Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Newbie confusion....

jana
2006-08-03, 3:56am
I am a bit confused about something I made last night....

I used Schott clear and Mombkas Silver Dance....

I made an implosion off mandrel pendant and all is well....put it under the fiber blanket and came out fine this morning.

I made 3 implosion beads and put them under the same blanket and every single one of them cracked down the middle.

Why does the pendant, that I am working on longer and leaving it out of the flame longer (by the time I mess with the loop), not crack, but my beads did?

I know it is better to put them straight into a kiln, but I bought one at the Gathering and will not be delivered until next week. I just found boro and can't stop playing with it and did not want to wait for the kiln, so I wanted to take them into the LBS for batch annealing.

rosiescreations
2006-08-03, 4:04am
When they crack right down the middle it is thermal shock.
You won't have much of a problem at all when you get your kiln.

jana
2006-08-03, 3:56pm
Thanks for your reply....I assumed I would not of had any problems if my kiln was here, I just did not understand why a bigger piece made of the same glass and out of the heat longer made it but 3 small beads did not....confuses me.

rusticstudio
2006-08-03, 6:08pm
It's probably because the mandrel causes extra stress.

gennym
2006-08-03, 7:05pm
I've been noticing breaks in my second bead when I make a pair using certain colors so you have to be very careful and keep them warm.

jana
2006-08-04, 3:52am
If I make "pressed" boro beads, they do not crack under the blanket....if I make round or implosion boro beads, they crack everytime!

I think I need a physics lesson!

Juln
2006-08-04, 11:26pm
You might try flame annealing the beads a bit in the back of the flame to help them cool down evenly before you put them in the blanket.
Until you get your kiln, of course.