Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Boro bulk buy anyone?

Cosmo
2006-06-29, 7:11am
With so many more people working in boro these days, I was wondering if it would be beneficial to do a bulk buy on some boro. You would have to buy at least a quarter pound of color, but it would be cheaper than buying it from the standard sources. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll start an "official" thread in the Bulk Buy forum.

Alternately, if there is interest, I can put together some "sample sets" of boro color. One full size rod of a certain number of colors. Maybe ten striking colors, a couple rods of clear, a couple colors of frit, etc. I'd have to figure out the details, but I thought I'd throw it out there before I went too far with it, just in case people weren't interested...

suzanne
2006-06-29, 8:47am
yes yes yes yes yes yes....did I mention YES???

I'd be very interested !

Toni L.
2006-06-29, 9:25am
Hi Chad - I would definitely be interested! I'll keep my eyes open for more info
8)
toni

e. mort
2006-06-29, 9:50am
Hey Chad,

If we can get a decent discount then I am definitely in! I have been holding off until I had enough to do the 5-10 lb level. I am also interested in picking up 4 oz packages of a bunch of frits. Are you going to do frits as well?

Eric

Cosmo
2006-06-29, 9:53am
I can do frits too. I'll look into all the pricing and everything and see if I can get something together early next week.

Phoenix
2006-06-29, 9:57am
I'd love to try boro with my newly arrived torch (don't get excited, it's a mini cc- but I'm still game) and would be very interested- I'd love to see you get this together!

RuskinDesigns
2006-06-29, 9:59am
Me Me Me!!!!!! And Frits!!!!

Cosmo
2006-06-29, 10:06am
I'd love to try boro with my newly arrived torch (don't get excited, it's a mini cc- but I'm still game) and would be very interested- I'd love to see you get this together!

Nothing wrong with that. I'm teaching my boro pendant class at BeadFest on Mini CC's...

e. mort
2006-06-29, 10:09am
Thanks Chad!

I don't know if this information helps at this point, but I just went over my wish list and I think I am looking at about 4 lbs in 1/4 lb increments of rod, and about 4 lbs in 1/4 lbs increments of frit. I am looking for Northstar, Momka, Elvis, and Glass Alchemy rod, and Northstar and Glass Alchemy frit.

I am also looking for the little 3mm clear rod.

Eric

Cosmo
2006-06-29, 10:41am
Sounds good. I'm not sure how much Momka my distributor has. I'll have to check on that. All the rest I can get no problem.

I'm going through and getting all the prices together now.

Cosmo
2006-06-29, 12:14pm
Doesn't look like I'll be able to get Momka's right now. I can get it directly from them, but I have to make an initial order of 100 lbs. Of course, if I get people that want 100 lbs of their glass, I'll be glad to do it. But I don't have that much to put out up front.

valerie_folly
2006-06-29, 4:07pm
What will the discounts be? I'd order about 3 - 4 lbs and some frits it I can get quarter pounds of glass. In fact I have my shopping cart full already at Mountain Glass web site! I'll hold off until I hear more.

e. mort
2006-06-29, 4:48pm
Bummer on the Momka. That is about 2 lbs of what I need. However, I still need the other stuff, so I am still in.

Eric

kentaymom
2006-06-29, 6:49pm
I'd be interested too!

Karen Hardy
2006-06-29, 6:59pm
count me in!

Karen Hardy
2006-06-29, 7:39pm
Put it out there - I'll help you get towards that total, if you want to do a separate buy on Momkas (eric'll take up the slack, won't ya?)

Doesn't look like I'll be able to get Momka's right now. I can get it directly from them, but I have to make an initial order of 100 lbs. Of course, if I get people that want 100 lbs of their glass, I'll be glad to do it. But I don't have that much to put out up front.

gennym
2006-06-29, 9:46pm
I'd like to join you in the buy. Could we get a variety of colors or would we have to pick some basics? I was about to begin making my own frit (on my way to Victoria BC to get the frit crusher this week) but would think about buying some as well. I use everyone's glass but right now am probably using mostly light colors from GA and Elvis (light).

suzanne
2006-06-30, 2:56am

Let me talk to a friend of mine, she owns a glas store and might be interested in purchasing boro. I can not make any promises , but I can give it a try and see if she wants to buy

I'll talk to a couple of my dutch buddies and see if they would be interested to join as well, they will join through me to keep it all simple for everyone

burntfingers
2006-06-30, 5:09am
Count me in too!!

Cosmo
2006-06-30, 6:12am
Yeah, if I can get enough together to get 100 pounds of Momka's, I'll be glad to do it. Plus, once I buy that, I don't have a minimum order from then on, so I can start carrying it here in my store.

I'm getting together a color list right now for what is available. I should have it done by Monday.

e. mort
2006-06-30, 6:28am
I can maybe do 3-4 lbs of Momka, so I don't think you can count on me to make up the extra there Karen. :lol: Anybody else need 96 lbs? :)

Eric

Cosmo
2006-06-30, 6:33am
I'm going to buy plenty for myself and to sell in my store, so I'm not necessarily looking to get people to buy the full 100 lbs. If I could afford it, I'd just buy the 100 lbs myself and then sell it. Alas, I don't have that kind of cash...

Cosmo
2006-06-30, 7:30am
Question about frit...

Would anyone be interested in 1LB jars of frit? Or is everyone just looking for the 4oz containers? I can do both, but I wasn't going to bother working up prices on the 1LB containers if nobody needed them.

RuskinDesigns
2006-06-30, 7:49am
One pound of frit is a lot of frit - I would have to come up with some creative uses for that much :lol:

isellrejer
2006-06-30, 1:11pm
Count me in on the boro buy. I like all the companies, sooooooooooo just let me know. I like the 4 oz of frit best.

Jerri

ksglass
2006-06-30, 4:58pm
Me too, I'm interested! And I could use a pound of just clear frit! That is a staple in my house....I have resorted to crushing the shorts of clear I go through it so fast.;)

e. mort
2006-06-30, 8:06pm
4 oz frits are fine with me. :)

Eric

suzanne
2006-06-30, 11:47pm
I just talked to my friend who owns the store but at this monent she is not interested in doing a boro bulk buy. I do have three or four other people who'd like to join in on this. 4 oz sounds great, but I could also use 1lb clear:D

Karen Hardy
2006-07-01, 8:36am
I actually DO need the 1 lb jars of frit. Several of them. Gimmee pricing and I'll see what the old bank account can handle.

CarolinaDreamDesigns
2006-07-03, 5:49am
Depending on the discount, I could definately be interested - esp the Momka's! I was just looking at an order ....

thanks -

Martha

JJ Blue
2006-07-03, 6:11am
Hi, I am interested in clear, frit and colours. and Momka, I am just rather curious how it would work? I am in Arizona

Cosmo
2006-07-03, 6:22am
Just wanted to tell everyone it's going to be a few more days until I get all the details together. I forgot we had to go out of town for the 4th. I hope to have everything together by the end of the week.

DreamMuse
2006-07-03, 8:05am
Oooh, I just worked with boro for the first time this past weekend, and now I'm dying to get a little!! LOL What great timing!

I'm interested in a sampler pack, plus 1/2 pound of the colors I already know I like, plus some clear. Oh, and maybe some frit! Man, I'd better start putting that list together LOL

e. mort
2006-07-03, 9:45am
Just wanted to tell everyone it's going to be a few more days until I get all the details together. I forgot we had to go out of town for the 4th. I hope to have everything together by the end of the week.

Oh, sure, you just know that the longer you wait the bigger my list will grow, right? I am on to you now dude. :lol: (I actually did add 2 more colors to my list today.) :lol:

suzanne
2006-07-03, 1:58pm
I hope I don;t sound too stupid, but am I supposed to just make a list and publish it here with the stuff I want, or are we still waiting for prices and all?

Cosmo
2006-07-04, 7:46am
I hope I don;t sound too stupid, but am I supposed to just make a list and publish it here with the stuff I want, or are we still waiting for prices and all?

No, once I get all the prices together, I'll post an "official" thread in the Bulk Buy area of the Garage Sale. I'll post here to let everyone know it's up. I'll have the prices for different colors of rods, frit, and clear posted there.

IF-Designs
2006-07-04, 7:51am
I might be interested in some of that :) Especially if we could get in on not only some gA or NS, but Precision or Momka.

CarolinaDreamDesigns
2006-07-04, 6:40pm
hmmmm who does what with clear boro frit - give pictures please??

thanks!!

Martha

Cosmo
2006-07-05, 5:15am
I might be interested in some of that :) Especially if we could get in on not only some gA or NS, but Precision or Momka.

Precision I can do. I'm still working on Momka. I've personally never used any, but when I talked to the people at Momka, they were nice enough to send me a sample pack, so hopefully soon...

If I can get the 100 pound minimum order together, I'll be glad to do it. I'm still figuring out all the prices for this.

Cosmo
2006-07-05, 7:29am
Okay... clear question....

What sizes of clear are people interested in? Also, what brands? While I'd like to offer all the different sizes, I'm going to be buying it by the case, so I can't offer everything. I am going to get the most popular sizes, however.

DreamMuse
2006-07-05, 7:38am
Okay... clear question....

What sizes of clear are people interested in? Also, what brands?

I'm currently working small, so I prefer smaller rods. The regular 6mm rods, and 4mm rods are what I use most often, please! As to brands, I'll let the experts decide what the best brand is :)

RuskinDesigns
2006-07-05, 7:40am
I would like some 3mm clear - brand???? I am not fussy yet - I don't know enough to be fussy!! :) 6mm works also

suzanne
2006-07-05, 8:05am
6,4 and 3 mm is what I use most, so I'd like those sizes. I have a lot of bigger rods, but I don;t use them as much since I only make beads

Gail Joseph
2006-07-05, 8:32am
Count me in too! Don't know brands of clear, but I use 3, 6, 8 in clear, but can really use any size in between. I'd also be interested in 1 lb of clear frit. Thanks for looking into this!-Gail

gennym
2006-07-05, 6:32pm
I like to use the smallest rods of clear for encasing and for stringers - but use the medium sizes when I "paint" rods with color (and I use a lot of clear!).

IF-Designs
2006-07-05, 6:41pm
I use sizes 3mm, 5mm, 8mm and 10mm the most in the clear

Cosmo
2006-07-06, 5:17am
Here's my take on the different clear brands...

Kimble (Kimax) - Takes fume the best, and develops the most color from fuming. That's the only time I use it.

Simax - Works best for me when I need a large area of clear, like in a marble or lenses on pendants.

Schott - So expensive I never use it. But, supposedly it's the best

Pyrex - Don't like it. Boils easy, and discolors.

I can get all of them, though. But for the bulk buy, we'll have to decide on one brand.

Cosmo
2006-07-06, 10:58am
Well, I'm not sure about the clear now. I have to buy it by the case, so I don't know of a good way to price it for the bulk buy. I could do it by the piece, but the case of 3mm has 700 pieces in it, and unless people want a bunch of it, I'd end up losing money on it.

So, it looks like it may just be colored rods and frit. Would not being able to get clear keep anyone from doing it?

burntfingers
2006-07-06, 11:14am
Wouldn't keep me from it. Although, I go through 3mm clear rods like it's water, I'd probably get a bunch of that if other people would go in too.

RuskinDesigns
2006-07-06, 11:35am
I second the 3mm clear - I would get a pound or 2

Cosmo
2006-07-06, 1:41pm
Well, if a bunch of people need 3mm, I can probably do that. I know there are 700 rods in a case, so I don't know what that works out to pound-wide. I'll check on that.

e. mort
2006-07-06, 7:16pm
I can use 5 lbs of the 3mm.

suzanne
2006-07-06, 11:14pm
I could used a fair amount as wel, and so could my dutch friends. One of my friends is currently having her summerbreak in Florida, so the glass could be shipped to her place, saves a lot of money on shipping to the Netherlands. She will be for another six weeks so lot's of time left:)

Suzanne

Cosmo
2006-07-07, 5:15am
Okay. I'll see what I can do on the 3mm. I've never bought any since I can't find a use for it myself. What do you guys do with it?

suzanne
2006-07-07, 6:11am
I use it for zigzag encasing or thin encasing . I also use it to make narrow disc beads:)

Cosmo
2006-07-07, 7:16am
Okay. I think we'll probably do 3, 6, and 8mm rods of clear. Simax looks like the best deal. What I'll probably do is offer it by the piece. That way I won't have to get a case, break it apart to weigh it, etc. I can just sell it by the piece.

Look for the official thread by the end of the day...

e. mort
2006-07-07, 9:05am
I have a chart somewhere that tells how many pieces to the pound and how many pieces to the case. I will see if I can find it for you.

Eric

Cosmo
2006-07-07, 11:44am
Yeah. I know how many to the case. Just not how many to the pound. By the piece is probably easier anyways. I've been checking around at the online stores, and they all seem to sell it by the piece or by the case.

suzanne
2006-07-07, 1:39pm
I would also be in on this if we could only order colors, no problem at all

dla
2006-07-07, 2:17pm
Oh, I'm glad I didn't miss out on this one ! Please count me in too.
Debbie A.

Cosmo
2006-07-07, 3:53pm
I thought I was done asking questions, but I guess not... :D

There are over 300 different frits listed at my distributor. I don't know if I should go to the trouble getting prices on all of them, since there are many colors I've never seen anyone use.

So, I'm thinking maybe offering 20-30 popular frit colors (and clear). Would that be a problem for anyone?

RuskinDesigns
2006-07-07, 4:49pm
Whatever you put up will be fine. Put up what you would like to see in your shop.

CarolinaDreamDesigns
2006-07-07, 4:54pm
It all sounds good - whatever is easiest for you! As a boro newbie, I would have no idea what to get anyway!

:grin:

Martha

Jupiter
2006-07-08, 2:15am
I would love to get in on this too.
Judith

suzanne
2006-07-08, 3:16am
I thought I was done asking questions, but I guess not... :D

There are over 300 different frits listed at my distributor. I don't know if I should go to the trouble getting prices on all of them, since there are many colors I've never seen anyone use.

So, I'm thinking maybe offering 20-30 popular frit colors (and clear). Would that be a problem for anyone?

I'd rather have all 300...nah just kidding, do whatever works best for you:)

Cosmo
2006-07-08, 6:02am
I'd rather have all 300...nah just kidding, do whatever works best for you:)

Hey... you buy it, I'll get it for you! :D

Cosmo
2006-07-08, 6:05am
I'm still working out the details. I forgot we have friends coming in from out of town this weekend, so I'll post the finished bulk buy on Monday.

It looks like we're going to have to do 1/2 pound and full pounds in the rods. I don't think I'm going to be able to do 1/4 pound increments.

CarolinaDreamDesigns
2006-07-08, 6:43am
did you ever find out about the Momka's?

thanks -

Martha

suzanne
2006-07-08, 11:14am
See now that is the good thing about friends who want to be in on this as well, we'll just divide it:D

Cosmo
2006-07-09, 1:54pm
did you ever find out about the Momka's?

thanks -

Martha

I think I'm going to do a separate bulk buy for just Momka's. That way if we don't get enough to do the buy, I can just refund the money.

The Momka bulk buy should be posted later this week. The regular boro bulk buy will be posted tomorrow. I had hoped to do it today, but we've had a plumbing problem all weekend that we've been working on...

suzanne
2006-07-09, 2:05pm
you clogged the toilet again???? djeez......;)

Cosmo
2006-07-10, 5:54am
you clogged the toilet again???? djeez......;)

Ironically, yes... :oops:

IF-Designs
2006-07-10, 6:01am
SHeesh you Vegans! lol

Cosmo
2006-07-10, 10:59am
Okay... both the regular boro bulk buy and the Momka bulk buy will be up by the end of the day. I'm just going through and re-checking all the prices for the last time right now...

Cosmo
2006-07-10, 11:16am
Bulk buys are posted.

Boro Bulk Buy (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27132)
Momka Bulk Buy (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27133)

Any questions, feel free to ask. E-mail is the quickest way to reach me - chad@soleiletlune.com

e. mort
2006-07-10, 11:43am
Hey Chad,

Am I undestanding correctly that the glass won't be shipping until on or after august 12, 2006? If so, I don't know if I can wait that long, since I am really low on glass right now.

Thanks,

Eric

RuskinDesigns
2006-07-10, 12:39pm
That's kind of my feeling too. But there are things I can wait on so I will order something.

Cosmo
2006-07-10, 2:25pm
Well, if I get enough people wanting to go ahead and get some glass, I can move the date up. I figured I'd give it a little more time so people could plan their budget if they need to. But, if most of the participants want to get the glass sooner, I can do that. We'll give it a day or so and see what people think. Please feel free to post in here if you are ready to buy and would like the dealine pushed up, or if you'd rather wait. To be honest, it doesn't matter to me. And, if we have some that want it now, and some that want it later, I don't have any problem doing more than one buy.

gennym
2006-07-10, 10:14pm
I'm happy to do it now or later.

valerie_folly
2006-07-12, 6:56pm
anyone that is wanting 1/4 pounds and thus more variety wanting to split something? Even with double shipping, it would be worth it. Or better yet - someone live close to Charleston SC? LOL
I'm fine with doing it now or waiting, just let me know

RuskinDesigns
2006-07-13, 5:21am
I had to go ahead and order glass before this completed. I just couldn't hyperventilate for a month waiting any longer. Sorry - but if you go ahead I might order more.

Cosmo
2006-07-13, 7:39am
I had to go ahead and order glass before this completed. I just couldn't hyperventilate for a month waiting any longer. Sorry - but if you go ahead I might order more.

Well, like I said, if people want it before the deadline, I can move the deadline up. Majority rules...

When would be a good deadline for most of you? The 21st? That's next Friday.

Cosmo
2006-07-14, 7:46am
Just found out that the bulk buy prices weren't as competitive as I thought, so I went through and adjusted them. Those of you who have already paid are getting refunds on the difference.