happened. Is this correct? Today I have been reading the
forum and getting a bit scared with the stories of ventilation
and outside bottles. Hopefully this only applies to the folks
who use oxygen & propane or natural gas? Why are folks
who are doing this outside need even more ventilation? Is it
the glass its self burning or is it the fuel? Getting concerned
here! Thanks in advance.
Humble newbie

Actually your gentleman is quite wrong..... All the hazards for propane and LP gasses apply to Propylene also.... So if you are reading all the safety issues about fuel tanks needing to be outside and metallic piping and rubber fuel hoses just insert the word propylene in place of propane or MAPP gas and apply the advice found here and on other web sites on fuel gas safety whether using a hothead or a fuel/oxy torch....

FIRST and foremost rule... FUEL TANK OUTSIDE, PERIOD!

Also be sure you have adequate ventilation.... Same rules apply whether its a hothead torch or fuel/oxy torch.... Adequate ventilation is a must.

The pathetic thing is there are so many people out there teaching hot glass art that are not even near the main stream when it comes to teaching studio safety. Sounds as if your gentleman is still in the dark ages when it comes to studio safety.

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

Dale

Carolyn
2006-08-01, 9:23am
I have a bulk tank I work with - I'm in a workshop attached to a detached garage. My tank is OUTSIDE the garage and it runs off a 5 ft hose that comes in thru the wall. My husbadn drilled a hole inthe wall and we got a hose from WALE. Also propylene. There is a turn off at the torch and a turn off at the tank. Be sure you burn off the gas in the hose when you finish your session, so close off the tank first and let the torch burn itself out. Be sure to close the value at the torch when it is finished. Check your hoses regularly.

If you burn off the hose gas like you should be doing you KNOW that the torch burns for about a minute from the gas in the hose alone.

ANYTHING that burns produce nasty gases. Whether it is your stove or a torch. This is why you don't heat your house using your oven, you'd gas yourself.

And ventilation is a must. I have an open window in front of me, a fan above me to pull air and exhaust and we are still installing a hood. Can't be too safe!

PS - we also have a carbon monoxide alarm and a fire alarm installed in the room, and water (several water bottles) and fire extinguishers (2). All all those little MAPP gas bottles and fuel for camping etc are all stored in another part of the building. NOT near the torch where they could get hit by flying hot glass.