Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Ever wrapped glass directly on threaded rod?

Anakin's Glass Eye
2005-08-08, 2:32pm
I'm working on some things and am wondering if anybody has ever wrapped glass directly on metal. I plan to try stainless steel and brass. Threaded.

I'm thinking that there may be cracking concerns because of the different materials in direct physical contact. Glass and metal will have different COEs and I'm thinking the metal will have a higher COE which means it will contract more than the glass as it cools. I'm going to set the annealer to soak and cool much longer than normal just to be safe.

Any engineers out there know the COE for brass or Type 308 stainless?

I'm just wondering if anybody has done this before and if there are any tricks that I have not thought of.

Thanks for your help.

coyotesfamily
2005-08-08, 4:08pm
i have heard that brass can get really really hot...but have not tried this. I look forward to other answers

EDIT: upon thinking about this I think it was tubing though not a threaded rod

loco
2005-08-08, 4:42pm
I have put it directly on copper wire, the wire softened in the kiln the bead cracked when I bent the wire.

I make cabinet knobs and use a threaded rod with an acorn nut on the end and a few regular nuts. I apply the glass directly to the nut area and have not had any break yet. I know they are used each day because there in my kitchen.

If you were hoping to unthread the glass from the rod, I don't beleive it will work.

Note: Use stainless steel nuts make sure they are not galvanized due to possible hazards. The metal has to be very hot for the glass to stick. The threaded rods should be steel and fairly long mine are about 10 inches. They will get warm but not hot.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

shawnette
2005-08-09, 1:18am
I'm working on some things and am wondering if anybody has ever wrapped glass directly on metal. I plan to try stainless steel and brass. Threaded.

Yep. You will not be able to remove the bead, but if that's not your objective, then no problem. I also tried threaded dipped, but I must havecoated too thickly because I didn't get the inside thread pattern. I'll have to try again with my new release recipe. I'll do it tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

I'm thinking that there may be cracking concerns because of the different materials in direct physical contact. Glass and metal will have different COEs and I'm thinking the metal will have a higher COE which means it will contract more than the glass as it cools. I'm going to set the annealer to soak and cool much longer than normal just to be safe.

Any engineers out there know the COE for brass or Type 308 stainless?

I'm just wondering if anybody has done this before and if there are any tricks that I have not thought of.

Thanks for your help.

I don't have a kiln, but mine didn't crack (yet). It's been about a month. weeks.