat) too. Has anyone tried this would it work?

Thank you
Kelli in AK

spotty dots
2013-08-08, 6:55pm
I've never seen it in situ but have seen operation videos and to me it looks like the bees knees!!

Dreamsincolor
2013-08-14, 8:14pm
There's always the smoke test...

Andrea

28676bhe
2013-08-15, 10:49am
I had a Jenn Air range eons ago, and they are famous for their down draft systems. It was absolutely my favorite "no smells in the house" unit. I would love to have one for my torch!

My test is to count how many bugs fly up the unit!

Alaska
2013-08-15, 2:06pm
Have a Jenn Air with the downdraft in the center and not impressed!!

It sucks the flame toward the center resulting in pans that are hot on one end and cooler on the other. If a 6 inch pot is used only some of the steam reaches the downdraft even when the fan is set on high.

The overall issue IMO is that for torch work, heat and fumes are hot and will rise. A downdraft system at table level would be less efficient in removing these than the standard hood. As suggested, try a smoke test at nose level and see if the smoke makes a rapid trip to the exhaust system.