Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : distorted mandrel....

NBN GLASS
2006-07-09, 11:05am
what the heck did I do???? Day 2 making beads, all is going pretty well BUT it looks like I burnt the heck out of one mandrel end, approximately 5mm of it needs to be chopped off in order to get the bead off, am I working too close to the end of the mandrel...my guess??? Only killed 1 out of 30 so far!!!

Thanks again!!!
Brenda

nivedita
2006-07-09, 11:46am
Working too close to the flame will indeed, do it, as will too thin a coating of release{what kind are you using?] It simply does happen to them... i just keep lopping the tips off of mine...you mentioned having only 30... i buy mine buy the 1 # package of 3/32 {16 3' long rods} and 1/16 -36 3' long SS rods...... for about $ 9.00.......i just cut them to a length which suits me , give the end a quick sanding to smooth the tip, which tends to get flattened as it is cut...Burn 'em with abandon ! make more !

WWW.glassartists.org/niveditaPhoenixRising
WWW.theannealermagazine.com.

NBN GLASS
2006-07-09, 12:07pm
I am using Fusion Bead Separator, but my wonderings are too close too the end of the mandrel tip too??? Too close to torch, too close to the end tip of mandrel and maybe too thin of bead release...BUT the beads were coming off of mandrel nice last night. And YES, I've got a case of this silly mandrels coming in this week, I feel like a longgggggggg week coming, it's hard to be a newbie on the block!!
Thanks
Brenda

Emily
2006-07-09, 3:19pm
Hey, you'll probably burn completely through a few mandrels. Just try to make sure that if the bead falls off, it doesn't drop on YOU when it happens. With boro, you really need to keep an eye on the flame to make sure it stays on the glass and not on the mandrels. Doesn't take long to go through one.

suzanne
2006-07-09, 9:20pm
Oh burning through mandrells is scary the first couple of times! My boyfriend asked me if I was doing the happy dance when it first happened.... uh no.. trying to avoid HOTHOT glass:D

chayes
2006-07-09, 9:41pm
I've had mandrels melt in half before. I just fused it back together in the flame and finished the bead. Sometimes these things just happen.

NBN GLASS
2006-07-10, 9:19am
THANKS again everyone...day 3, no burnt, marred, distorted or melted mandrels!!!!! My beads are starting to look like beads and I want to thank you all for your kind answers again!!!!
Brenda

e. mort
2006-07-10, 3:01pm
Don't be afraid to post some pics. We were all beginners at one time, and as far as boro goes, I still am. :)

Eric

valerie_folly
2006-07-10, 4:56pm
I burn thru mandrels all toooo frequently. I never thought of more bead release ..........thanks for the tip! I was looking at a well known boro bead maker who says her beads are made on 1/16 mandrels. Anyone doing that? I was figuring it was an error cause on some pages of her sight she has 3/32 listed as all her bead holes.