Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : WINNER!!! Best Husband Award!!!!

Ironmountain01
2006-07-04, 2:59pm
I think my DH took pity on my torching space that I've been sharing with tools, paint, and several nests of angry Texas red hornets:

Ironmountain01
2006-07-04, 3:02pm
I came home from work about four weeks ago to find this:\\:D/ \\:D/

Karen Hardy
2006-07-04, 3:10pm
He bought you a slab of concrete? ;-)

I take it this thread will be a "work in progress" as you new studio is being built?

Ironmountain01
2006-07-04, 3:18pm
Since then we've been working together to build....

Roseanne
2006-07-04, 3:56pm
What a man!! Can wait for updated pics!! Get crackin that whip girl;)

Ironmountain01
2006-07-04, 4:17pm
He bought you a slab of concrete? ;-)

I take it this thread will be a "work in progress" as you new studio is being built?
:P :P ROFL!!!!

Yup!!! A big slab o' 'crete!!:biggrin:

dogmaw
2006-07-04, 4:49pm
All right Leslie!!!

e. mort
2006-07-04, 5:55pm
Looks great. Just don't forget the A/C. :)

Eric (Austin heat and humidity...don't ya just love it?)

Karen Hardy
2006-07-04, 6:13pm
Looks SO cool! A new nice clean studio!
Three words of wisdom for you - storage, storage, storage. Think ahead
and plan a space for everything (and some spaces for stuff you didn't think about).

Karen, who just finished her studio - and already needs more storage.:biggrin:

Megan
2006-07-04, 6:13pm
So cool.. Definitely want to see updated pics.. I wish my hubby were handy.. LOL

Karen Hardy
2006-07-04, 6:16pm
Oh, if you're looking for a cool storage solution for a back wall (and from the photos you just may have room for it) may I recommend the expedit bookcase from ikea? dirt cheap, and the nooks are perfect for books, storage or (in my case) pvc pipes filled with glass.

http://tinyurl.com/rpagj (select the 72" version).

BoniBell
2006-07-04, 7:10pm
That is one of the most awesome gifts I've ever heard of getting. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Don't forget all the safety requirements. When I posted my pictures, people helped alot with pointing out what I needed to fix. You are going to be so happy.

Ironmountain01
2006-07-30, 12:41pm
It's comming along!!! WooHOO!!!!=D> =D>

one-eared pig
2006-07-30, 1:34pm
looks great!

Raven Wylder
2006-07-30, 2:01pm
Hi Leslie, your studio looks awesome! I'm so jealous - I'm still stuck in the garage. I was wondering what you're using to separate the glass in the bookcase? My glass is all over the place but the acrylic organizers are just to pricey - but the shoe organizers and separators look right up my alley.

Ironmountain01
2006-07-30, 3:10pm
I went to Target and got their ClosetMaid stuff. The shelves were $9.00 per set - I needed 5, the shoe shelves (for the frit) were also $9.00 - I used 2 sets, and the large shoe rack was $39 and the small one was $19. They were having a sale. You can also go to www.Target.com!!!:waving:

Renee T
2006-07-31, 1:23pm
Man, I thought that looked like Texas dirt! My GP's used to live at Lake Lanier, and I just went to my Nephew's wedding in Austin. Hope you're putting some a/c in there. THANK YOU for the tip on the Target shoe organizers. My glass collection has reached critical mass. I'm almost at the "what, am I crazy? I can't use all this!" stage, but quickly got over that...

I have a whole studio to lay out/construct in the basement - I'm at the "start to plan" stage. (am currently at a table in the breakfast room)

Renee T.
Marietta, GA
DogwoodGlassworks.com

River Horse Studio
2006-07-31, 1:48pm
Wow.. Leslie.. that looks great!

Couple of questions... I know that those are shoe racks.. (love em) but what did you put inside them to divide all the glass?

Also, how many square feet are your new digs?

Holly:wave:

Ironmountain01
2006-07-31, 8:15pm
The Bullseye, Reichenbach, Boro, Check, and Shampoo are in cut industrial light protector tubes. I used thin particle board for the Effetre, Lausha, Vetrofond, and Double Helix (larger rack). I'd like to convert that to tubing, too - much nicer.

The frit is devided by type - reactive, intense, blend, and by vendor then by colour. The enamel is by colour. All are in watchmaker cases. There are several smaller ones up higher. The bulk frit lives in jars a couple of shelves up. I kept the frit low so I could see it better from my chair. The frit that I use frequenty is on a shelf next to my torch.

The studio size is 12ft x 8ft (96sq ft), but the ceilings are sloping 8-9 ft, it has AC!!!!! and I love it!!!

robinbrown
2006-08-01, 8:29am
What a man!!!

Looks great...

FourTailsLampwork
2006-08-18, 6:13am
Hey, what about the sister thread? I can attest to the fact that this studio is WONDERFUL, and that my BIL is a VERY capable, handy, and caring guy. While I was there on my last visit we put up the interior wall (the inside has two spaces, one for yard tools and one room just for glass). L stained the floor a terracotta color, and found a jewel-toned mat to help keep all that Texas limestone from tracking inside. The walls are the same pale green as her house, and the main workbench is an old Army salvage desk that her husband had, complete with tiles glued on the top (the same as in the house.) And there IS AIRCONDITIONING!

There were still a few wasps--I was making baby beads one morning, and one wasp from the other side of the partition came buzzing in, drawn by the cool air. (The partition was not 100% finished at that time.) I shooed him out, and wound another bead ... and lo, in about ten minutes, in came another curious wasp. Stir, rinse, and repeat for about six wasps, but after that I have not heard a single buzz in there, or hadn't by the time I left for home.

Janetlee
2006-08-18, 6:38am
It looks wonderful. Aren't hubby's wonderful. I'm proud for you.
Janet

Ironmountain01
2006-08-18, 6:39pm
Hey, what about the sister thread? I can attest to the fact that this studio is WONDERFUL, and that my BIL is a VERY capable, handy, and caring guy. While I was there on my last visit we put up the interior wall (the inside has two spaces, one for yard tools and one room just for glass). L stained the floor a terracotta color, and found a jewel-toned mat to help keep all that Texas limestone from tracking inside. The walls are the same pale green as her house, and the main workbench is an old Army salvage desk that her husband had, complete with tiles glued on the top (the same as in the house.) And there IS AIRCONDITIONING!

There were still a few wasps--I was making baby beads one morning, and one wasp from the other side of the partition came buzzing in, drawn by the cool air. (The partition was not 100% finished at that time.) I shooed him out, and wound another bead ... and lo, in about ten minutes, in came another curious wasp. Stir, rinse, and repeat for about six wasps, but after that I have not heard a single buzz in there, or hadn't by the time I left for home.

LOL You should have met the red hornet that landed in my LAP in my old workshop!!!!!! I'll take the dizzy wasps!!!!:lol: