Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Red turns orange

glasser
2013-11-08, 7:58am
I have been looking for a glass that is bright red. Bought some Vetrofond. The rod is a larger diameter that most effetre. Is a pretty bright red. When used alone it stays a nice red color, but when using a pulled stringer on white it turns the most beautiful (not) color of orange. I was making some peppermint beads and now I have lovely orange and white beads. Not exactly Christmas-y.

Am I working it too hot? does this normally happen over white? Any suggestions for a red that stays true?

KJohn
2013-11-08, 9:54am
I've heard this can happen with several opaque reds, especially the lighter ones, when you use them as stringer. The suggestions were to encase with transparents, striking red as well as a few others. This will help keep the color intact. There was a thread on here somewhere, but I don't know if it was just mentioned or the topic. Try it out! I would love to see if that works. :)

glasser
2013-11-08, 11:21am
Thanks Kristin, I will try that this afternoon, will let you know! Thanks, Pam

silverlilly1
2013-11-08, 12:47pm
Have you tried effetre dark red?

MaryBeth
2013-11-08, 2:52pm
I find that I really love Effetre Red Purple as a Christmas red.

glasser
2013-11-09, 10:23am
I now have clear encased orange stringers, lol!
Melissa, I have used this, but it isn't as bright red as I want. Tends to actually get darker red for me.
Mary Beth is the Red purple bright red?

KJohn
2013-11-09, 12:25pm
Try striking red instead of clear. I might go try this as well.

MaryBeth
2013-11-10, 12:20pm
I now have clear encased orange stringers, lol!
Melissa, I have used this, but it isn't as bright red as I want. Tends to actually get darker red for me.
Mary Beth is the Red purple bright red?

Yes!

Lisi
2013-11-10, 1:50pm
The purple red is a cool red rather than a warm red, so pulling it into stringer it should be fine.

dehoffa
2013-11-10, 8:00pm
Have you tried Maraschino

Sheila D.
2013-11-10, 8:25pm
I find that I really love Effetre Red Purple as a Christmas red.

I agree...it's what I use for my peppermints.

glasser
2013-11-11, 6:42am
Thank you ladies that is what I needed to know. I have an order ready for Frantz and Maraschino is on there, will add some purple red too. This place and it's members are the best!