Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : DON'T do this!!!

misfit
2005-08-18, 9:05pm
well I have useful advice... I was speaking to the owner of the local pottery studio and he suggested making cores for vessels out of high fire clay- that the temp wouldn't be enough to cure it and it would be brittle and clean out easily. well he convinced me it was worth a try- NO IT ISN'T- DON'T DO IT EVER!! everything was going fairly well untill the "core" exploded... luckily it didn't hit my hoses- just me. I've very bad burns from the well melted glass that coated the core on my left hand. I'm taking the time to post this incase anyone else is told the same thing I was- not sure why it exploded- don't care the risk of it doing so is just too much.

be well
the newly one handed typer...
A.

Anakin's Glass Eye
2005-08-18, 9:11pm
Moisture in the clay.

misfit
2005-08-18, 9:15pm
Moisture in the clay.

unlikely- spent 2 hours in a 400 degree oven. more likely to have been a small air bubble I was told. doesn't matter why however- the risk of injury once just isn't worth the effort. could have been my face, or neck... its just my hand. still waiting for the taxi to the ER. very bad burn.

A

Terri-S
2005-08-18, 10:24pm
Gee Alan, that's awful!!! Hiope you heal up real quick!

Lizabeads
2005-08-18, 10:53pm
unlikely- spent 2 hours in a 400 degree oven. more likely to have been a small air bubble I was told. doesn't matter why however- the risk of injury once just isn't worth the effort. could have been my face, or neck... its just my hand. still waiting for the taxi to the ER. very bad burn.

A
Don't feel to bad.. I grabbed a hot mandrel in the kiln that was falling out with a bare hand...shit shit [-o<

DreamMuse
2005-08-19, 7:15am
omg!! Alan and Elizabeth - GET BETTER!!!!

misfit
2005-08-19, 7:15am
its good to learn through exsperiance- better to learn from other peoples however and I hope no one else tries this...

A.

ps. its likely to be a while before I torch again- but the hand will heal with use of all the fingers. :)

BillBrach
2005-08-19, 8:14am
BIG COE difference with clay bodies. The clay doesn't shink as much as the glass, causing big problems when it cools.

The glass puts a 'death grip' on the clay body until it cracks !! I know this all too well as I've tried using inverted clay 'cups' for slumping. Only way I've been able to seperate them is if I reach into the kiln at about 700 degrees and twist the glass off the clay cup. Kinda tricky to do with those durn gloves on !!

misfit
2005-08-19, 8:18am
as I said putting glass on clay in the torch is not really worth doing- with my brand new perspective I truely believe that anyone who tries it is likely to wish they hadn't. just don't do it <shrug> if the urge to do it happens to wander by and grab you, resist. its less painful in the long run.

A.

P.s. the kiln may be a different story I don't know. also don't know why I keep getting the feeling people with explainations why it didn't work are thinking about trying it. Maybe because when someone tells me what went wrong and I say "well maybe if you did this instead..." I'm already thinking about doing it. ](*,)