Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Propane Regulator Fluctuations

Nokomis
2006-08-11, 9:21am
I had to take a 3 month involuntary hiatus from torching due to surgery. Last Sat. I FINALLY was able to torch again and started with full propane tank. I noticed some fluctuations (+/- approx 2 pounds) on the propane regulator. I was wondering if this is normal when using a just filled propane tank ( I seem to remember this happening in the past and then it mellowed out as the tank was emptied of some of the propane). My propane regulator is about 3.5 years old...... is it time for a new one? How often should hoses, regulators etc. be replaced? BTW, the flame at the actual torch face was only minimally impacted (easily workable)- had none of the large flame fluctuations that some folks have experienced. Thanks for your help!

Jenny

Dale M.
2006-08-11, 7:46pm
Most regulators that are fluctuating are not sensitive to very low pressures (in areas of 3-5psi). Conventional wisdom seems to be to boost up pressure to 6-8 psi and problem should go away....

Dale

Nokomis
2006-08-12, 4:53pm
Thank you Dale, I will try this. Is there a consensus regarding how often regulators shouldbe replaced? Thank you for answering my question. You always come through :-)

jenny

Dale M.
2006-08-12, 6:31pm
Actually a regulator should function forever.... Well at least till it fails.... I have a set of welding regulators that are about 25 years old and function just fine and I see no reasen to replace them untill they show some sort of failure....

Dale