Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Am I nuts?

angie4680
2006-08-11, 1:19pm
Ok, is it really possible, that I, who has never torched in her life, could figure out what to buy, hook everything up, and be successful at boro? I've been combing these threads forever, getting what info I can, but I figured I may as well come out and ask. The only classes close to me is 1 soft glass class, and nothing boro, even in Denver. I would be starting in my basement, and hopefully moving to a storage garage we are hoping to build next to the house. I'm a little nervous making that big of an investment for a hobby (maybe more!) and nervous about getting everything set up without blowing up the house:???: If you all had to start over again, what equipment would you get? I'm just planning on beads, pendants and maybe small sculptures/ornaments. Any advice sure would be appreciated!!!

Over the Moon
2006-08-11, 2:04pm
Oh yes - it really is possible! I live in Canada - in a rather remote area...no classes at all around me for hundreds of miles. There is so mch fabulous information from so many generous people on all these forums - that is how I learned, so I know it's 'doable'!
"All" you need to set yourself up is a torch, a kiln, some glass, a few tools, ventilation, and...time, patience and practice!
Come on over to the "dark" side - you won't be sorry!

Aleigh
2006-08-11, 2:49pm
Ya know... even though you eventually want to go boro, I think it would still benefit you to at least take a basic class and get a feel for making beads and working with glass and a torch, whether it's soft or boro.

I think Bella Glass in Denver still has classes. I took one a few years back with Cindy Brown. I would think some of the basic principles would apply, like how to get nice dimple ends...etc.

What about Glasscraft out of Boulder? You have a really active bead society down there too. Is it the Rocky Mountain Bead society? I bet you'd have more support then you think.

Also, I ordered my first set-up from research on-line and asking questions on forums. I will never forget how much my knees and hands were shaking the day that I lit it up my torch for the first time. I had literally no idea of what I was doing and just dove right in. I have not regretted for one minute!

Amy

angie4680
2006-08-11, 4:09pm
Thanks for your replies. I've called every bead store in this area and they refer me to this guy who won't call back. Beading IS big here, that's why I can't believe nobody offers classes. Boulder doesn't do boro either. Man I could make a killing if I could just figure this out! I've checked into the Rocky Mountain bead society too, and nada. I think I can do this on my own, just a little intimidated. Any thoughts on torches, kilns and anything else would be great. Just don't want to spend on more than I really need. Thanks again.
Angie

evilglass
2006-08-11, 4:24pm
I think you can do it on your own...it's not *that* different than soft glass, and many many of us are self taught.

I'd get a frit sampler pack from one company, one of the bigger ones, and a lot of clear.

I'd read like a demon on what torch to get, but there's a ton of different opinions. Minors work for small boro, decide on tanked vs concentrator for o2. And check out garage sales for kilns. I got a behemoth kiln for $25, plus loads of kiln furniture. It's too big, but I like it anyway. No digital controller, but I'm working on that for it. It's in so much better shape than my other kiln that has the crumbling firebrick (also used, $50, manual controller).

Don't forget eye protection!

Mr. Smiley
2006-08-11, 6:27pm
I'm self taught... I highly reccomend just playing with glass in the fire. It takes more time, but the knowledge you have is intimate. ;)

gennym
2006-08-11, 7:01pm
It would be nice to take a class but the rationale everyone gave me for taking a class with soft glass never panned out (because all I could think of was boro boro boro)....and I just ended up with a torch that wasn't hot enough and lots of moretti glass that I gave away. You can definitely learn on your own but why not see if you can find someone to buddy up with and give you some support? - but if not you'll certainly get help here.

angie4680
2006-08-11, 8:32pm
Thanks guys for taking the time. I might just go ahead and take a class just to feel comfortable, but I will definitely be thinking boro, boro, boro too. So just a pirahna or betta with an m-10 would work out great? That's what I'm thinking. The kiln I dunno. Great idea about the garage sales! Thanks again
Angie

suzanne
2006-08-11, 11:52pm
No you are not nuts. I started torching about a year and a half ago, never took a class ( those where not available here at all) and started boro about six months ago, no class either since again , not available here.

It is definetly possible to do it, but if you have the chance to take a class , please do. It will save you a lot of time, glass, and frustration. If you don;t have the opportunity to take a class start reading. Read everything about glass, torches, heat, and all other things about glass. Get books, dvd's and get educated.

Good luck,
Suzanne

Venbead
2006-08-12, 6:10am
angie I am working in my basement and I wanted to do boro from the beginning too. I took a 9 week soft glass class with jenn geldard and I drove her crazy with questions about boro throughout the class. I even brought boro into the class to play with. Jenn knew I was a boro girl from the start and she was patient about it. You can use the same principals and you will save yourself several years of mistakes. Just don't go whole hog and buy a bunch of moretti. just a sample pack will do you for the class.
The class also got me over the anxiety of turning the torch on and taught the basic safety issues so important to glasswork. when I set up at home I bought 2 5 liter oxy cons on ebay from precisie concepts (hobbiesforus). I also plumbed into my natural gas line. I started with a minor but quickly graduated to a midrange burner (both nortel). I went with a home made vent system by buying an industrial kitchen hood but if I had to do it over I would have bought a hood from glassgraft. save your self the time and aggravation and get one that you know will have enough CFM's to vent boro work. I also had a sheet metal place fabricate a box to go from the hood down to the workstation and I bought a piece of scrap plexiglass to close the front of my setup more (I'm working in my basement with my kiddos right upstairs and I want the bad stuff going right out the vent). I bought my kiln from ebay as well. get one with a digital controller and get a brick kiln in case you decide you want to fuse or slump glass later. I had incredible customer service from 2glasslasses (I think that was their name PM me if you can't find them) on ebay. Buy doug remshnieders boro bead magic DVD and his recipe book. get lori robbins recipe book as well and buy sample packs from northstar, glass alchemey and Momkas. get 3mm 6mm and 8 mm (and 12 too if you want to do small pendants) clear boro rods either simax or pyrex. Oh and invest in a good pair of boro glasses. I started with the aur92 and a welding shade 5 over it but that proved to be extremely heavy and DARK and very frustrating. forget that and spend the close to $300 getting the right thing. I bought mine from Mike at auralens. as far as tools you will need a marver ,1/8 and 3/32 mandrels (forget the 1/16th size you won't need them for boro) a graphite paddle, a tungsten pick, tweezers and small needlenose pliers, a pick and a rake are helpful, a brass stump tool is also nice. there's probably lots I forgot but that's a basic outline. Hope that's helpful and I'd be happy to answer any PM's you want to shoot me. good luck relax and have fun. you are where each one of us was before we took a walk to the boro side of town.

Venbead
2006-08-12, 6:17am
one more thing, scour flea markets and yard sales for tools and storage. these are things I picked up at yard sales: old metal file cabinent to put my kiln on. I bought a shoe storage unit for glass storage. I bought a pair of stainless steel scissors(good old fashioned tailors scissors) , various knives and small metal shaping tools. wires baskets for storage. milk crates for storage (I flipped several milk crates over and use the slots for glass sorage.) You'd be surprised where you can find things for your studio.

Cosmo
2006-08-12, 6:59am
A lot of people talk about boro like it's some sort of magical new material that only a select few have ever used. Boro has been around for a long time. I know several glass blowers who have never used anything but boro. It's entirely possible to learn on boro. In fact, I think it would be easier to work with boro if you start out on it, rather than switching from soft glass to boro. It's more forgiving and easier to work with. The only reason I don't teach my beginning classes with boro is because of the extra amount of heat and eye protection it requires and the expense of the glass itself.

angie4680
2006-08-12, 7:37am
Wow thanks Paula! How your basement is set up is really helpful! I guess I'm more concerned with getting everthing set up right (ie. gas line, oxy, torch, etc.) But I'm assuming when I order the torch or oxy the instructions will be pretty good, right? That stuff confuses me. Do I need a regulator on my gas line or does it go right to the torch and regulates itself? The class I'm still up in the air about. One lady is $150 for one day, and another guy is $70 if I can get him to call me. I'd spend the 70 bucks but I'm not sure if the 150 is worth it. I guess it can't hurt and she might be able to answer some set up questions. Anyway thanks a lot!!
Angie

Venbead
2006-08-12, 7:47am
$150 for a whole day of instruction is cheap! make sure the instructor has at least 2 years at the torch.
you do not need a gas regulator. your plumber should be able to bring the gasline right to where your setup will be and you will attach your red hose directly to the gasline with a little adaptor fitting from your local welding shop.
the green hose will attach directly to your oxycon and if you have 2 you will get a little Y connector

Venbead
2006-08-12, 7:48am
don't forget to get a fire extingusher and a carbon monoxide/smoke detector for your studio, very important safety tools

Venbead
2006-08-12, 8:12am
A lot of people talk about boro like it's some sort of magical new material that only a select few have ever used.

It may not be new Chad but it sure is magical~mystical~and a downright religious experience at times!!!!!