Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : organizing glass

Deb Hopeful Journeys
2006-07-02, 6:30pm
I have a question for those that have already set up their studio.

Do you mix Lausha, Moretti, etc together or do you seperate by manufacturer? I am trying to organize my glass and it is so confusing with all the different companies.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Deb in MN

crystalflipz
2006-07-02, 8:55pm
Deb,
I'm really anal when it comes to my glass, so I label each individual rod when I get it. I use both Bullseye and COE104 glass (Moretti, Lauscha, etc), so that way I can generally avoid a compatability issue caused by mixing up my rods. That said, I keep the Bullseye separate from the rest, but I don't separate the COE104 glasses into separate areas. I store my glass in either cut lengths of plastic fencing or cut PVC pipe, and each different color of glass is separate - if only I could be that organized with the rest of my house! LOL
Carol

Laurie L
2006-07-02, 11:52pm
I seperate by COE and then in each COE I seperate by color. I have dividers in each glass drawer with maybe 2 colors say blue (etc..) sometimes more or less depending on how much glass I have of one color, in each divided section. Each glass drwer has 12 divided areas. I wish I had a divided area for each color but I dont so they have to share.

I dont label each rod, but I do have each bundle loosly tied with an elastic and usually 2 rods labelled in each bundle. On my torch table I have seperate areas for each COE so they dont get mixed up. It hasnt been a problem yet because after a while you just get to know your glass and getting them mixed up usually isnt an issue.

Now frit is a different story. LOL

Kevan
2006-07-03, 12:02am
I just bought a couple of lbs. of Reichenbach and my DH will never be able to tell it apart from the 104. lol

I would lable each one, but I just don't have the time. He will just have to fend for himself

I put all the Italian glass together. I buy mostly Vetrofond now.

Cherine Perrin
2006-07-03, 2:20am
I use mostly 104 COE so I do not seperate that by manufacturer. In my glass rack I have each slot labeled with the name & # of the glass. If it is Moretti there is an M in front of the number and a V for Vetrofond..... I have some bullseye that I keep in a vase so I know not to mix it.

Just Nancy
2006-07-03, 6:15am
Mine's not all stored yet, but I do expect to keep it seperated so it is easier to order more. Right now the Lauscha is in the clear display and the Moretti is in several places. The Bullseye is in a metal tin, the boro is on one window sill, chech on another window, and the Satake a third. I've got to do something about that system. It's not a plan.

My biggest problem is what to do with the things I don't use each day. They rarely get returned where they started because sometimes I used just a little. Then the Moretti/Lauscha/Vetrofond get mixed.

Dawn
2006-07-03, 8:40am
get the tiny little office dots in different colors and just put on the glass when it comes in-one color for each coe and badda boom badda bing, it's a wonderful thing!

Dawn

Solana
2006-07-03, 8:46am
I mainly use 104 COE. I separate by color and in some cases manufacturer. I have a chart that shows which color is where, so I always know if it's Moretti black, Vetrofond black or Lauscha black. :)

Is it sad that I have a chart? :lol:

Flamekist
2006-07-03, 9:00am
I've got my Moretti in labeled PVC tubes in a rack and Vetrofond in tied and labeled bundles on top of the rack. Bullseye, Check Glass, and Pi Glass each have their own antique glass vase beside the rack. Boro samples are kept in a box on a shelf.

DesertDreamer
2006-07-03, 9:04am
I separate by COE (I use boro, 96 and 104) then by color.

I make sure one rod of each bundle/group has a label on it so I know what to reorder when I get low.

valerie_folly
2006-07-03, 4:43pm
I use fingernail polish on my boro clear to keep it separate from other clears. Boro goes in one organizer (shoe storage with round PVC) and the Moretti, Lauscha, mostly clear, and Vetrofond go in another organizer, separated by color. I need more Lauscha and Vetrofond (I see colors I'd love to try!) but I am running out of storage!!! I may need another organizer!
I have some BE in a separate storage container - I just can't get into using it.

BoniBell
2006-07-04, 7:51pm
I seperate by color, and location, but I only use Lauscha, Effetre and Vetrofond. To be sure I know what is what, I keep the rods in the original elastic or plastic sleeve. I take out the labeled one last and put the sticker in a little box. Then I reorder when I have enough to make the pound discount. Except super dense black. That color each rod is labled immediately. Wouldn't want to use it as regular black by mistake!!

I write the number and brand (E, V, or L) on each rod as I take it out, using a black sharpie on the light colors and a gold fine point marker on the dark colors. If the rod is large enough I write it on the circle/ cut end. That way it doesn't rub off and it lasts until the glass is the smallest bit. Other wise I write it as close to the cut end as possible. If you are worried about writing wearing off, you could write it on a piece of tape or bandaid or a yard sale dot on the end.

I also use cookie sheets to keep everything organized. A medium cookie sheet (also called a jelly roll cake pan) will hold 1 each of all the opaque Effetre regular colors, 1 for special colors, 1 for Effetre transparent, 1 for Lauscha opaque, 1 for Lauscha transparent. I also put my simple stringer on 1 sheet and multicased or vine stringer on another. They act like painters palettes when I'm working.

Just Nancy
2006-07-05, 6:12am
I write the number and brand (E, V, or L) on each rod as I take it out, using a black sharpie on the light colors and a gold fine point marker on the dark colors.
That's a great idea. Solves my biggest remaining problem. Thanks.

rainygrrl
2006-07-07, 7:50am
Originally Posted by BoniBell
I write the number and brand (E, V, or L) on each rod as I take it out, using a black sharpie on the light colors and a gold fine point marker on the dark colors.

Am I the only one who read "EVIL"? I think this is a wicked good idea! I even have a gold marker. Not that I'd ever think of this on my own... How sad is that? Thanks BoniBell.

I have storage tubes for COE 104 separate from COE 90, COE 96 lives in a drawer, and I just found an area for boro.

And, like Karla, I have a chart so I can put big pieces of rods back where they belong. I'd be disorganized immediately without it.

loopydo
2006-07-08, 6:00pm
I have a wide bowl filled with rice. When my glass comes in I dip the end (just the very tip) of each rod in green glass paint (can buy at the local craft store) for Moretti, Red paint for Bullseye, Purple for Gaffer. Then you just put the undipped end of the glass in the rice and let it dry. I really works nicely and has prevented me from picking up the wrong rod many times! A glass boquet is really a sight for a glass junkies eyes too!
Linda

bjcohan
2006-07-11, 1:26pm
I have a wide bowl filled with rice. When my glass comes in I dip the end (just the very tip) of each rod in green glass paint (can buy at the local craft store) for Moretti, Red paint for Bullseye, Purple for Gaffer. Then you just put the undipped end of the glass in the rice and let it dry. I really works nicely and has prevented me from picking up the wrong rod many times! A glass boquet is really a sight for a glass junkies eyes too!
Linda

My system is similar to this. Before I put new glass in my shelves, I color-code each rod by painting a dot of nail polish on the end. I buy all those strange shades of polish that I would never use on my nails, and put a P-Touch label on each bottle - boro, bullseye, check, vetrofond, moretti/effetre, satake, lauscha, etc. That way, when they're all over my workbench, I still know which is which.

On the shelves, I do keep boro separate. Everything else is sorted by color.
I keep most of my neutrals out of my shelving. Neutrals -- clear, white, ivory, dark ivory, and black -- are all stored upright in tall footed glasses on my bench, so I don't have far to go to reach them.

Once my studio is rebuilt, I'll post photos. Right now, everything is still stored away. :(

Barb

Crazy Woman
2006-07-12, 2:41pm
I currently use Moretti, Vetrofond, Lauscha, Czech, Bullseye and boro.
I use the small address labels and do a Word doc for each color ~ example: M036 Dk Aqua Trans for Moretti, V for Vetrofond.... well you get the picture... I label each rod before it gets stored. I have separate storage for each type of glass. Okay, so I'm anal when it comes to my glass. Don't ask about the rest of the house....

My 'studio' is only 8 x 10 with 6' desk for torch area facing the concrete block wall (storage for BE on the side), 6' of cabinet directly behind me with the kiln on it (also holds all findings, and boro). The end wall has 8' of cabinet for all kinds of storage. On top sits a big cabinet filled with downspout that holds my Moretti, Vetrofond and Lauscha.... well the overflow is in the cabinets. :grin: Czech is two big plastic containers in one of the cabinets.... There's a little leftover room for a path and chair.... That's it folks...;)

So where will all the new glass go that I bring home from the Gathering????

bclogan
2006-07-13, 6:27am
For the most part I mix my Moretti and Vetrofond in the same storage unit. I have separate slots for Ivory, Black, and the pastel Cobalts, since the "same" colors are so different between them. Then I have another storage unit for BE, although it's pretty empty at the moment. The handful of sample boro that I have is tied up in a rubberband and is stuck in a drawer. Works for me so far...

Hubby made the cabinets for me.

LadyCrow
2006-08-01, 10:09pm
The few bunches of glass I was able to buy came in plastic tubes,they are all the same COE 104. I have them seperated by color,blues in one,reds in another,purples and so forth I put trans. and op.rods together. I can only dream of having enough to worry about truly organizing them. I do have a few containers for the shorter pieces to go.Those are seperated into sizes as they get smaller.

suzanne
2006-08-02, 3:28am
I mainly use coe104 and have mixed those all together. I do seperate transparents and pastels, and have aranged them colorwhize ( from light to dark...now that is pathetic isn't it)
Karla no it's not stupid, I am thinking of a very cool colorchart myself:D

I do keep my bullseye and boro completely separated from my other stuff. I once encased a moretti bead with bullseye ( doesn't work) and a reichenbach bead with Simax....( doesn't work either)

There is a picture of my glassstorage in my little studio topic ( I just built a new studio three days ago so it still looks pretty good:D)