Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : baking soda beads...."safe" or not?

lunesse
2005-08-17, 10:41am
I love the look of baking soda beads, I did one in one of the newbie challenges over at WC and it was way fun. But someone said they aren't really good beads to sell, the bubbles make them more prone to breaking, etc. Is this true? Should I never make a bubbled bead for someone else? I don't want to ever give someone something that might break on them down the line...

DreamMuse
2005-08-18, 1:08pm
Well, I've never made baking soda beads, so I don't know if there's a chemical reaction that makes them more prone to breaking. Maybe they were thinking it was because of the bubbles - if they were to get whacked, the air bubbles in the bead might make the casing more fragile. But that wouldn't make them any more prone to breaking than, say, hollows LOL

That's the first I've heard, and I've seen quite a few people making them. You'd think it would be more common knowledge if that were the case.

ChaseDesigns
2005-08-18, 3:39pm
Yea well it is something of a problem. But it's kink of a volitile question, so those who know are a little sheepish to speak up. But I'll stick my foot in it.

The problem as I understand it is the reaction of the baking soda (SODA) with the soft glass (also known as SODA/LIME glass) basically the soda content of the glass is upped. This means the glass with the baking soda is different from the rest of the glass in the bead. This results in different COEs within the bead which makes 'em unstable if encased. If done on the surface, the glass may become soluable in weak acids (yes, glass can be made soluable if not correctly formulated). I made some years ago. Some cracked right away, some took quite a while to crack. But pretty much all but one has cracked. I know of other beadmakers who have had the same experience. I also know of one very well known beadmaker that uses this technique a lot for their signiture bead.

Personally I won't use it. There MAY be a way to use it safely (for the bead) but I don't think it's really been explained, and may be one of those "trade secrets". I do advise extreme caution if this is a style one wants to pursue. At the very least do a freezer test (put bead in plastic bag, place in freezer for hours/over night, dunk bead in warm-not hot-water. Do a side by side test against a similar sized bead of all 1 type of glass. It's a good general test if you're unsure of stability).

Good Luck! Pushing the limites of what we know is not a bad thing. Just be sure before it's put up for sale.

Greg

SuzyQ
2005-08-18, 7:10pm
Hey I remember that challenge! ;)

Thanks for the explanation Greg.

DreamMuse
2005-08-19, 7:14am
Ohhhhh!!! That makes so much sense, Greg! Thanks for explaining it. I'm glad you jumped in. I appreciate knowing that.

I personally haven't tried baking soda; too many other things that I want to try. But I did want to make a couple vessels and use baking soda to make the outside look rough. Maybe I'll try enamels instead.

Thanks!

lunesse
2005-08-19, 8:30pm
I bet you DO, Suzy! ;)

Yes, thanks Greg. I'm more than fine making them for myself, but if others saw them and liked them...

I will do further experimenting, thank you for the explaination and the tests. =)