Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : What boro colours should I buy?

Leanne
2006-07-30, 7:24am
I already have the following colours:
Northstar:
amber purple (my personal fav), double amber purple, light blue amber purple, green amber purple, ruby, yellow 09, pomegranite, rust, multi, turquesa (never gotten any colour out of this), aurora, caramel, blue caramel
GA:
Silver strike 5
Triple Passion

Momka:
Silver dance
Silver iris
blue lightning
Green envy

I really have had very very limited sucess with the boro I do have. I bought most of the northstart to use in the boro cookbook. I did make some ok beads but I don't think I have quite 'gotten' boro yet.
What combinations of the above colour beads could I use to get easy results? Give me instructions on what to do including flame atmosphere PLEASE HELP ME!
The recipes in the cookbooks are obviously good just I think I screw em up!
I want to try the 10mm clear encased with pomegranite then encased with 09 yellow twisted and pulled down to 6mm to make the pink panther beads in it. Is it easy to get it to turn pink?
Also have I maybe not got my kiln up high enough. I have it at 1050 do you need to bring it up higher to strike pinks etc?

Ok my main question is if I am going to buy more momkas and northstar (and maybe ga but probably not)
What colours do you suggest I buy that are foolproof but also have really nice effecs??

Cosmo
2006-07-30, 8:01am
Some of my favorites:

GA Solara
GA Triple Passion
GA Spring Luster
GA Warm Yellow

Elvis (once you use this, you'll throw away all your other reds)

NS Blue Moon
NS Multi
NS Dark Multi

gennym
2006-07-30, 11:28am
I feel bad about suggesting that you spend more money on tutorials but I wasn't at all happy with my boro beads until I got Doug Remschneider's DVD and saw his technique for "painting" clear with a variety of colors to make the core beads and then before shaping the bead and applying clear either in a wavy pattern or twisting it with a tool - then shape and strike. Everything came out very interesting and sometimes beautiful (although like many other people who've posted on wetcanvas I never got Dougie Pink to look that great by itself). Actually, I don't flame strike anymore but take the kiln temp from 1050 to 1150 for about 30min. I'd also try not to buy all dark tinted glass - it can all starts to look the same in small beads. I've been twisting light blues together and combining the transparent red Elvis with some of Paula's (www.thevenerable-bead.com) red frit for really pretty colors (I think you'd like all of her frit because of its vibrant colors). Another good Momka color is Rhapsody in Blue that gives you a combination of blue and green - I like to twist it with more clear so you can see the swirly colors. After three years of working with boro I'd recommend going light for happier results!

valerie_folly
2006-07-31, 2:12pm
Try Paula's frits, you won't be disappointed!

LAG
2006-08-01, 7:27am
Try Momkas Exotic Citrus, Charlie Brown and Purple Haze and Yes, do get some of Paula's frits. They are fool-proof! Be sure to use lots of clear in your boro to enhance most of the colors.

Venbead
2006-08-02, 3:23pm
Thank you ladies for the kudos. I am working with Kay on a new recipe. watch for it very soon!!!!

Over the Moon
2006-08-02, 6:49pm
Oh joy! I want whatever you two ladies are cooking up! I just KNOW it's gonna be good...