Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : My Patio Pyro Station!

cherylsart
2006-06-21, 7:43pm
Now that I figured out how to post pics, I thought you all might like to see my work area. It's out on the back porch with the dust, bugs, etc. Fun!

Cheryl

meadowesky
2006-06-21, 8:19pm
how do you deal with the wind? I was gonna have a temp spot outside so I could torch and watch my kid at the same time and just bring all my stuff out each day. but I was worried about the breeze.

Very cool by the way!

cherylsart
2006-06-21, 9:16pm
That white thing that's partly painted black is the outer shell of an old washing machine. My brother bolted it to the table. And if you notice that thing that looks like a curtain on the right edge, it's a garment rack with a table cloth taped around it to further block the wind. I also have a big corrugated cardboard box over the top that covers the front of the top and protrudes out on the sides. The cardboard is far enough away from the flame to not be a fire hazard but I still plan to replace it with something metal as soon as I can. Between all those things it's ok unless it's a really windy day. Now I just need a canopy for shade because I can only work after the sun goes over the building and casts shade on the porch. Where there's a will there's a way!!!

Cheryl

kentaymom
2006-06-22, 12:36pm
I like the idea of using the "shell" of a washing machine as a work station. All you would have to do is attach a vent hood to the top and you have a nice ventilation system complete with side baffles. Very clever!

cherylsart
2006-06-22, 12:51pm
Staci- I'm determined!!! It's actually open on top so it vents easily. It works!

Cheryl

DFS
2006-07-01, 8:39am
Cheryl,
I will have to post a picture of my outdoor studio. The one thing I have been concerned with is whether or not there is enough ventilation. Mine is much like yours. I fabricated a three sided PVC structure to hand a canvas curtain for the wind, and the top is open, but I have read so much here that I still wonder if that is enough ventilation. Any ideas?

Joyce

cherylsart
2006-07-05, 8:26am
I had to turn the table 90 degrees because the wind was coming down from overhead and blowing the fumes at me. I had a headache a few times. Since I've turned the table the air moves away from me pretty much all the time. I live in a windy area; there's almost no such thing as a still day here. If you don't have a natural breeze then you may have to put a fan behind you. Mike and Dale are the safety and ventilation gurus on this forum and if they don't chime in here you can always post a new thread to them. They'll tell you the right way to do it!

Cheryl

cherylsart
2006-07-05, 8:29am
Joyce, I just read your post again. I never thought of using pvc to make a frame for a windbreak. That's clever! If you can take a pic and post it I'd love to see it.

Cheryl

LadyCrow
2006-07-20, 4:41pm
I work in my garage and open both doors plus we have 3 fans going while I work. To block the breeze hubby made me a barrier using old swinging doors hinged together so that I can move it to where I need it. Shutters or folding closet doors would also work.The upside is that it has a it's own vents with it being slatted.