Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Ack! Problems with Vetro Black

DawnT
2005-08-19, 3:53pm
I decided to make a large set of black and white beads so that I can concentrate on perfecting some skills rather than worry about color. All of the sudden my black is starting to burn or something. One of the beads out of the kiln yesterday (round with simple raised flowers) came out looking metallic and matte like it had been reduced. Today I'm noticing that ALL of my beads are getting those tiny bubbles. I've used 2 different batches of Vetrofond, turned up my oxy, turned down my flame...etc. I cannot figure this out. Anyone else have this problem with black? I have never had this happen with black in the year I've been making beads and I'm stumped (and praying something's not wrong with my torch [-o< ).

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2005-08-19, 4:03pm
Yes, it doesn't like to be marvered or smashed in my experience, cause it bubbles on me too. I am hoping an expert will come along & give us the soloution here!!! I do ok if I just keep them on a brass tool or press. Or in twistys.

~Suzy~

krista michael
2005-08-19, 5:56pm
It doesn't like to be overheated or marvered on graphite. Use a brass tool if you need to marver and work a little farther out in the flame. Not too far out, closer in than rubino or alabastros but just a little further out than a "regular" color. My vetrofond white bubbles too but I still love this glass!

Barb H.
2005-08-19, 8:11pm
WOW Me too! I just made such a pretty set this evening. And then...........I noticed it. I was wondering what the problem was. Thanks for bringing it up, I thought it was just me. I thought I was far enough out of the flame, but I guess not. Didn't notice any bubbles yet, just some dullness in spots. Barb H.

Lisi
2005-08-20, 12:17pm
That's exactly why I use mostly Effetre black, and I just use the Vetrofond to swirl with white because it makes a nice bluish gray color. I ruined so many beads with the Vetro, so I went back to Effetre.

DawnT
2005-08-20, 3:01pm
Yep I think I'm going back to Effetre black as well but...I wish I hadn't just bought 2 pounds of the Vetro lol ](*,)

Lisi
2005-08-23, 7:08am
Yep I think I'm going back to Effetre black as well but...I wish I hadn't just bought 2 pounds of the Vetro lol ](*,)

No don't fret, Dawn! (cyber pat on the shoulder, teehee!) You can still use it, but I would use it for small beads that aren't going to spend much time in the flame to start having troubles. My beads are about 10-13mm and I use the Vetro as a base for a lot of the frits, and no trouble there. But when it comes to making one of my round focals (20-22mm), forget it, lol!

Shawn T
2005-08-23, 9:14am
By the way if you ever have trouble with some of your frits bubbleing or pitting is it usually due to graphite also. First turn down your flame and than only use brass to shape your beads and most of the pitting will disapper.

I have had some trouble with vetrofond black doing the same thing, but know to trun down my flame and use only brass with it, it helps greatly. I do like the reaction I can get with vetrofond, so it has it's place in my color world.
Not as much trouble with white, but my white batches seem to shock like crazy most the time.