Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Pulling points

Cosmo
2006-11-16, 11:52am
I have seen a lot of people ask about pulling points recently. So, this is how I do it. Not the only way, but the way that works best for me. Oh, and pay no attention to how messy the shop is... :D

http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials/IMG_1564.jpg
http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials/IMG_1565.jpg

Start with the rod you want to pull a point from. This is 26mm diamter 4.0mm wall tubing. But the process is the same with any tubing. Make sure both ends of the tube are open.

http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials/IMG_1566.jpg
http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials/IMG_1567.jpg
http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials/IMG_1568.jpg

Using a wide, bushy flame, start heating a section of the point while rotating. It helps to angle the tube so a wider area gets hot.

http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials/IMG_1569.jpg

When the area gets soft and has a dull glow, take the tube out of the flame. Keep rotating. The mistake most people make is getting it too hot at this point. It doesn't take a lot of heat.

http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials/IMG_1570.jpg

Start pulling apart slowly until the glass sets up...

http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials/IMG_1571.jpg
http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials/IMG_1572.jpg
http://www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials/IMG_1573.jpg

...and then pull faster until the glass completely sets up and you can't pull any more.

At this point you can melt the thin handle in half, cut it in half or whatever. Just make sure you don't have both ends of the point melted shut.

evolvingBeau
2006-11-16, 12:22pm
I can add a few pointers here.. when you start with a whole length of tube find the middle and do what Chad did to split the tube ideally giving you two half lengths of tube, each with a "point". Then go from there, always pulling the point long enough to leave a nice handle/point on the remaining tube.
The thing that was most difficult for me at first was getting the points to be long enough without being too thin. If you have a heavy section with a weak point or are too rough when decorating it can break and any number of bad things can happen, from cutting your hand to losing the piece.. I've done both. I could just be a dope but this used to happen until I learned to pull the points properly.
Take your time heating up a section that is at least 2x the diameter of the tube (this varies depending on the wall thickness).
If the point turns slightly off center, you can gently heat the "shoulder" (where the glass transitions from tube to point) and adjust while turning, don't push or pull just gently adjust the axis..

rusticstudio
2006-11-16, 3:06pm
Thanks, Chad and Beau! I had the general idea, but it's always better to see something in action.

LAJ
2006-11-16, 3:17pm
I'd like to ask a question if I may, keep in mind I've never done this before...what do you do with the tube once you've pulled it? Can you make hollow beads out of it? If so, how do you finish off the holes?

Cosmo
2006-11-16, 7:09pm
You can do many things with it. You can make hollow beads out of it. Make goblet cups and feet, hollow scuplture, etc. Here (http://cosmoglassworks.com/tutorials/spoon.html) is one other thing I make with them. I've never posted it on here because I wasn't sure how it was looked upon on this board.

There are a couple ways to finish off the holes. The way I do it is to pull the point very thin and cut it with some disc nippers so it opens up, then flame polish it.

Deb Hopeful Journeys
2006-11-16, 7:14pm
Nice to see how to work Boro. Even though there might not be an interest in spoons for some, it is very cool to see you work Boro!

From a soft glass worker.

Cosmo
2006-11-16, 7:20pm
If you haven't seen my other tutorials, here are some other things to do with boro...

www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials

Deb Hopeful Journeys
2006-11-16, 7:28pm
BTW, weren't you opening a new store?

Would love to hear an update. Hope it is going better anyway!

angie4680
2006-11-16, 8:46pm
Chad, Sweet spoon dude! Nice tut!

Cosmo
2006-11-17, 6:37am
BTW, weren't you opening a new store?

Would love to hear an update. Hope it is going better anyway!

Yep. We hope to be open by the end of the year. We're just waiting on some money to come in. We have the space rented, but it's empty right now. Once we get some money we're going to start putting things in there...

Emily
2006-11-17, 9:14am
One of the things I found difficult was learning to rotate without stopping. Beadmakers think we rotate continuously, but we don't. We turn the mandrel until our thumb reaches the end of our fingers, then reposition, then start again. Learning to turn two hands independently so that the glass kept moving all the time, evenly, even when it got mooshy in the middle, wasn't easy -- particularly because people seem to use different hand positions to do it, and lots of them are convinced that their positions are the ONLY POSSIBLE CORRECT ONES, even though their positions aren't the same.

A friend told me that he's been having much more success with points lately after a teacher told him to handle them "like feathers." The gentle touch works for him, I guess.

Palestrina
2006-11-17, 11:18am
Chad.. excellent tut! Thank you!

You guys are um... kidding about the "spoons" right?

hulagirl
2006-11-17, 11:24am
Is that what I think it is, Cosmo?:oops:

I started out thinking it was a bottle stopper...O:)

chayes
2006-11-17, 11:30am
Since we're showing tutorials, ya can do this with boro also http://www.glassartists.org/Gal20056_Implosion_rmilli_demo.asp

Cosmo
2006-11-18, 7:31am
A spoon is the type of piece being made. So called because it's shaped like a spoon.

Tink
2006-11-18, 8:37am
One of the things I found difficult was learning to rotate without stopping. Beadmakers think we rotate continuously, but we don't. We turn the mandrel until our thumb reaches the end of our fingers, then reposition, then start again.

This is an extremely important thing (turning smoothly, non-stop, evenly) in our vessel classes, and probably the hardest thing for folks to do.

Nice tut, Chad!

PaulaD
2006-11-18, 7:29pm
Chad How cool. Especially the spoon!

Paula

PondRacer
2006-11-18, 9:26pm
Ah, nice. :)

Too bad this kind of stuff won't work on a hot head torch (because the flame is too small/too cool for it). :)

I'm sure it'll work on a Lynx or Cheetah.

PondRacer

Cosmo
2006-11-20, 7:49am
One of the things I found difficult was learning to rotate without stopping.

The best way to learn that is to rotate with both hands. To practice, take cool rod of glass at least 12" long, and hold it in both hands with your hands at the end. When you are rotating a bead on a mandrel, you spin it as far as you can, then pause, move your thumb back down, and start rotating again. When rotating with both hands, when you get to the point where you have rotated as far as you can, rotate with the other hand while you are moving your thumb back into position. That way you are constantly alternating between rotating with your left then your right hand, and you are creating a smooth rotation.

Hope that's not too confusing. This is something that's much easier to show than to try to describe with words.

lavendar420
2006-11-28, 12:44pm
After many months of neglecting my box o boro in favor of soft glass, I pulled a bunch of points to make glass ornaments on sunday & had a blast. I wish I could try that spoon... the studio I rent torch time is too family friendly for such items, alas.

Ornaments are really easy, you just decorate your point, then heat it up evenly (carefull not to heat the neck or shoulder where the handle is) while rotating, then blow a nice bubble. Cut the stem/handle off later when its cooled or annealead, & attach a typical ornament "hat" & hook. These really impress the grand parents as gifts!

Question about the spoon though, in case I ever get to try one... when you're blowing out the carb hole in the side, do you have to plug the hole in the bowl temporarily? I would expect the air to go out that hole instead of blowing out a new hole...

Cosmo
2006-11-28, 12:56pm
Nope. You don't have to. Some people do, but I don't. Get it really hot first, and it will blow out just fine.

meadowesky
2006-11-30, 12:28pm
thanks for the tut Chad! hopefully someday I will be able to do boro :)

playswithfire104
2006-11-30, 6:07pm
Man, now I REALLY want that 2nd concentrator and some boro!

Bubbyanne
2006-12-01, 9:16pm
Fascinating!
Thanks for being so generous and sharing your knowledge Chad.
Some day I'll get some boro, glasses, and time!

FourTailsLampwork
2006-12-12, 8:51am
Nice tutorials! Question: what would you use a spoon that heavy for?

Cosmo
2006-12-12, 9:08am
Nice tutorials! Question: what would you use a spoon that heavy for?

I just make them. People can use them however they see fit...

:D

FourTailsLampwork
2006-12-12, 9:15am
Might be nice for a decorative set for the kitchen; I have an elderly aunt who is VERY hard to buy for and those look pretty.

Emily
2006-12-12, 9:59am
It's not an actual spoon. I believe it's a type of pipe called a spoon because of the shape.

Bunyip
2006-12-15, 6:03am
Nice Tutorial Cosmo, thanks!

Mincot: Does your elderly aunt suffer from glaucoma, loss of appetite, arthritis or other pain, or is she undergoing chemotherapy or other harsh drug treatments? Does she live in Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, or Washington? If so, this spoon may be just the thing for her!

:)

Over the Moon
2006-12-16, 12:08pm

Mincot: Does your elderly aunt suffer from glaucoma, loss of appetite, arthritis or other pain, or is she undergoing chemotherapy or other harsh drug treatments? Does she live in Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, or Washington? If so, this spoon may be just the thing for her!

:grin: Nice tute Chad...:love:

timipi
2006-12-17, 3:53am
New to this site. Been doing lampwork beads on a hot head for several years now. I watched Chad's tutorial, fascintated by his work and reading everyone else's comments about his nice "tut". I figured it's been a long time since I partied and the lingo must've changed some over the years...until it hit me that a "tut" doesn't have anything to do with a pipe or a spoon! :lol: Today I enjoy the craftsmanship of the pipe...back in the day, I'd have really enjoyed it! Thanks, Chad

Cosmo
2006-12-18, 9:46am
New to this site. Been doing lampwork beads on a hot head for several years now. I watched Chad's tutorial, fascintated by his work and reading everyone else's comments about his nice "tut". I figured it's been a long time since I partied and the lingo must've changed some over the years...until it hit me that a "tut" doesn't have anything to do with a pipe or a spoon! :lol: Today I enjoy the craftsmanship of the pipe...back in the day, I'd have really enjoyed it! Thanks, Chad

Hey, I know you!

Glad to see you finally made it over here!

ChristyPhelps
2007-01-22, 7:55pm

Now that there's funny, I don't care who you are!

LAG
2007-01-23, 9:01am
You guys quit picking on Mincot.. Why couldn't someone make a "regular" kitchen spoon out of boro? Challenge anyone?

This thread has been kinda fun to read.. I was waiting to see how Chad tried to get around this one!! Too funny. A lot of drug paraphenalia are real pieces of art and sell just as that... pieces of art! I had a friend and neighbor that does "glass art" actually show me how to make one of these just for the technique. Threw me a curve when he started talking about carberators (sp). LOL I have yet to do it though. I want to do hollow beads and ornaments.....

Awesome tut, Chad and thanks for the input Beau and everyone else...

Curly Irish Girl
2007-01-23, 10:37pm
Hey Cosmo.....don't get that awesome auburn beard caught in the flame!

Bunyip
2007-01-25, 2:41pm
I've had several pipe requests - and not for any questionable use either. People collect the things. I tell them I'm not set up for that because I'm not real interested making them for others given the current legal climate... I've had some fun trying the tutorial however... :) It's challenging (but possible) on a minor burner!

Cosmo
2007-01-26, 8:33am
You guys quit picking on Mincot.. Why couldn't someone make a "regular" kitchen spoon out of boro? Challenge anyone?

This thread has been kinda fun to read.. I was waiting to see how Chad tried to get around this one!! Too funny. A lot of drug paraphenalia are real pieces of art and sell just as that... pieces of art! I had a friend and neighbor that does "glass art" actually show me how to make one of these just for the technique. Threw me a curve when he started talking about carberators (sp). LOL I have yet to do it though. I want to do hollow beads and ornaments.....

Awesome tut, Chad and thanks for the input Beau and everyone else...

I'm not trying to get around anything. I make pipes. They pay the bills. I don't care what they do with them after they get them.

Toni L.
2007-01-26, 11:52am
Hey Chad - Thanks for that tut! somehow I missed it first time around, so I'm glad it got bumped. I have tried a couple of times from some written directions I found at thegldg, but the visual helps a ton! I think I know what I've been doing wrong now...will be giving it another shot this weekend. I don't personally indulge (I met my lifetime quota at a very young age :) ) but have a couple of friends who keep bugging me, and now maybe I can deliver!
Thanks again!! :D
Toni

Cosmo
2007-01-30, 8:48am
Hey Chad - Thanks for that tut! somehow I missed it first time around, so I'm glad it got bumped. I have tried a couple of times from some written directions I found at thegldg, but the visual helps a ton! I think I know what I've been doing wrong now...will be giving it another shot this weekend. I don't personally indulge (I met my lifetime quota at a very young age :) ) but have a couple of friends who keep bugging me, and now maybe I can deliver!
Thanks again!! :D
Toni

I don't smoke anything at all. Legal or otherwise. I have never smoked cigarettes (watching two family members die of lung cancer from smoking will do that) and I haven't smoked other things for at least 10 years. I quit when I started playing pro hockey because of drug tests. I haven't picked it back up since then.

Ironic that I make pipes, huh?

PaulaD
2007-01-30, 11:49am
I think they are cool and I don't smoke anything either!!

Paula

Toni L.
2007-02-01, 4:31pm
... I started playing pro hockey...
Ironic that I make pipes, huh?

I had no idea you played pro! Very cool. Who did you play for? I quickly became a huge hockey fan when I married my ex - spent about 5 years breathing NHL, and a little IHL too! Season tickets to the Ducks (quit laughing) and then LOTS of killer seats at the new staples center with company tix. I travelled a lot for one job and made it a point to get tickets to a game in whatever cities I could...I even went by myself in Chicago since everyone flaked out.

Kinda funny story - I started collecting jerseys and got myself a San Francisco Spiders IHL jersey. Just last year I saw them all in my closet and checked out ebay - I got $200 for that dang thing!

Oh, and yeah, kinda ironic on the pipe thing, but I bet they help pay the bills, huh?? :)

I'm going to have to see if I can find my favorite picture of me and Teemu Selanne. :love:

8)
toni

Cosmo
2007-02-05, 12:43pm
I played in the ECHL. They were the Roanoke Rampage the year I played. I broke both bones in my lower left leg and that ended my pro career. I was never really fast enough to be a "speedster" and I was never really a goal-scorer. I was mainly a fighter. So, lower leagues were about as high as I could go anyways.

Gwood
2007-06-16, 7:57pm
You show how to pull the point away from the end but how do you get the point on the end? Or do you just melt the end closed?

murf
2007-06-17, 9:40pm
Just another great tutorial Chad

Cosmo
2007-06-18, 11:17am
You show how to pull the point away from the end but how do you get the point on the end? Or do you just melt the end closed?

Just melt it closed. Heat and rotate.

Gwood
2007-06-18, 5:14pm
Thank you

You are always the best, and your help is gratefully appreciated.

Gloria

murf
2007-06-18, 11:08pm
in you tutorial you state you use 25.4mm Simax tubing, what wall thickness? I plan on giving this a try,and need to place a order for some tube. is a Lynx able to pull this off?
thanks
Murf

murf
2007-06-18, 11:09pm
ooooppps, i see it on your tutorial(the wall thickness) sorry got excited
Murphy

Cosmo
2007-06-20, 9:33am
I have done plenty of them on a Minor, so on a Lynx it should be no problem. Of course, that is not the only diameter you can use. I use 22, 26, 32, and various other sizes as well.

Olimpia
2008-10-27, 2:42pm
I can't see the pictures in this tut. Is it gone forever? :-(

patienthand
2008-10-27, 3:14pm
I dindt see them either, but I will cover pulling points with pictures in my upcomming tutorial on blown christmas ornaments. I didnt read the whole thread, but a good pointer is.... before you ever start to pull,, make sure you are turning true and on center. take your time.

Candice

Olimpia
2008-10-27, 5:28pm
Why thanks!
I'll keep my eye open for the tut!

Cosmo
2008-10-27, 6:22pm
I can't see the pictures in this tut. Is it gone forever? :-(

No. Not gone forever. I'm working on redesigning my site right now...

jeepinwelch
2008-10-29, 8:01am
No. Not gone forever. I'm working on redesigning my site right now...

Thank goodness! I remembered your tut on vortex designs and decided I wanted to try it. When I went back to the post the pictures were gone! I'm still going to try it and hope I remember enough.

Sharon Abood
2008-10-29, 5:28pm
Cosmo, where did the pictures go? I would love to see them since I am such a visual learner.

Jaterwunky
2008-10-29, 8:17pm
Cosmo..... oh cosmo.......
Where are the pics, oh Cosmo god of TUTS...
Okay enough of the arse kissing lets see some pics......
He-He
Deb

valjean
2008-11-01, 4:01pm
Me Too....
Where Oh Where have the Photos all Gone?
I need photos..........Valerie

Art of Hand
2008-11-02, 3:20am
same here.

gülperi
2008-11-05, 7:11am
I think the photos were on his website, which (he said) is redesigning, so we can't see the pictures.

Lizabeads
2008-11-09, 2:15am
Did you try the link to his website?

I gotta comment on the fighting part!! I thought that is what they all did! :biggrin:
I played in the ECHL. I was mainly a fighter. So, lower leagues were about as high as I could go anyways.

Cosmo
2008-11-22, 6:17pm
Redesigning my web site (which is where the pics were hosted). Once I'm done they'll be back....

Beckah
2008-11-24, 9:13am
I think I'm beginning to get the "how" of pulling points but I'm very unclear as to "why" and "when" someone would want to pull points. Can anyone explain under what circumstances someone would want to pull points?

Elegance_1
2008-11-26, 8:04am
Holiday Ornaments, Inside out beads.... I know there's more but these two came to mide quickly.

Beckah
2008-11-26, 9:26am
I see "pulling points" in tutorials and I purchased the Ornament tutorial where Candice does an excellent job of explaining how to pull them. But I'm trying to figure out the underlying reason why. Does it come from the fact that larger diameter tubing needs to be made smaller at one end to be more effective in the blowing? So if I'm starting with small diameter tubing -- say 8mm -- would I even need to pull a point?

evolvingBeau
2008-11-26, 10:36am
Usually not necessary with diameters that small.. When you get up past 15mm it really isn't as practical to work off of the end of the whole tube.
Smaller dia. handle(s) to turn with = better control and managability. The narrowed ends of a point also create a pre-necked configuration that allows you to more precicely shape the glass between the points. Eg. blowing a perfect sphere between point handles is ideal, where as doing it on the end or middle of large diameter tube is going to create several problems and limit the results.

In my world just about every blown piece starts with a pulled point. The only thing that comes to mind that doesn't is a coil-potted bead that gets coiled from the end of a 9-12mm tube.
In some situations like heavier blown pieces that may exceed the strength of a pulled point, it's applicable to attach smaller tube to a section of larger tube for use as a blowtube/handle.