Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Help! This studio will never be finished!!

ardecamp
2006-06-19, 10:41am
Hey there! I'm throwing out a cry for help to anyone who can give me direction on where to go from here. I'll try attaching photos to give you an idea of my set-up, as well. We've built a new garage/studio/guest house and I've got natural gas coming into the studio for my torch (a mini CC). I've also got an M-20 O2 concentrator. Now what? We're were at a soccer tournament all weekend and talked to two electricians who scared the crap out of us regarding flashbacks. Should I have a flashback arrestor attached to where the gas comes into the house? There is no one up here with this kind of set up, and apparently no one who knows what to do with this kind of set up. Any comments would be appreciated. I'm planning on stainless steel below the torch along with magnetized stainless panels for either side of the hood vent (600 cfm, by the way), and I'll open a window for air exchange.

I've just tried uploading the images. There are only two, so if more show up, ignore them, and if none show up, I'll be back. :)
Alison

DesertDreamer
2006-06-19, 11:15am
A flashback arrestor (normally used for propane tanks) will NOT work with standard household pressure, you'll get no flow whatsoever. There is a check valve available, but I can't remember who supplies it. I thought it was Carlisle, but I can't find it on their website. I'm using standard house pressure NG with a connection very similar to yours, no problem. Generally flashback is only an issue with premix torches, not surface mix.

Looks like a great start!

ardecamp
2006-06-19, 11:24am
Thanks for the feedback. My husband is actually more nervous about me blowing up the studio than I am, but now that I think about it, that might be because of his Mustang convertible that's in the garage right next to it. Hmmm... I had talked to Trina at Arrow Springs who basically said the same thing that you did about the problem with flashback. I think that most people around these parts (very northern Michigan) a) aren't used to lampworking and b) aren't used to surface mix torches. By the way, do you have any problems with the amount (or lack) of pressure with the natural gas?

Thanks again,
Alison

Laurie L
2006-06-19, 12:25pm
Lovely setup.....I would kill for something permanent like this !!! My set up right now is great but its ment to roll up and move every year as we do. I would love a NG set up aswell.

lainee733
2006-06-19, 12:30pm
my hubby who is in hvac, installed my ng in my studio. no flashback required on those low pressures. i run a nortel mid range on house pressures. no problem

ardecamp
2006-06-19, 1:03pm
You all are making me feel much, much better. Many thanks! Do you see anything that I'm missing or forgetting? I know to have a fire extinguisher before I start, but any suggestions are highly appreciated.
Alison

DesertDreamer
2006-06-19, 8:30pm
I'm running a Midrange too, with a premix on top. The only thing I cannot do, that I could do with propane and tanked oxygen, was to run the main burner and a larger premix tip on top. I CAN run the larger burner with a pinpoint or 7-hole tip with no problems (fantastic for detail work on a large piece).

I use an Onyx+ for oxygen, and I can melt 3/4" boro rod like a charm. It's not lightning fast like a Phantom, but I like to take my time with boro anyway. I LOVE having NG....it's cleaner, and always there!

ardecamp
2006-06-20, 6:18am
Good to know, Karen. I talked to Jim at Carlisle who recommends a fire check on the ng line. I'm also wondering about a flashback arrestor for the oxygen concentrator. I'm getting all sorts of different advice on that question. Anyone who wants to add their 2 cents' worth is more than welcome!
Alison

e. mort
2006-06-20, 8:32pm
I think you need to put up some kind of protection between your torch and the wall - something with a bit of airspace behind would be good, but even a piece of cement board would be better than nothing.

Eric

ardecamp
2006-06-21, 7:56am
Thanks, Eric, I hadn't even considered that. What would be the ideal material to put behind the torch?

RSimmons
2006-07-05, 12:00pm
I use a sheet metal curtain that hangs from the back of my exhaust hood. You could get a big square of galvanized sheet at HD or one of the Big Box stores and mount it on your wall with about an inch of air space behind it. That'll protect your wallboard surface from scorching and/or burning.

Robert

debkauz
2006-07-06, 9:47am
There is a ton of good information about safety on the ISGB website, or on Mike's ArtGlass Forum. http://www.artglassforum.com/forums/index.phpTHe new site that Dale is part of is also great. http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/index.php These guys are the guru's of safety and I would go to them for the information.
It's not that people here don't know about safety, because they DO. But Dale, Mike, Bill really are the gurus of safety for sure. www.isgb.org also has some great imformation in their archives as well as their current safety forum.

BTW, I LOVE it!

Dale M.
2006-07-11, 8:14am
I have been hearing of the low pressure device called either a "gas check" or fire check" that is supposedly used in place of "flashback arrestor" but as of this time I have only been able to find one the I-net.... I don't doubt more exist, its just that everybody that mentions them gives a reference that is not traceable to actual product....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=850#850

Dale

laserglass
2006-07-11, 10:21am
http://www.iigas.com/fba.htm