Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Frontpage or Dreamweaver ? Why not both ?

murielduval
2006-07-23, 3:03pm
Good sunday all !

Wow, this is my first post and i'm really excited about it.

I'm working to build my own website and had started to learn a bit of dreamweaver. Having good knowledge of computers but none of HTML programming, I decided to switch to Frontpage which I find so much easier to do what I want.

Being concerned of my extensive use of frontpage after reading all the posts here, I was wondering what would happend if I created my website pages in frontpage and then open them in dreamweaver for clearing errors and finally saving them in Dreamweaver format in the end to make sure everyone could see them correctly.

Does it make sense ? Can I do that ? Will this resolve the errors of only using Frontpage ?

Thanks for reading !

Muriel

Margrieten
2006-07-23, 3:40pm
Hi Muriel,

I've build my website with IBM Websphere Studio Homepage and I find it a great program. It is cheap and very intuïtive. I think you can download a demo on the website from IBM.

Take a look here: http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/download/preconfig.jsp?id=2005-06-07+07%3A20%3A48.610697R&S_TACT=104CBW71&S_CMP=&s=

I love it. Good luck.

My site is http://www.stainedglass.nl

Sherri*S
2006-07-23, 4:25pm
Muriel,
Take it from one who has tried it - DONT create your pages in Frontpage and then try to edit them in Dreamweaver. AAGGGH. It will get very ugly, trust me ](*,) ](*,) . It will make a mess, and even if it doesn't "break" the page, it won't solve problems created by Frontpage.

You might want to find another program to use if you don't want to use Dreamweaver. But really, Dreamweaver is a great program, and there are lots of extensions that you can download from Macromedia (some free, some for a charge) and other sites that will help generate the code for the more complex stuff you may be looking for.

Gosh, if you've already done a lot of work on your site with Frontpage and can't or don't want to start again, I don't know what to recommend - hopefully someone who is a developer or webhost can give you better info. My *guess* is that if you are not going to try to integrate anything else into your site that Frontpage will conflict with ](*,), and as long as your webhost fully supports Frontpage extensions, you might be ok.

Blueflameart
2006-07-23, 6:34pm
Do yourself a favor and stick with Dreamweaver old or new version. The new version is awesome and does many many things. CSS sheets, PHP and bunch's of templates to get your started. Frontpage is and always will be a pos. I've been building sites now for a couple years and I've yet to have something come up in dreamweaver that I couldn't fix or read up, on the web, on how to fix it. I'm not a site builder master by any means but play one on TV 8) Be Blessed!

jokersdesign
2006-07-23, 6:54pm
Dreamweaver all the way.

Why spend twice the money when you only need dreamweaver.

villa design
2006-07-23, 9:08pm
I would use Dreamweaver too. It would be double the work going between the two programs.

murielduval
2006-07-24, 6:18am
Wow... Ok, I guess that's clear enough.

I thought of using Frontpage because it was so user-friendly for me in the first place being accustomed with Office suite. For dreamweaver, i would have to have a longer learning curve. But I want my website to be seen correctly by everyone and that's why I thought to build it in FP then save it in DW to correct anything bad.

Is it a fact that FP will screw up while seen in other browser or it's just if you use complicated functions or specialy some features ?

My guess is I'll go buy a dreamweaver for dummies...

Thanks everyone !

Muriel

Solana
2006-07-24, 7:48am
I agree with everyone else on FrontPage!

Friends don't let friends use FrontPage. :lol:

Seriously though, Dreamweaver is a good editor and you should stick with it if possible. :)

villa design
2006-07-24, 6:47pm
Friends don't let friends use FrontPage. :lol:

::snicker:: Karla that's bad. :)

danelady
2006-07-24, 7:21pm
Dreamweaver is wondferful...Frontpage sucks!!!:poke: Good sunday all !

Wow, this is my first post and i'm really excited about it.

I'm working to build my own website and had started to learn a bit of dreamweaver. Having good knowledge of computers but none of HTML programming, I decided to switch to Frontpage which I find so much easier to do what I want.

Being concerned of my extensive use of frontpage after reading all the posts here, I was wondering what would happend if I created my website pages in frontpage and then open them in dreamweaver for clearing errors and finally saving them in Dreamweaver format in the end to make sure everyone could see them correctly.

Does it make sense ? Can I do that ? Will this resolve the errors of only using Frontpage ?

Thanks for reading !

Muriel

danelady
2006-07-24, 7:25pm
LOL but it is TRUE! lol:koolaid: ::snicker:: Karla that's bad. :)

danelady
2006-07-24, 7:28pm
fRONTPAGe causes your website to fall apart in many browsers which are NOT MicrosoftWow... Ok, I guess that's clear enough.

I thought of using Frontpage because it was so user-friendly for me in the first place being accustomed with Office suite. For dreamweaver, i would have to have a longer learning curve. But I want my website to be seen correctly by everyone and that's why I thought to build it in FP then save it in DW to correct anything bad.

Is it a fact that FP will screw up while seen in other browser or it's just if you use complicated functions or specialy some features ?

My guess is I'll go buy a dreamweaver for dummies...

Thanks everyone !

Muriel

Solana
2006-07-24, 8:18pm
fRONTPAGe causes your website to fall apart in many browsers which are NOT Microsoft
Yep...it's sad that Dreamweaver has a command that called, "Clean up Word HTML" for both MS Word and FrontPage. :rolleyes: That's got to tell you something! :lol:

Cosmo
2006-07-25, 7:17am
Front Page is for people who want to do a very simple page with tools they are already familiar with. Its interface looks very similar to Word and other MS programs. But, Front Page's flaws are too numerous to mention.

I personally use Adobe GoLive, but I have used Dreamweaver quite extenisvely as well. Both work very well. And, since Adobe just bought Macromedia, I expect their next web design release to be a combination of GoLive and Dreamweaver.

meister1981
2006-07-30, 6:05am
I'd look into Adobe Golive or Dreamweaver like Cosmo said. I use Golive but the only bad side is you need a good machine to run it because it is very heavy on the processor and memory compared to dreamweaver.